6 hours ago, general melchett said:

My dear Marshal, I hear your pain...you were a fakir eh, well that explains everything and then some....come to think of it, I think I found your copy of the Rig Veda when trekking the hills myself, only it had been slipped inside an equally well-worn copy of Playgirl, May 1847.

I say, was that when you were posted to the Punjab? And Speckled Jim had flown off with some local tart of a bird, and you had, brave soul that you are, tracked him all the way to the mountains, to retrieve him back for the morale of the Regiment? Good show on that one, old garbanzo! And it was a Playboy, not a Playgirl, old durian, pre-Rebellion, of course!*

With Highest Regards,

Jason A/K/A Sabu

*You know, I believe this is all getting a bit silly, as it should be.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

You know, I believe this is all getting a bit silly, as it should be.

Hear Hear! With a yippity boo and three choruses of the old school song. Wibble.

BTW, Re protection from Memsahibs down ones trollies. Front back or both?

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hear Hear! With a yippity boo and three choruses of the old school song. Wibble.

BTW, Re protection from Memsahibs down ones trollies. Front back or both?

I'd suggest 360 degrees all round.  You never know when you might catch a ricochet off a whizz bang coming at you sideways

• Haha 4

On 3/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, Retired Bob said:

What you need Tim is a diversion, buy a plain white night dress for Mrs T with the letters DNR printed on, tell her it's just in case she has to go into hospital in these trying times.

When she finds out what DNR stands for she will be so cross that a couple of Vulcan kits will be nothing, better yet, get a couple of Airfix Victors while the going is good to replace that Matchbox one.  You know what they say? Go big or go home!... that was obviously before lock down. :facepalm:

🤣 Actually I already have two Airfix Victors in the stash, but sshh don't tell anyone.

I was beginning to deveop another cunning plan; Mrs T and I always buy each other books for Christmas and only last week she asked me if I'd started one of the ones she'd given me yet. I said I hadn't, so she said that she'd like to read it, as the books she buys me are in fact usually the ones she wants herself! Result! ... that now means (in theory at least) that when the Vulcans arrive I can tell her they're an anniversary present...for her.  🤭

I'll report back on what happens...

• Haha 9

On 3/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, general melchett said:

Tim...but bung a rolled up newspaper down yer Y-fronts, just to be on the safe side

I shall buy a copy of The Thunderer this morning and do as you suggest

• Haha 4

On 3/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, kev67 said:

I have this on backorder with Hannants, I have the old Airfix Vulcan as well with the resin wheel bay and tail which I started to re-scribe, if and when I do it it will be a tanker version,

Funny you should say that. I have a very similar plan with another old one as I really like the tanker markings. I thought I'd have a go at scratchbuilding the cable drum housing at the back.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Funny you should say that. I have a very similar plan with another old one as I really like the tanker markings. I thought I'd have a go at scratchbuilding the cable drum housing at the back.

Alternatively, you will be able to buy one from Hannants - it is so simple to 3D print.

And it was a Playboy, not a Playgirl, old durian, pre-Rebellion, of course!*

Glad you cleared that one up old sausage, rumours were running rife in the trenches, (much like the bout of dysentery, following the distribution of Baldrick's home made Rat-Au-Van and green turnip soup). Nasty business.

I'll report back on what happens...

Presuming you survive, of course....funny blighters, these women jonnies.

Actually I already have two Airfix Victors in the stash, but sshh don't tell anyone.

Well fortunately this lot arrived via the roof-top helipad here at Melchett Towers directly from Margate, for services rendered, thus bypassing the ever watchful eyes of the mem (think 'Eye of Sauron', only worse). Fortunately she doesn't climb ladders, so I'm safe...for now.

1-AGD-0862.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Well fortunately this lot arrived via the roof-top helipad here at Melchett Towers directly from Margate, for services rendered, thus bypassing the ever watchful eyes of the mem (think 'Eye of Sauron', only worse). Fortunately she doesn't climb ladders, so I'm safe...for now.

What?....No Vulcans :wicked:

• Haha 1

On 13/03/2021 at 16:12, general melchett said:

1-AGD-0862.jpg

Great Scott, gadzooks, yippity dip and zing zang spillip! Are those the 2 last Airfix Valiants? 🤩

• Haha 4

Received my copy of the March Airfix Model World yesterday and immediately turned to the Vulcan article. Fine job, and I am looking forward to one of the new kits. But for the benefit of those of us who deplore the tiny photos which AMW editors seem to love, could you possibly post a larger photo of the main landing gear indicating the bits which should not be there? Also, a photo or illustration showing the landing gear bits that Airfix missed would be helpful.

I love Airfix's idea of making the cockpit cover a separate item. It dawned on me that modelers can use some tiny magnets to make this part removable so as to show off a completely detailed cockpit, including the "backseater's" stations.

Again, a fine article which serves as an excellent introduction to what I'm sure will be "kit of the year."

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps,

Not looking forward to me failing to building it anywhere near as well as you have!

