VOSTOK 1 - Гагарин Юрий Алексеевич 1:25 VEB PLasticart spaceship

It looks very good! A really nice build. :goodjob:

I remember building the Revell kit in my childhood and thinking it was way cool (except of course the word 'cool' wasn't invented yet! :winkgrin: )

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Haha 1

Great build and a really interesting WIP thread! The added hexagonal heat tiles look out great.

I didn't know that the 'official' polished chrome Vostok with the white rocket stage wasn't the 'real' thing - there's a full-sized Vostok (replica or real, not sure) in the Russian Cultural Center in my country but it's the Party-approved one. :)

Displayed replicas , even in full scale,  are mostly white, simplified and without external communication and measuring equipment.

Real third stage was gray,

gL0fNNW.jpg

and landing capsule is as shown on this photo, taken after Gagarin's landing,

qVZCrWF.jpg

Thanx for comments,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 10:00 PM, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

with the white rocket stage 

Being an ICBM R-7 booster was initially painted protective green. But because of cryogenic oxidizer its surface got quickly covered with frost during fueling that made it look white

• Like 1

That is beautifully done - especially the addition of the heat resistant tiles on the exterior of the re-entry capsule, which are missing on the kit.

I would like to build one of these this year as 2021 is the 60th anniversary of Gagarin's flight. Indeed, the actual anniversary is only two weeks away - 12 April.

I built one of these kits back in the early 1980s (probably around the 20 anniversary - now I feel REALLY old) but nothing like as well as this. I have another kit in the stash so have the chance to build it again - properly this time.

The VEB and Plastikart Vostok kits are one and the same - as far as I am aware.

• Thanks 1

Obviously us lot in the West didn't really understand that but the letters VEB appeared big on the box so that is what they were referred to.

We were more familiar with the West German letters for a limited company, Gmbh.

• Like 1