Airfix 1:32nd 1914 Dennis Fire Engine completed

Hi all 😎

Although completed just before Christmas 2020, as I'm new to BritModeller (and I'm quite pleased with how she turned out), I'd like to present my third completed build since returning to the hobby after a 23 year break: Airfix 1:32nd 1914 Dennis Fire Engine.
Built out the box with the exception of a few scratch built extras on the engine block, and a couple of lengths of fine brass chain on the rescue ladder supports. Painted with Tamiya acrylics except flesh tones and wood grain on the ladders are Citadel Miniatures. Weathering/stains using Citadel Miniatures shades and the odd dab of Tamiya weathering powder.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome 😊👍

Cheers!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

Excellent work, especially given it's only your third model. I wish my third model had come out that well. Keep up the good work, looks like you're taking to this modelling lark...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the build thread and it is great to see the finished result.  The paint finish is beautiful as is the work to make the metal and wood parts look like they really are metal or wood.

• Thanks 1

That brings back memories. When I was a kid Dad had one of these in his display cabinet. The sideways seated fireman figure, the one with his right hand on his belt buckle and left hand forward lived in dad’s spares box for decades. I fear he’s landfill now (the fireman not dad!) 😀

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spiny said:

Excellent work, especially given it's only your third model. I wish my third model had come out that well. Keep up the good work, looks like you're taking to this modelling lark...

Cheers Spiny - it's a very kind compliment but in case you mis-read my original post, it's the third model since returning to the hobby after 23 years off (I started in the hobby back in 1976 when I was 4 yrs old) 😊 lovely compliment all the same!!

17 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I enjoyed the build thread and it is great to see the finished result.  The paint finish is beautiful as is the work to make the metal and wood parts look like they really are metal or wood.

Thank you John - as a nipper I was pretty focused on 1/72nd aircraft, and since coming back to the hobby after 23 years I'm actually enjoying the variation in different genres and scales. Getting to practice a lot of new skills!
Thanks also for the kind words about the build, it's greatly appreciated! 😎

Edited by Rob Henderson
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Ooh nice! That did turn out really well indeed. I like your "period" pics!

Thank you Jeroen! I found the filters on my mobile phone camera by accident - was good fun experimenting with them, and I think those shots fit the intended vintage of the vehicle really well 😎

4 hours ago, mick b said:

Superb. Very neat finish Rob and love the figures too...which one is Barney Mcgrew? 😉

Mike

Barney Mcgrew...? 😂 Looks like we're of a similar vintage then Mike! 😄👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

That brings back memories. When I was a kid Dad had one of these in his display cabinet. The sideways seated fireman figure, the one with his right hand on his belt buckle and left hand forward lived in dad’s spares box for decades. I fear he’s landfill now (the fireman not dad!) 😀

I must admit that made me do a double-take on first reading - glad you clarified at the end it wasn't your Dad you were referring to!!! 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rob Henderson said:

Cheers Spiny - it's a very kind compliment but in case you mis-read my original post, it's the third model since returning to the hobby after 23 years off (I started in the hobby back in 1976 when I was 4 yrs old) 😊 lovely compliment all the same!!

I tend to think in the same way so did read it as your third model on your return - to me my first model was the Spitfire I did as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight I got cheap which sucked me back in - the one's I did 25+ years ago as a child/teenager don't count :)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Great job!

Also brings back some memories for me, still got some of the bits left in the spares box, and I am considering using the water hose on my Tyrrell as brake cooling duct!

Malc.

Thank you Malc 😊
It's amazing the debris from old kits that we tend to squirrel away for that 'just in case' moment! That Tyrrell is quite a project you've got going there! 

17 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Really nice!  Great paintwork, and the figures look superb.  Well done.

Trevor

Thanks for the very kind compliments Trevor! I'm glad I took a punt on doing this build as it's certainly out the normal for what I always used to do (1/72nd aircraft) before I took a break from the hobby. I'm finding myself adding a lot more varied subjects and scales to the stash now 😎👍

13 hours ago, Spiny said:

I tend to think in the same way so did read it as your third model on your return - to me my first model was the Spitfire I did as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight I got cheap which sucked me back in - the one's I did 25+ years ago as a child/teenager don't count :)

Do you still have any of those childhood builds surviving? I've got around 80 or so built between 1980(ish) through to 1991, and a handful built around 1996-1997 and a good 20 or so started before I put the hobby aside.
The latter completed one's I've repaired and cleaned up without any issue, and the started projects are slowly being assessed, cleaned up and coming back towards the workbench. My intention with all the 80's builds is to refurb/rebuild. I've spent the last 10 months or so hunting for duplicates of them so I can clone parts for repair, use the spare decal sets, and build the alternate decal option/variant offered in the kits at the same time (I've got to fill up those shelves in the garage I've converted to a workshop somehow 😄👍 )