A 1/43 Arrows F1 car.

There is a lot of variety on this part of the forum this week,so I thought I'd add a bit more. This is another Arrows kit from the stash and I found it very fiddly - the rear end especially but I got there in the end. I had to complete this one as I've had it a few years,and it was mostly created by Colin Fraser of Formula Models who sadly died almost 3 years ago,I went to his funeral. Hope you like the pictures anyway. All the best every one,Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Oh,I forgot to say that this car is from the very first Grand Prix for the Arrows team,Brazilian G.P. Of 1978.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 12

Nicely done Chris.

I saw the FA1 in action (in Warsteiner livery) at Brands Hatch in 1978.  Patrese was racing up near the front until a puncture intervened.

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor and Rob,I wasn't at the GP that year,might have had something to do with getting married! But I did manage to make the Race of Champions and the Indycar races there in 1978. Yes,I miss Colin Fraser,he was definitely the top F1 model builder in 1/43 at least.Well he did have have his own model company . I have visited SMTS 2 or 3 times myself with Colin,but that was in their original building. You worked at SMTS?  Chris.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Yes,I miss Colin Fraser,he was definitely the top F1 model builder in 1/43 at least.Well he did have have his own model company . I have visited SMTS 2 or 3 times myself with Colin,but that was in their original building. You worked at SMTS?  Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yes I worked at SMTS. I started there in 1995 or 96, back when they were based in Brunel Rd. They had around 30 staff at that point, and Bob Hines was the pattern maker. I started as a model builder working on their CL and RL lines of 43rd cars, with the odd venture into American classics for Henk van Asten (not sure if that's exactly how his name was spelt!).  I then volunteered to learn paint spraying and continued in that role until I left in 2001 to go self employed doing my artwork. I returned to SMTS around 2009, by which time they had moved to Moorhurst Rd. The structure of work had changed, and each builder was now in charge of painting and building their work projects from start to finish. I very rarely did any cars on my return, mostly aircraft, and also started dabbling in creating decal artwork.

I left again in 2016 for a complete change in career, and I'm now an A&E clinician in the Ambulance Service. I still drop by there every few months to see Keith, John, Simon, Phil and Chris.

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 1

You've had a varied and interesting career Rob,including SMTS,nice to hear. Very nice models,I do remember seeing some planes there too,they've been taken over by Brooklyn models now I hear but they will carry on as normal I believe. Thanks Nick for looking,I appreciate that , I have to do a few at a time as separately they are too time consuming alone so another Arrows car coming up soon! Chris.