Mirage IIIEA, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, Falklands '82, 1:72 Modelsvit

It is really excelent work. I am very inspired to build it too. 

Please can anybody explain the history of yellow ID marks?  I never have seen it on FAA Mirages (not meaning Daggers). I tried to find some informations and get following. The yellow ID was on Mirages later in the war. At the beginning there were brown? ID. At least some photos proves this, but for me it is uncertain if the brown was also used on the wings. I would like to build Mirage (I-015 or 019) shot down on 1.st May, therefore I am not sure about exact colours and locations of ID. 

1 hour ago, David Koktavý said:

Please can anybody explain the history of yellow ID marks?  I never have seen it on FAA Mirages (not meaning Daggers). I tried to find some informations and get following. The yellow ID was on Mirages later in the war. At the beginning there were brown? ID. At least some photos proves this, but for me it is uncertain if the brown was also used on the wings. I would like to build Mirage (I-015 or 019) shot down on 1.st May, therefore I am not sure about exact colours and locations of ID. 

Yellow ID were on all Fuerza Aerea Argentina combat aircraft (Daggers, A-4s, Mirages, Pucaras, Canberras etc.) since April 1982. They were in different positions and shapes, depending on unit.

Because they were considered ineffective or even harmful, all yellow IDs were overpainted about 25 May 1982. The FAA units were not prepared for this operation, so the yellow stripes were overpainted with random paints (that were supplied or that could be bought in nearby stores). That's why some Daggers and Skyhawks from the end of May had blue stripes and others brown or sand -  it depended on the base where they were stationed.

So if you see photo of FAA aircraft with yellow bands - it probably was taken in April or May 1982. If you see other color in place of yellow bands - it could be taken after 25 May 1982. 

All Mirage IIIEAs yellow bands were overpainted with brown, but on 1st May 1982 they should have yellow IDs, so both I-015 and I-019 were shot down with yellow IDs (probably the same shape and form as on my I-014 model).

Zdravim!

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cześć / Ahoj / Hello  Alex,

Thanks a lot for your explanation . Now it makes more sense to me 👍

Some minutes ago I spoke with my friend who has Aztec decals Part 2 (For Daggers). There in the instructions sheet is mentioned that after 1st May when Mirage 019 was shot down by friendly fire, there was order to recognise friendly/foe by yellow IDs for all planes. Then it was realised it is not good and another order to cancel yellow IDs was given around 25 May. 

So If it is right, I would say, I have to make I-019 or I-015 in basic camouflage. But I will check it with photos of other plane photos and its date. 

Have a nice day,

David

• Thanks 1

Yes, that is possible. I've read somewhere, that order for yellow ID bands was issued earlier (on 28th April), but I have no proof for that. And even if it's true we can not be sure that on 1st of May all FAA aircraft were already given yellow IDs.

So now I think that I-015 or I-019 without yellow IDs is better choice for modeller - we can't be sure if they ever wore it. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of these particular Mirages from a war period.

• Thanks 1

I just found in Falklands/Malvinas book from Hikoki a mention in chapter for Pucará. They get an order really on 28th April. 

Well, I will make some more investigation and then decide this point. I think I have some time as I will start to build Mirage this week and camouflage I will make later. 

I would bet, after finishing my build there will be discovered some colourful nice photo of the plane from 1.st May which will be different from my kit.... as it sometimes happen to me 😏🙂 

39 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

I would bet, after finishing my build there will be discovered some colourful nice photo of the plane from 1.st May which will be different from my kit.... as it sometimes happen to me 😏🙂 

Ha ha, me too 😁

Best regards! 🍺

• 1 year later...