1/72 Academy F-4J into an Air Force short nose.

Robertone139

It should not be difficult to convert Academy's 1/72 F-4J into a C or D.

Just needs Air Force inner pylons, an updated cockpit (if you are into that), a Rhino sensor for the C, and some other small sundries.

All that could fit in a 10$ resin set.

opinions?

If you want to be real nitpicky, the MB seats are slighly different:

The location of the oxygen bottle is a key difference with the Mk. H-7 used in the US Navy and Marine Corp aircraft. The USN and USMC include the oxygen bottle in the survival kit. On this USAF seat, the bottle is visible behind the cushion in the front view. In that photo you can also see the emergency oxygen line connected to a CRU-60/P unit lying on the seat cushion. The CRU-60/P unit connects the aircraft oxygen, the seat mounted emergency oxygen, and the crewman's oxygen mask. On the left of the seat bucket in this photo the green ball (called an 'apple') manual actuator for the emergency oxygen supply is visible along with its mechanical linkage. Normally on the USAF version of the seat there is a separate lap belt, but this seat does not have it fitted yet.

(http://www.ejectionsite.com/f4seat.htm

I'm not familiar with the Academy kit, but Navy Phantoms lack the right side console in the aft cockpit since the refuelling probe is housed there (many Phantom kits have generic cockpits identical for both USAF and USN versions - the Hasegawa kit has a blocking part included).

This also means you'd need to fill and sand the panel lines of the USN refuelling probe housing and scribe a USAF flying boom type door on the center of the upper spine. 

Cheers,

Andre

Seems to me you can do an escalating list of modifications.

The minimum is under nose fairing, unslotted tailplanes (simply cut of the slots on the leading edge) and different burner cans. Then it depends on what satisfies you because it's your model.

This is a really helpful topic because I am currently building the original Hasegawa 1/48th F-4J (the P1 kit) as a USAF F-4C 64-0748 using parts from the kit, also spare parts from an Academy F-4J as well as the spares box. I thought I had it all covered until I read this; I forgot the wheels are different and I need to check the nosewheel door too. I did find that three dorsal antennae need removing as does one under the nose radome. As #Hook points out, care needs to be taken selecting the correct IR housing, or even lack of. For a kit first issued in 1982 it goes together very nicely indeed. I have used the 'short' burners from the Academy kit, hopefully they will give it a much more detailed look.

Michael

On 3/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, Hook said:

Some F-4D's were delivered with a clean radome, without the underslung IR housing.

Cheers,

Andre

When the first Airfix Phantom came out in the mid 1960s it was boxed as a USN F-4B. Fairly soon after it had parts added and an increased decal sheet to make USN F-4B and F-4J, a USAF  F-4C and F-4D and an Israeli E.  

As I remember the C and D were  shown as being without the IR sensor housing under the radome.

On visiting Lakenheath for the 2nd time (first time I had seen F-100s) I noticed the Phantoms had under nose fairings - dad and I had no idea what we were looking at and suspected guns! I was only 11 and we didn't have the 'net then. But it was the Airfix Phantom that got me into jets and F-4s in particular.

• Like 1