Eduard Spitfire Mk.1 - Dogsbody’s 222 Sqn machine

Good afternoon,

My first completion of 2021 is here! Talk about being a slow builder..

First of all a special mention to @Ray_W who sorted me out with replacement roundels after I buggered the originals up + all those who popped in to my WIP to help. Cheers gents! 

WIP here

I started this late last year and thought it would be a fun idea to display with the flaps down. Duly I bought the Eduard PE flaps set and thought ‘how hard can this be eh?’. At least a month of misery ensued trying to fit the blasted things. I may use them again as they definitely add to the look of the finished article but they definitely added to my stress levels. 

The fit of the Eduard plastic is great, except the ailerons, which while fitting well, have somewhat flimsy attachment points. The coloured PE was lovely, the canopy masks were good although the rear canopy had to be trimmed, which was a bit of an annoyance. I had a minor disaster when painting as the upper cowling seam appeared out of nowhere and my paint decided to craze. So I had to do an entire upper surface respray. Paints used were Vallejo and Modelmaster acrylics, a pledge gloss coat and Vallejo matt varnish to seal it all in.

Decals actually worked better than I expected. They bedded down well and the carrier film is invisible under the varnish. I dabbled with removing the carrier film but to no avail. 

No panel line wash as I didn’t think it needed one. Exhaust stains done with Mig Rubber paint and some drybrushing. All other weathering done with Revell weathering powder. Aerial was done with Uschi thread which I really enjoyed using. 

Without further ado, here is the finished article: 

51025638267_01e53d3a32_b.jpg

51024809913_f2a3c25a7f_b.jpg

51025536406_9f77fc3ec9_b.jpg

51024801493_138e4e4108_b.jpg

51025638177_475b67fefc_b.jpg

51025536221_b2bc81498e_b.jpg

51025630072_7c1a563283_b.jpg

51025638307_7a8f5930b2_b.jpg

Happy to hear your thoughts!

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

You were right not to weather the living daylights out of it, it looks fine.  All it really needs to sent it off is a set of checks and an erk leaning into the cockpit fiddling with the flap lever so that DB won't have to buy a round that evening😂😂.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Doccur changed the title to Eduard Spitfire Mk.1 - Dogsbody’s 222 Sqn machine

Thanks all for your kind comments! :) 

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

You were right not to weather the living daylights out of it, it looks fine.  All it really needs to sent it off is a set of checks and an erk leaning into the cockpit fiddling with the flap lever so that DB won't have to buy a round that evening😂😂.

Yes I had already been told that flaps down on the ground would result in a boll*#$ing but they look good soooo. 

I think @Troy Smith mentioned these aircraft weren’t weathered to pieces so I kept it a bit restrained and I am glad I have done so. 

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 2

Well done Ash!. Great job. So pleased to see it all finished and with the dedication applied. Hurricane next?

Ray

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Ray_W

I really appreciate it. Up next is a Revell Tonka! Doing it as a retirement gift for a colleague, which explains the stray from my usual comfort zone of single seat piston aircraft! 

Ash

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

You know you want to.  The new-ish Airfix Hurricane I comes highly recommended.

I have one sitting in the stash, reckon it will have to be a other one of Bader’s aircraft! To go with the spit! 

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

I have one sitting in the stash, reckon it will have to be a other one of Bader’s aircraft! To go with the spit! 

If you don’t already have a copy Xtradecal sheet X48144 has markings for Bader’s well-known V7467 LE:D from 242 Squadron.  There are some other interesting options on there too, just in case you change your mind😉.

• Thanks 1

Excellent built. May I suggest you used the hairspray technic for the karman chipping. It will give you far more realistic effects. My two cents.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stever219 said:

If you don’t already have a copy Xtradecal sheet X48144 has markings for Bader’s well-known V7467 LE:D from 242 Squadron.  There are some other interesting options on there too, just in case you change your mind😉.

Fortunately I already have the sheet! All I need now is the time 🤣

10 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Very nicely done, makes me want to get on with my one.

Duncan B

I couldn’t agree more Duncan! Do it! You know you want to haha 

5 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Excellent built. May I suggest you used the hairspray technic for the karman chipping. It will give you far more realistic effects. My two cents.

thanks ! This is something I need to learn how to do but haven’t taken the plunge with. How would you recommend I go about it? 

Ash

It is fairly easy to do. First get yourself an hair spray can, the cheapest one. Decant a long pschitt in a tin and spray this over the silver. Let it dry. Then spray the top color (acrilyc work best). Let it dry ! Then get a cup of hot water and distremper the zone you want to work with. Use a toothpick to start and a short cut old brushto scratch the paint surface. The earliest you do the best it works. Damp wit a tissue et voilà!

• Thanks 1