Theoden King of Rohan 54 mm

Ted

I started a conversion of an old Airfix Scots Grey. He'll hopefully end up as Theoden from Lord of the Rings charging to save Minas Tirith.

I found a random resin head in my boneyard that is perfect. Repositioned his arms and sculpted his helmet, loosely based on Anglo Saxon helms. Hard to tell but there's a tiny dragon on the brow. I just did his mail sleeve tonight. I carved one of his stirrup pant legs into a tall boot.

20210310_204834

20210310_204816

I modified the 1796 heavy cavalry sword to represent Herugrim, made the pomel into a dragon. The shield will be embossed kind of like the Battersea shield. That's been the hardest thing to sculpt so far,

20210310_204922

• Like 9

I found a quicker way to do chain mail. I have not tried this with greenstuff but it works with Milliput.

Rather than using a pin or wire, tap the filler with a cheap toothbrush. I use one that has bristles all the same length, not one of the modern ones with differing length bristles.

I used this method on the Roman centurion in this vignette -

43157458120_0f44bd1696_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niall said:

I found a quicker way to do chain mail. I have not tried this with greenstuff but it works with Milliput.

Rather than using a pin or wire, tap the filler with a cheap toothbrush. I use one that has bristles all the same length, not one of the modern ones with differing length bristles.

I used this method on the Roman centurion in this vignette -

43157458120_0f44bd1696_n.jpg

Good idea, can you post a bigger picture with a closeup? 

The toothpick took about 15 min for the sleeve. If I was modelling the Rohirim host I'd definitely want a faster method.

I don't know why that is such a small photo. I have not got any others, so I'll have to take the model out of the display case and take a couple of new photos. So it will be a day or 2.

I forgot to mention the figures are converted Airfix Multipose Africa Korps and 8th Army figures, The Ballista is scratch built.

Edited by Niall
Corrected capitals
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Niall said:

I don't know why that is such a small photo. I have not got any others, so I'll have to take the model out of the display case and take a couple of new photos. So it will be a day or 2.

I forgot to mention the figures are converted Airfix Multipose Africa Korps and 8th Army figures, The Ballista is scratch built.

Don't go to any trouble. I can also just try out the technique and see how it goes.

I love your converted figures. and the scene you made. I have an old Airfix magazine where a guy shows how he converted 54 mm plastic figures into Normans and Anglo Saxons. It opens up a new world of modeling.

Converting 54mm figures is an art in itself; takes a lot of patience and a lot of skill.

You guys are to be congratulated on posting the photos and showing the rest of us how it's done.

Those converted Romans are outstanding.

I didn't do much conversion to Snowmane the horse, added some straps and a couple little decorations to his brow and his breast. It's base coated and I'll do a bit of shading and highlighting. 

20210315_223620

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, Niall said:

I found the original photo of my Ballista vignette on 1 of my camera's SD cards.

Nice, the armour and helmet scratchbuilding is really good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I finally got back to this little hero. Started sculpting his flapping tunic and finished the embossed decorations on his shield. I"ll add some coats of acrylic medium to smooth things out a bit.

20220306_145200

• Like 1

I think I've finished making the shield and put a first coat of gold paint on it. I put him on his horse temporarily for inspiration while I procrastinate finishing the sculpting.

20220308_152351

20220308_152401

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the sculpting on the king of the Mark. It was a big hurdle because I don't have much sculpting experience. And I feel reverence for good sculptors. 

I think Snowmane deserves a bit more decoration on her harness. And I still need to add the buckles for the sword belt. But I feel really good now that the bulk of the conversions are done.

20220317_151838

20220317_151846

20220317_151852

• Like 4

Here is Theoden with base coats mostly done. Used acrylics and will mostly continue with them. I might use some oil paints later.

20220320_160513

20220320_160531

• Like 3