Academy 1/32 F18 or alternative

Stakka

Hi - sorry for my naivety but I have been off the scene for around 9 years - I was looking to add a 1/32 Hornet to my new stash and the Academy F/A 18D looked to be the latest and possibly the best kit of that aircraft - but I cannot find it anywhere (UK) and it is not listed on their website anymore. Did they just drop the line completely - are they ever likely to re-release - or am I missing something?

Failing that there are other makes but from what I have read so far they don't quite match Academy, or thanks to correct me on that.

Kits get in and out of production all the times, so this specific kit may simply not be in production at the moment, it may be reissued at some point but it's impossible to tell when.

Next best thing would be Academy's own single seater Hornet, that comes from the same set of moulds so would be of the same high quality. The USMC F/A-18A+ box is currently available and can be found both in the UK or directly from Korea.

If you really want a two seater, you may look for the Kinetic kit, that is a rebox of the Academy one with parts for all variants. Not sure however how easy this kit would be to find

• Like 1

Thank you. I never really knew how manufacturers operated when it comes to availability / production runs / reboxing. I'll keep a look out online, was really hoping for the twin seat though but will just have to see.

The Academy F/A-18D has been out of production for about a decade. The last release of it was  the Kinetic boxing Giorgio mentioned which had all the Academy versions (A/A+, B, C, D) in one box. They occasionally come up for auction online, be aware the prices won't be cheap! 

Trumpeter do an F/A-18F and G for a two seat SH. Hopefully Revell will release a two-seater F Super Hornet at some point as most of the parts were already in their F/A-18E box. 

• Like 1

Plus one to what the other two members say. I have the Academy 1/32 F-18A+ kit with the USMC and Canadian AF options and it is a lovely kit. 

They (all versions) turn up on eBay quite frequently so that may be the way to go. Whichever version you get, you won't be disappointed.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the ancient Revell 1/32 F-18 kit which was of a prototype version and wasn't a great kit even when it first came out about 40 years ago with really basic details and fantasy / "best guess" design.

Good luck Stakka and I am sure you will find one.

Gary

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alan P said:

The Academy F/A-18D has been out of production for about a decade. The last release of it was  the Kinetic boxing Giorgio mentioned which had all the Academy versions (A/A+, B, C, D) in one box. They occasionally come up for auction online, be aware the prices won't be cheap! 

Trumpeter do an F/A-18F and G for a two seat SH. Hopefully Revell will release a two-seater F Super Hornet at some point as most of the parts were already in their F/A-18E box. 

Thanks Alan, I'll keep an eye out on line - and yeah I'll prepare for some steep pricing ! I don't do many kits but I like to do decent kits, bit of a Tamiya 1/32 fan boy to be honest as their later 1/32 releases have been cracking, but I'm guessing the likely hood of them bringing out another large grey jet soon, especially a Hornet (or a Raptor) are very slim.....one can only live in hope !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, redcap said:

Plus one to what the other two members say. I have the Academy 1/32 F-18A+ kit with the USMC and Canadian AF options and it is a lovely kit. 

They (all versions) turn up on eBay quite frequently so that may be the way to go. Whichever version you get, you won't be disappointed.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the ancient Revell 1/32 F-18 kit which was of a prototype version and wasn't a great kit even when it first came out about 40 years ago with really basic details and fantasy / "best guess" design.

Good luck Stakka and I am sure you will find one.

Gary

Cheers, yep don't worry.... I'm very picky on quality / kit engineering and only go for kits that research has shown to have good reviews. I don't mind paying the price for a quality kit but it sounds like I might also be faced with paying a bit more for the rarity of some !...Such is life !

Have a great weekend.

Hi, Stakka. 

Once you have 100 posts under your cap (as per the forum rules), you could put a "Wanted" listing on this site. There are other modelling-sites as well, providing a similar service. Also, I would recommend you keep an eye on the Kingkit website.

Good luck in finding the F-18 kit. 

Chris.  

55 minutes ago, Stakka said:

I'm very picky on quality / kit engineering and only go for kits that research has shown to have good reviews.

Nothing wrong with the Trumpeter SH. One of their A-game products, along with the Intruders. Built the Academy F/A-18D (Kinetic boxing) last year and it was a really good kit, but finding one will be a huge challenge. If you do get hold of one, I'd buy a lottery ticket right after 😉

Very unimpressed by the Tamiya 1/32 jets which are really showing their age. The F-15C was a big disappointment in my view, and the F-14 is really old hat by today's standards. Only the F-16C lived up to the hype for me. Don't put too much stock by the reviews, these things are very subjective and you might find an equally rewarding modelling experience by spreading your net a little wider 👍

1 minute ago, Alan P said:

Nothing wrong with the Trumpeter SH. One of their A-game products, along with the Intruders. Built the Academy F/A-18D last year and it was a really good kit, but finding one will be a huge challenge. If you do get hold of one, I'd buy a lottery ticket right after 😉

Very unimpressed by the Tamiya 1/32 jets which are really showing their age. The F-15C was a big disappointment in my view, and the F-14 is really old hat by today's standards. Only the F-16C lived up to the hype for me. Don't put too much stock by the reviews, these things are very subjective and you might find an equally rewarding modelling experience by spreading your net a little wider 👍

I don't rate my chances then - Ive been doing the lottery for years and have won next to bugger all 😆

Yep - my 1/32 Tamiyas so far are the F-16C which was fab, the Marines Phantom which was ok and the Spitfire and Corsair - which were also great. I've held off going for the F14 and F15 as although I like the look of the jets themselves I was worried they wouldn't live up to the F-16 - hence my other recent thread elsewhere that starting with the F16 and Spit etc was probably a mistake as they set the bar high now that I was looking for something else to build 🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to get an 18C version, complete with some Eduard etched parts. Fully sealed kit and for £110 so hopefully didn't do too bad. I'm moving house next week so if I didn't grab one now I prob won't get round to it. It's not the twin seater but on the upside there's less to paint 😁! Now just need to get a new airbrush compressor and I can make a start....once settled in the house that is. Thanks for all your help.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, Stakka said:

Well I managed to get an 18C version, complete with some Eduard etched parts. Fully sealed kit and for £110

Well done! Decent price too 👍

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, Stakka said:

Well I managed to get an 18C version, complete with some Eduard etched parts. Fully sealed kit and for £110 so hopefully didn't do too bad. I'm moving house next week so if I didn't grab one now I prob won't get round to it. It's not the twin seater but on the upside there's less to paint 😁! Now just need to get a new airbrush compressor and I can make a start....once settled in the house that is. Thanks for all your help.

ah just seen you are sorted, I have the Academy two seater in the stash that i'm thinning

On 4/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, Westie7 said:

ah just seen you are sorted, I have the Academy two seater in the stash that i'm thinning

Alas.... I would have certainly helped you thin your stash out ! Thanks for the thought though.

• Like 1