RNZAF Mosquito - 75 Squadron

Hi All,

Another Build, this like the Meteor to be reasonably quick-ish builds

(yeah I know famous last word right :whistle:)

When folks think of New Zealander's and Mosquito's, they would think

Raids on Gestapo HQ/Amiens etc.

Two Article XV Squadrons flew them in the ETO  during WWII, the likes of

487 Squadron

Mosquito, HX855 EG-O

PR9046.t5ea32c36.m800.xA6vkOM4O.jpg

487 Sqn attack on Gestapo Headquarters at Aarhus, Denmark

MUS95041.t5f7f6edc.m800.xcagHLA-f.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

488 Squadron (this Squadron forming at1941 at Rongotai in New Zealand, and our first true Fighter Squadron)

Possibly Gilze-Rijen, Holland.

PR6109.t5ec0391a.m800.xWbY2AgIc.jpg

The New Zealand association with the Mosquito didn't end with the close of WWII.

In 1946 and 1947, the New Zealand Government purchased for the RNZAF  a number of

Mosquitos, both from Britain and Australia

The below are some of the Aussie Mosquitos preparing to leave RNZAF Station Whenuapai for RNZAF Station Ohakea

the first two are A52-1005 and  A52-1006 Respectively

MUS97105_1.t5fff498f.m800.x6gsc-FXK.jpg

The Mosquitos from Britain were flown out by RAF/RNZAF Aircrews - A number of these (along with some of the Australian Mosquitos

were put into Storage (much like the Mustangs), a number being brought back into service early 1950's

The main operator of the Mosquitos was 75 Squadron, now a true/total RNZAF Squadron.

These operated from RNZAF Station Ohakea coded YC - *

OhG490-47.t5fc03f1d.m600.xEIok4bIF.jpg

OhG880-51.t5fb70fcf.m600.x__LeuTy4.jpg

The predominate Colour was HSS (High Speed Silver) as in the above photos, however there were

a few that retained the RAF Camouflage, even Roundels/Codes/Serials for a short period of time or

Service.

(This was not untypical of RNZAF practice, especially during WWII a number of aircraft types wore

the Roundels they arrived in for a period of time)

This is an Airshow at RNZAF Station Taieri - Note the two RNZAF Mosquitos in Camouflage, the closest

is R-9Y(?) RAF Serial PZ474 - RNZAF Serial NZ2384

WgG1643-50.t5f6d24e1.m600.xSyO8wrft.jpg

The RNZAF during these years the RNZAF loved like any other Air Force, to show the good people of

New Zealand their wares and prowess and also participate in Exercises.

Open day at RNZAF Station Whenuapai -75 Sqn Mosquitos taxiing past the Headquarter Buildings - Note

40 Squadron Hangar in the background

WhG3255-52.t6028195a.m800.xBtKOADfE.jpg

Armed and ready for Bear (we don't have bears in NZ :smartass:)

75 Squadron at RNZAF Station Ohakea with Exercise Hardtack (who dreams up these names ^_^) - Note rockets on the rails

OhG1005-52.t5eb5cfc2.m600.xguwLRaDD.jpg

Like anything, all good things must come to an end, and make way for more advanced types, the

Mosquitos were slowly withdrawn from Service, put into Storage and eventually sold for scrap

Funny thing about New Zealander's, is our Number 8 Wire attitude, a number of ex RNZAF Aircraft

were acquired by Farmers/Orchards and appeared in strange places with strange uses.

Aircraft wheels for trailers etc.

Merlin Engines were used for helping keep frosts off Flowering trees in Orchards, my Grandparents

telling me in country areas you could hear the rumble of engines at dawn on these farms/orchards

A few pics of these aircraft in various states of disrepair

Warning on this, if aircraft destruction is not for you look away now ;)

Anson NZ1349 and unknown Mosquito (in camouflage) behind, most likely as part of a "tender"

package at an RNZAF Station, being scrapped in situ

DWNZ1349.t5fe7b704.m800.xTWnlBjtP.jpg

Hudson NZ2013 on a Farm at Oamaru (South Island) before being rescued by RNZAF Museum

MUS9612310.t5f766e70.m800.xJ6mHok-3.jpg

Avro 626 NZ203 being recovered by RNZAF Museum, from a farm in North Island

OhG3851-80.t5e94bc05.m800.xMBXSbSYS.jpg

75 Squadron Mosquito NZ2308 - YC-Z at an unknown farm in New Zealand - fate unknown

DWNZ2308b.t5fe7b6dd.m800.xcqJUWJwM.jpg

This last photo acts as a conclusion for my preamble above, some of these Mosquitos survived and were rescued