Longhorn, of course you can, the kit's very easy to work on, in fact the only fiddly bit was masking the intakes but even there, a bit of care, patience and 1mm Aizu tape wins the day. I'll post a thread dealing specifically with the kit build, if that would be of help.

Are those the 2 last Airfix Valiants? 

Ha, I think they may well have been at the time, they had been stored a while, thankfully though, Airfix will be re-releasing it again soon. 

Thanks Michael your support is greatly appreciated. 

could you possibly post a larger photo of the main landing gear indicating the bits which should not be there? Also, a photo or illustration showing the landing gear bits that Airfix missed would be helpful.

I'll sort that out very soon.

It dawned on me that modelers can use some tiny magnets to make this part removable so as to show off a completely detailed cockpit,

My good friend Jan Forsgren did exactly that. He did a fantastic job on the old kit.

1-Haunebu017.jpg

And an early image of a B.Mk1 conversion I'm still working on, from 10 years ago, might actually get finished one day...ahem.

1-P1090183.jpg

• Like 6

Time to get cracking on that B.Mk.1, old fruit basket, or is that consigned to the "I'll get to it sometime' pile, also known as the 'At least I can use it for a doorstop in the vacation bungalow' pile? With the cracking new Vulcan, maybe you'll convert one into a B.Mk.1? An expectant world of plastic modellers awaits in anticipation for the answer to that one. Seriously, though, old boy, will you get back to this one or do Airfix have something up their proverbial sleeve regarding an early version of the Vulcan, which I realise would have to be substantially re-done, enquiring minds want to know and all that? By the by, whatever happened to that enormous 1/24th scale Buccaneer you were working on? Or do the squatters living in it now have common-law title to it via adverse possession? One more question, your Generalship, and I shall quit annoying/bothering you for the moment (until such time as I see fit to continue), seeing as you are something of a V bomber maven (you must be, looking at that ten-foot stack of V bomber kits you have!); did the Valiants used at Suez still have an NMF finish? Yes, I have a pre-re-release Valiant salted away, for which I have a cunning plan on finishing as an Operation Musketeer bird. It didn't cost me that much at the time, and who needs two legs anyway?

Best Regards,

Jason (A/K/A 'Old Peg-leg')

Edited by Learstang
Small change. Really just a trifle. Hardly worth mentioning.
  • Haha 3

By the by, whatever happened to that enormous 1/24th scale Buccaneer you were working on? Or do the squatters living in it now have common-law title to it via adverse possession?

I'm afraid, until the law has taken its due course and these blasted squatters have been forcibly ejected it will reside in the proverbial 'Cupboard of Shame' in splendid isolation. Actually, all in needs is a paint job now but you know what they say...'out of sight, out of mind' or some such nonsense. I shall return to it at some point, only, I'm not too sure what point that will be.

With the cracking new Vulcan, maybe you'll convert one into a B.Mk.1?

You must wait and see...:wicked:

did the Valiants used at Suez still have an NMF finish? Yes, I have a pre-re-release Valiant salted away, for which I have a cunning plan on finishing as an Operation Musketeer bird. It didn't cost me that much at the time, and who needs two legs anyway?

Actually, old sausage they were painted an aluminium finish known as High Speed Silver (HSS), a rather fetching little number that was quite complex, as Nick Millman, here on BM wrote,

''High Speed Silver' was colloquial RAF shorthand for a painted aluminium finish applied using a fairly complex process - a high gloss finishing scheme to DTD 772 which included paints other than just aluminium. The aluminium paint required for the scheme was 'Finish, glossy aluminium - stores reference 33B/865'

It weathered quickly especially in hot climates, ending up as more of a faded grey, quite a few online images of Valiants sporting a rather tired appearance.

Tamiya AS-12 is a popular choice or you could go for Mission Models MMM-009 or Alclad  ALC-125, whatever is available.

PM incoming old sausage.

Thanks Serkan, very much appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful build General and I am looking forward to its appearance (now June I understand, gives me time to create a bit of space)

BTW, DNR is not used anymore, it is now DNAR (Do Not Attempt Resuscitation) or DNACPR(DNA Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and has been for a while now. I would hate anyone to suffer when at least the lettering could be correct. 

• Haha 1

But for the benefit of those of us who deplore the tiny photos which AMW editors seem to love, could you possibly post a larger photo of the main landing gear indicating the bits which should not be there? Also, a photo or illustration showing the landing gear bits that Airfix missed would be helpful.

Hope this helps.

1-AGD-0336.jpg

When finished, it should look like this, (if it looks a little strange it's because you are looking across two main-gear legs here).

1-AGD-0807.jpg

Melchie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Would you believe it - I actually missed this one!

What an excellent build of a superb aircraft. Although I've always loved the Vulcan, I've never had the calling to build one before .............. until now that is. It was that shot of the inside structure that did it. The problem is, if I build a Vulcan, how can I not build a Victor and Valiant as well. Look what you did!

Awesome engineering. Well done Airfix and well done Melchie!

Terry