Hataka paints - acrylic

Adam Poultney

I'm looking at getting some Hataka Red Line paints for RAF colours. Specifically I'm looking at their bomber command set and Falklands Vol.2 set. This should give me everything I need for any upcoming RAF ww2 projects and should also give me everything I need for camouflaged Vulcans. 

How do these paints compare to Vallejo and Tamiya, which I currently use? What airbrush cleaners, thinners, etc work best with these?

I’m currently spaying Hataka redline paint as part of their Ukrainian paint set for a flanker I’m building. I usually use Tamiya paints as I find them easy to get on with. The redline series is designed for airbrushing and I think are pre-thinned but I’m finding them definitely thicker than Tamiya paint but if I go near them with thinners they seem to be too runny. Difficult to get the mix just right so would be interested to see what the advice is as well. 

I use the Hataka Red Line Paints for airbrushing. The descriptions are a bit mis-leading - they are optimised for airbrush (I'm assuming this is down to the smaller size of the pigments? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), however, they do still require thinning. I use Hataka's own acrylic thinner which works well. Personally I find they perform as well as the Vallejo model air, with the added bonus that they need thinning, so a bottle of paint lasts longer.