We have one here in Auckland at MOTAT, it being one of the Aussie birds

A52-1053. began life as a FB.40 serialled A52-19, but was converted mid production to a T. MK 43 Trainer and serialled A52-105,

arriving in New Zealand from Aussie 1947. It was given the RNZAF Serial NZ2305. One of the ones put into storage, it was SOC and

sold to a farmer in Marton, where it sat until circa 1967, when in a derelict state it was donated to MOTAT

Needless to say after a long rebuild/preservation process the aircraft was put on display albeit not quite complete

Outside at MOTAT

be442cd0-d5c2-4577-83df-2580186a9f70.jpg

Some years later inside and looking decidedly much better

5c2ed593-4b57-4e69-adc9-e5aa8eec5d8d.jpg

3839976e-6eff-48d2-b28e-9804598dd04c.jpg

Sooo, with that what am I going to build?

Well a 75 Squadron Aircraft likely one of the ones in either Exercise Hardtack, or doing the Roll by

at Whenuapai NZ2349 YC-C

So Requisite Photos of Kit (not much to see)

Box art

ea7b11db-77c6-4690-9551-e3b19aa3e7cf.jpg

Kit parts

7f9c5691-555b-4246-ab0e-cf16e7a7177d.jpg

Kit Instructions

2c7b5c35-886b-403e-9770-2648744324fd.jpg

The marking to be from Old Model Decals

Thanks for looking in, more soon:D

Regards

Alan

• Like 11

I do love the overall silver scheme. It seems like the last Mosquito out of restoration at Ardmore had more tonal variation to its silver scheme than the MOTAT Mossie, with some panels / components in different shades. Some artistic license to that last Ardmore scheme, perhaps? 

Looking forward to this progressing. :) 

A worthy build indeed Alan. The Mosquito at the unknown farm you show above is, I'm fairly sure the T.3 that Glyn Powell was restoring which iirc, has gone on to the Pathfinder trust. Again, iirc, this machine came from a farm, probably tobacco farm near Riwaka to the west of us here in Nelson & I recall it as a hulk in the field on our way to Kaiteriteri, I was always alert to get a look at it & watched it deteriorate over the years & am pretty sure I read that it was the one that Glyn had got, so the hills in the back ground would be the approaches to the Takaka hill & route to Marahau. Here endith the lesson. ;) 

More info here & here

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magua87 said:

I do love the overall silver scheme. It seems like the last Mosquito out of restoration at Ardmore had more tonal variation to its silver scheme than the MOTAT Mossie, with some panels / components in different shades. Some artistic license to that last Ardmore scheme, perhaps? 

Possible Artistic License :whistle: Hard to say, I guess it all depends on what paint they used (owners perceptions perhaps) amongst other things

Original HSS (High Speed Silver) was Cellulose Type paint, more modern paint, covering different materials different sheen ?

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

The Mosquito at the unknown farm you show above is, I'm fairly sure the T.3 that Glyn Powell was restoring which iirc, has gone on to the Pathfinder trust. Again, iirc, this machine came from a farm, probably tobacco farm near Riwaka to the west of us here in Nelson & I recall it as a hulk in the field on our way to Kaiteriteri, I was always alert to get a look at it & watched it deteriorate over the years & am pretty sure I read that it was the one that Glyn had got, so the hills in the back ground would be the approaches to the Takaka hill & route to Marahau. Here endith the lesson

That's really awesome history right there Steve - Thanks :thumbsup:

I recall seeing photos of  Mosquitos lined up at Woodbourne perhaps one of those went to that farm?

I seem to recall my Dad from his Boy Entrant Days mentioning aircraft sitting on the perimeter.

These aircraft turned up in the oddest of places, Dauntlesse's in Onehunga in Auckland, I recall walking up

St George Street in Avondale near where my Grandparents lived, and seeing a Yellow Fuselage sitting in a

Used parts/Junk yard - Not sure what it was (now) Could have been a Harvard or Tiger Moth???

Thanks guys

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey Alan good to see all the builds, Im quite happy you came back.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you - Good to be back :D

All going well with the Meteor and Mosquito, I have another build

in mind, but we'll wait and see :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

Thanks for all the period photos, even if seeing an Anson and Mossie being scrapped is really sad.

