Kittyhawk Mk.III, 450 Sqn RAAF, Tunisia.

Here's the third Kittyhawk I built for the ANZAC GB currently running. This is the Smer kit with spare bits from Special Hobby kits (cockpit parts, exhausts and drop-tank).

Not a great fitting kit but nowt a bit of modelling didn't solve. The canopy was far too narrow to fit, I scraped some plastic from the fuselage and the canopy but you would end up with a step in from the sides so just glued it on with tube cement and taped it down to stop it from springing off.

Not my best effort, got fed up with it and I just wanted to get it done, so rushed at the end, but I think it looks a fair representation of a desert Kittyhawk.

Vallejo ModelAir paint throughout, Klear Gloss and Vallejo Matt varnishes.

Xtradecal markings.

Comments and critique welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004

DSC_0005 DSC_0006

DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 17

Nicely done mate,.... those extra bits tarting up the old Smer kit really do bring it up a level,...... great idea and well presented!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

I have this kit in stash and did not believed till now that a nice model can be done from it. You have made change of my opinion! Very nice result indeed :) The shapes of P-40 looks really proper ...

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments folks.

3 hours ago, JWM said:

I have this kit in stash and did not believed till now that a nice model can be done from it. You have made change of my opinion! Very nice result indeed :) The shapes of P-40 looks really proper ...

Regards

J-W

Cheers J-W, it does look the part. I was probably being a bit disingenuous about the fit, it was mainly the lower main wing fit and canopy that was the problem, everything else was OK. I was considering cutting out the soft detailed radiator gills and using a spare one from the Special Hobby kits, but may have caused more problems than anything. I think the wheels are too small in diameter but apart from that shape-wise it looks good.

Davey.

• Like 1