Airfix 1:32nd 1914 Dennis Fire Engine completed

I have on the windowsill in out conservatory, a 1/35th Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor that I built in 1976 as a way of relaxing when doing my degree finals.

It's still in one piece. Nothing has fallen off (45 yeas and many, many moves) and the paint finish (hairy sticked!) isn't too bad. 

That's almost all I have left from then... (Apart from my degree ...)

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan R said:

I have on the windowsill in out conservatory, a 1/35th Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor that I built in 1976 as a way of relaxing when doing my degree finals.

It's still in one piece. Nothing has fallen off (45 yeas and many, many moves) and the paint finish (hairy sticked!) isn't too bad. 

That's almost all I have left from then... (Apart from my degree ...)

Cheers,

Alan.

1976 obviously a good year......I built my first ever kit then - an Airfix series 1 Bf10G6 in a blister pack 😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob Henderson said:

Do you still have any of those childhood builds surviving? I've got around 80 or so built between 1980(ish) through to 1991, and a handful built around 1996-1997 and a good 20 or so started before I put the hobby aside.
The latter completed one's I've repaired and cleaned up without any issue, and the started projects are slowly being assessed, cleaned up and coming back towards the workbench. My intention with all the 80's builds is to refurb/rebuild. I've spent the last 10 months or so hunting for duplicates of them so I can clone parts for repair, use the spare decal sets, and build the alternate decal option/variant offered in the kits at the same time (I've got to fill up those shelves in the garage I've converted to a workshop somehow 😄👍 )

Still got all of them as far as I know, although only the 1/24s have made it out of my Dad's loft. Three of them have been rebuilt on here - the Charger, Stratos and Porsche 961 in my signatures. As you've already found by the sounds of it, the hardest thing is finding replacement decals.

6 hours ago, Rob Henderson said:

1976 obviously a good year......I built my first ever kit then - an Airfix series 1 Bf10G6 in a blister pack 😎

Very good year for me - it's the year I was born! :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Still got all of them as far as I know, although only the 1/24s have made it out of my Dad's loft. Three of them have been rebuilt on here - the Charger, Stratos and Porsche 961 in my signatures. As you've already found by the sounds of it, the hardest thing is finding replacement decals.

Very good year for me - it's the year I was born! :)

Another child of 1976 here.  Although most of my builds didn't survive, I'm glad I've got one or two from back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.  A few of my builds now are influenced by kits I built back then, or ones I wanted at that time.

• Like 1

What a super job you did there ! ....That red really glows, you can just imagine them down at the fire station polishing the hell out of it ! :)

I've got one of these fire engines stashed ( plus the 1910 London bus ) I really must get round to building them... very inspiring to see one done as nicely as yours !

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, johnlambert said:

Another child of 1976 here.  Although most of my builds didn't survive, I'm glad I've got one or two from back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.  A few of my builds now are influenced by kits I built back then, or ones I wanted at that time.

I'm finding a lot of my stash purchases over recent months have been influenced in much the same way John. I'm hoping I'll do them justice this time around! 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

What a super job you did there ! ....That red really glows, you can just imagine them down at the fire station polishing the hell out of it ! :)

I've got one of these fire engines stashed ( plus the 1910 London bus ) I really must get round to building them... very inspiring to see one done as nicely as yours !

Thanks dude, very kind of you to say! There is a lot of 3M Finesse It car polish on that bodywork to help bring up that lustre 😊

I've got the Army version of that bus recently - never saw before that point, so grabbed it while I had the chance. I also have the civil version as part of the bus/fire engine boxset (though I'm hoping to get just the bus on it's own so I can sell the boxset on at some point).

I have to say the Dennis was a really enjoyable build from start to finish - almost sorry to see it completed!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Wohh ! Gorgeous build for an amazing result 😲

I do ;ove those vintage cars and trucks. This one is a masterpiece...congrats :)

Wow! I've had some amazing comments about this build here - but for someone to call it a masterpiece, well I'm extremely flattered, thank you 😊👍

• 2 years later...

Rob, Your excellent build has certainly inspired me. For 2024 I will try and build some kits released in 1964 - when I was ;-). I will be looking at your build for inspiration. Am picking up a kit tomorrow 🙂

• Thanks 1

What a lovely thing!  You've done a great job of the old kit, and who doesn't like an old fire engine? 

The figures add the extra bit and I like the light weathering

Keith 😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1