Did every farm in New Zealand come with it's own aircraft ? :whistle:

Off to look up what an Avro 626 looks like before the moths got to it !

Best of luck with this one.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did every farm in New Zealand come with it's own aircraft ? :whistle:

Off to look up what an Avro 626 looks like before the months got to it !

Best of luck with this one.

Thanks Pat,

I have some more to post on the Mossie build (hopefully this evening)

It would almost seem like most (if not all) farms may either have had

some form/piece of an aircraft, post WWII, as the the country's military

ranks/equipment were slowly wound down from a War footing - Wheels and

engines were the biggest attraction

(New Zealand only has a population of about 2 million then)

RNZAF Rukuhia Storage -note wheels etc missing most will have either gone into

reduced to produce (read spares) or sold off to farmers for use

DWAsst13.t5fe7b7bb.m800.xYnmJH38D.jpg

Mid 1950's RNZAF Woodbourne

MUS980935.t5e7e496b.m800.xj83-HOou.jpg

For your Viewing Pleaure,  RNZAF AVRO 626 based at RNZAF Wigram (on my list to build one day)

ALB933371016.t5fac3df5.m600.xV7bJ9SA2.jp

MUS0701316.t5e94b53b.m800.x7KmaCxwg.jpg

There is an Excellent book (I have in my RNZAF References) by Geoffrey Ellis

Tool Box on the Wing: My Life in the Air Force.

Geoffrey was an RAF Apprentice who ended up in New Zealand and joined

the fledgling  New Zealand Air Force. He worked on these 626's at Wigram

Kind regards

Alan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Tool Box on the Wing: My Life in the Air Force.

A lovely book, very good re interwar RAF ops as well.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
Correct stupid bloody auto correct 😝
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry this one has fallen behind, I had a rather crazy event take place that

necessitated buying a whole new kit

In my Model room, it can get quite warm, but nothing that will deal to my models

however something happened to the Starboard side of my kit fuselage, turning it

into a plastic banana <_<

4cc2ab52-6b41-4049-8ed3-ae2cf5f0d999.jpg

e4045232-af6b-4e70-b66e-7f103e14cb13.jpg

So New kit, and we're back in play :thumbsup:

1541cdd3-93da-4aed-a0d2-192ecbc3b81b.jpg

So where are we at?

I built a better cockpit than the general floor board provided in the kit

395c46d6-241e-421d-a442-33f752771406.jpg

Painted the cockpit area

fed5203f-35a0-4bfe-9742-7014db78997a.jpg

Built Bulkheads/walls for the Engine Nacelles to not have them open, and also the tail wheel well,

and added some paint too

0c14f8fc-a526-42f5-b662-6b8d5f4be665.jpg

That's all for now, more very soon

Thanks for looking in:D

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

Bad luck with the original fuselage.  Did you have it near a window?  When I was young I built an Airfix Hurricane that I was particularly pleased with as the Hurricane was my favourite plane.  I had it on my bedroom window sill for display.  One hot day I came to discover that it had folded its wings like a carrier plane!  I learnt a lesson about heat that day!

AW

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2021 at 23:57, Andwil said:

Bad luck with the original fuselage.  Did you have it near a window?  When I was young I built an Airfix Hurricane that I was particularly pleased with as the Hurricane was my favourite plane.  I had it on my bedroom window sill for display.  One hot day I came to discover that it had folded its wings like a carrier plane!  I learnt a lesson about heat that day!

AW

For those of us living in the Scottish Highlands, I'm having a bit of trouble picturing a hot day !

Leaving it in a Scottish window leads to the wings drooping due to the build up of ice, caused by the occupants being too miserable to put the heating on !

Great work Alan

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

For those of us living in the Scottish Highlands, I'm having a bit of trouble picturing a hot day !

Leaving it in a Scottish window leads to the wings drooping due to the build up of ice, caused by the occupants being too miserable to put the heating on !

Great work Alan

Cheers Pat

Ha ha that reminds me of an incident when we were in Scotland a few years ago on holiday (beautiful country, we love it) and had driven to Balmaha on Loch Lomond and stopped in at a cafe for lunch.  It was a sunny day but only about 19C.  My wife ordered a coffee and the waitress said “what, in this heat!” 😄

AW

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Ha ha that reminds me of an incident when we were in Scotland a few years ago on holiday (beautiful country, we love it) and had driven to Balmaha on Loch Lomond and stopped in at a cafe for lunch.  It was a sunny day but only about 19C.  My wife ordered a coffee and the waitress said “what, in this heat!” 😄

AW

Brilliant AW

I once overhead two ladies at the checkout talking about the weather in Scotland and one saying that she hoped that summer would be at a weekend this year so she would get a chance to enjoy it !

