Royal Navy AW Seahawk FB3, 1:48 Trumpeter. 738 NAS Red devils

Good day to you all, Happy Thursday! Welcome along to my latest completion. This is my Trumpeter 1:48 Seahawk FGA 6 converted to an FB3 and dressed as a member of the Red Devils. The Red devils were an aerobatic team of 5 aircraft from 738 Naval Air Squadron running for a couple of years in the early 1950s. Their claim to fame was being the first team to (intentionally!) use smoke as part of their display. I have depicted the aircraft folded as the aircraft started their display folded, taxied to the dispersal and then did some synchronized wing spreading just before taking off. Also, it shows off the large underwing Royal navy.

The model is OOB with only an aftermarket seat installed which is a huge improvement on the kit version. It was a spare I had kicking around, it looks a bit different so may well be the wrong type for this aircraft but it does look better! I also remodeled the nose, gun ports, wing fold, intakes and tail bullet. The decals are aftermarket from Model Alliance Naval display teams set, a nice set but I felt the white was a little too transparent. The paint finish is Model Master Acryl signal red which almost gives the red a 1950s shade to it! To convert from a FGA 6 to an FB3 was more or less just an antenna change around. There was no other major modification involved. See link below for the WIP

Build link

Anyway, enjoy the phots!

20210310_170828

20210310_170744

20210310_170822

20210310_174519

20210310_174803 20210310_170840

20210310_170928

And here it is with their Classic Airframes counterpart

20210310_174831

Thanks for looking in!

Bob

• Like 36

Good day all!, Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you like it :winkgrin: There is in fact you tube footage of one of their displays. Its only a couple of minutes long but the first few seconds where they do the syncronised wing spread is a sight to behold especially for us old and grey WAFU types! Hope the link works.

https://youtu.be/9gDJVNcnXeA

I appreciate the work that went into making this kit and it looks great!  And I really do love the choice of the red scheme, after a while you need something to break up the grey and green on the shelf and this does this very nicely.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1