I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years and New Zealand and Australia are definitely on the list for an extended visit.

The temptation to annoy @trickyrich and @Rabbit Leader on their home turf is far too tempting !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

The temptation to annoy @trickyrich and @Rabbit Leader on their home turf is far too tempting !

That would be brilliant. We’ll look forward to sizing you up for a Cork Hat, I love XXXX T-shirt, loud board shorts and a comfortable pair of thongs... (for your feet, not the underwear type!). 

Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That would be brilliant. We’ll look forward to sizing you up for a Cork Hat, I love XXXX T-shirt, loud board shorts and a comfortable pair of thongs... (for your feet, not the underwear type!). 

Cheers.. Dave

On second thoughts perhaps another log on the fire and new Tartan slippers....

And if it's really cold and Mrs Jockney is really good we might even light the fire 🔥  :P

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

.........plus some industrial strength sun-block for those legs!!! 

Actually probably better a proper pair of long pants....things that white may scare the children!!! :D

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

.........plus some industrial strength sun-block for those legs!!! 

Actually probably better a proper pair of long pants....things that white may scare the children!!! :D

A real Scotsman starts off with blue skin and then goes straight to bright red sunburn, white is something we can only aspire to !

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

And yet although we’d like to call ourselves a progressive nation, men wearing kilts / skirts is still frowned upon! 

not in Sydney it an't, Pat will fit in nicely!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, Andwil said:

Bad luck with the original fuselage.  Did you have it near a window?

Hi AW, Was near a window, but both fuselage halves were there, but only one affected - Twilight Zone stuff :hmmm:

On 4/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

I really like the old Airfix Mosquito, it's accurate in outline and turns out well with a bit of TLC

I look forward to more progress, 

Thanks Greg, I hope I can get a good result on this one :D

On 4/16/2021 at 2:05 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years and New Zealand and Australia are definitely on the list for an extended visit.

Hi Pat, you certainly will be welcome here :yahoo:

I would like to think you can visit our "Southern" Part of Scotland, as well other parts of New Zealand

Dunedin New Zealand

Well a quick update, as the Meteor nears the finish line

So I busied up the cockpit, though in hindsight, I should have thinned down the pilot/Navigators

seat backs/armour

99577c27-3400-4c20-b08c-9bd435c00800.jpg

f3e3765a-cc5f-4d92-8118-fdad72c25c23.jpg

0a508eaa-9e35-4c74-97c0-34724d3db8a1.jpg

0713ba3b-9c26-46e9-a3fa-f7743f8cbea9.jpg

Once done done, I closed up the fuselage, and added a few items to the cockpit walls

29a748ea-345b-4766-ad4d-572a81d4cbed.jpg

8b5dab3b-4a8e-4d55-aa1b-e833e1c67aa8.jpg

The upper and lower fuselage halves require some filler, as they mismatch slightly

03d43a82-b5d1-4c3e-97d6-f3134a262ced.jpg

b43e106f-6b9f-435d-bec5-d3f21fea6159.jpg

The seams have needed some elbow grease in cleaning them up.

In the interim, I masked the canopy

bd21915b-55d6-47b8-a7aa-74344a43e0c6.jpg

Next up are the main wheels, they are without tread, and both halves don't line up

1cbde6d8-9dc8-4040-bdd0-be8e48d98682.jpg

205f4414-8c54-4f73-a0e4-9aed39520810.jpg

I have ordered a new set with proper Tread, but coming from Aussie, they will take a couple of weeks

Decals have arrived

dc4c2cc6-2860-46d2-aa2d-a3ec22bacb22.jpg

That's all for tonight, more soon :D

Thanks for looking in

Regards

Alan

• Like 6

Hi Alan,

I'm interested to see you are modelling a 75 squadron subject. My Great Uncle was in 75 squadron from 1939 To 1941 as a Wireless operator/air gunner.  At the beginning of the war I think it was a RAF squadron with a New Zealand flight. However at some point shortly thereafter, I think, it became 75 squadron RNZAF. At that time they flew Wellington but eventually moved on to Stirlings and Lancasters. At some point did they convert to the Mosquito or am I rabbiting on about a completely different squadron? 

Cheers Greg 👍