Well done sir!  Interesting and informative article and a real teaser of a model, it looks great. Shame, I still have three of the old Airfix Vulcans to build in the loft.  I can see them getting pushed further back down the production line.

Colin

• Thanks 1

I am not going to buy one of these, it is too big, I Am Not going to buy one of these, it is Too Big. I AM NOT going to buy one of these, it IS TOO BIG. Ach schreiße, how big did you say it is, I'll go & measure. :( :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

No plated over version such as what is on XH558? Most of them were like that before receiving the TFR thimble itself.

You can easily replicate the plated version by removing the IFR probe, (top left in the image).

1-AGD-0049.jpg

I love your `Thunderball' style scheme by the way,.... classic Vulcan!

Thanks Tony, hope you're OK there, look forward to meeting up again at Elvington when events allow. Yes, personally I think the classic 60's camo scheme's the only way to go.

nice to see that a pig headed unwillingness to look facts in the face hasn't stopped you from making a stunning build there 

It's what keeps us going, that and the need to give Harry Hun a darned good style, British thrashing, six of the best, trousers down...

I am not going to buy one of these, it is too big, I Am Not going to buy one of these, it is Too Big. I AM NOT going to buy one of these, it IS TOO BIG. Ach schreiße, how big did you say it is, I'll go & measure.  

As our antagonistic cuboid collective friends from across the void would put it Steve...'resistance is futile'.

• Haha 6

That looks super. Lovely clean looking build that shows off kit features very nicely.

I do like the way that the modern kit designs seem to have a similar sturdy internal structure, like the real aircraft and (like with the 24th scale Typhoon) you just

get the feeling that if all's lined up as it should be on the inside then everything will turn out well on the outside too. Gives it a bit of 'soul' to me when the insides feel right and

enhances the whole experience for me. Enjoyed the magazine article too. Awesome, cheers Bob.

• Thanks 1

Howl howl howl ! Oh, you are men of stone ...... if a Vulcan doesn't stir memories and bring a lump to the throat.

How I miss the evocative Vulcan Howl - stirring as a Merlin.

Exemplary model,sir - excellent review, and effective sales pitch!

Looks like Quack`s getting one of those then!

Q

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Looks like Quack`s getting one of those then!

One!...One!...How can you decide what scheme of this beautiful creation you would make with one, I reckon the minimum is five. :whistle:

• Haha 2

I do like the way that the modern kit designs seem to have a similar sturdy internal structure, like the real aircraft and (like with the 24th scale Typhoon) you just

get the feeling that if all's lined up as it should be on the inside then everything will turn out well on the outside too

Thanks Bob, must agree about the structure. I don't think I've ever seen an inner frame as substantial as the one included here. Everything fits together perfectly. This in turn means that everything lines up correctly, no droop or twist. A credit to the designer (btw, Chris also did the 1/24th Hellcat). The thing is as solidly designed as the real thing.

This gives you some idea of the inner framework with weapons bay, undercarriage bays and engine intakes in place.

1-WIP19.jpg

it makes me realise how well I did with re-scribing the old one

Agreed, with a bit of work, there's still a lot of mileage in the old kit, I've built and re-scribed many, all good fun but it's nice to have one less thing to worry about.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, tnuag said:

Trolley is done, and Mandator 3/4 done.

Just for interest, here are two photos of a 3D printed Blue Steel bomb trolley. It is shown with the Vulcan adapters in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, tnuag said:

Just for interest, here are two photos of a 3D printed Blue Steel bomb trolley. It is shown with the Vulcan adapters in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Count me in for the Matador - have wanted one since I first saw the one at Hendon in 1983!

3 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Count me in for the Matador - have wanted one since I first saw the one at Hendon in 1983!

Me too!  I was there for the official opening of the Bomber Command section.  In my best uniform and everything, the Queen Mum shook my hand, even took her glove off first, a proper Lady.

Though I'm sure if General Melchett had been there he would have advised against that sort of thing with the lower classes and armourers. Baa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Zounds! The blasted thing's built more solidly than my house! On a more serious note, wasn't there a version with the wraparound camouflage - a real wraparound, not the quasi-wraparound as with the 'Red Flag 77' example? Or did I dream this? If worse comes to worse, I can do the 'Black Buck' version with the dark grey undersurface - I have the decals for that, courtesy of Mr. Freightdog, A/K/A Colin Strachan.

Bestest,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You were quite awake my dear Shturmorak, quite awake. There were no less than 15 tin triangles that received full wraparound, (if you include XH558 which received it's somewhat hybrid scheme shortly before becoming the display aircraft in September 1985). Quite drab but effective. At least 617 had that nice big squadron motiff on the fin to brighten things up a bit.

a real wraparound, not the quasi-wraparound as with the 'Red Flag 77' example? 

Ah, that would be XM607, poor thing had that awful Dark Brown/tan camo sploshed all over it's undersides. Apparently it worked rather well as she nipped in and out of the equally dark brown and tan Nevada scenery, well under the radar catching the locals quite orf guard. A cunning plan indeed...

• Like 7

How lovely to see you back here again, your Generalship. Greetings to you down there from North of the city.

That is a beautiful build and the story of it's gestation makes interesting reading indeed.

I never did get to work on the Vulcan, though my Brother in Law was on Vulcan Majors at Saints until the end.

Now then, someone mentioned the howl. And I make absolutely no excuse for putting this link in for my absolutely favourite example.

It never fails to make my eyes water and my heart to skip a beat. You'll need your volume up way past 11 BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydfddlcebSo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful job Your Generalness...and inspirational as always. I have a couple of these on order but...

• I have no idea when they'll arrive
  • I have no idea how I'll smuggle 'em past Mrs T when they do arrive
  • I have no idea where I'll put hide 'em once they're here
  • I have no idea when I'll build 'em
  • I have no idea where I'll put em when I do build 'em

But I've been hankering after these ever since I built the old tool one so these are minor details.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks dreadfully for the info, your Generalship! I must admit I rather like that bizarre Red Flag example (which Mr. Freightdog has also kindly provided for), but then my tastes do tend to run to the rather unorthodox. I blame the decade I spent as a Hindu fakir in the foothills of the Himalayas for that, with nowt but a well-worn copy of the Rig Veda and the langur monkeys to keep me company (thieving little beggars!).

Yours in Ganesha,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Haha 5

Thanks again fellas, 

Pete, that's one great clip, I don't imagine many have been that close to her on full chat without some sort of permanent damage. I don't think I've seen a Vulcan turn up the volume on finals before, would love to have been there, shouting the odds and waving my Union flag, tears streaming down my face, moustache quivering all while holding a proud salute...

Tim, the sacrifices and risks we must run in the name of this sport of kings, knows no boundaries...just do it, if not for King and country then out of a sense of honour, decency and the British way...then face the wrath of the memsahib with a stoicism born of our heritage (but bung a rolled up newspaper down yer Y-fronts, just to be on the safe side)... 

but then my tastes do tend to run to the rather unorthodox. I blame the decade I spent as a Hindu fakir in the foothills of the Himalayas for that, with nowt but a well-worn copy of the Rig Veda and the langur monkeys to keep me company (thieving little beggars!).

My dear Marshal, I hear your pain...you were a fakir eh, well that explains everything and then some....come to think of it, I think I found your copy of the Rig Veda when trekking the hills myself, only it had been slipped inside an equally well-worn copy of Playgirl, May 1847.

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 5

I have this on backorder with Hannants, I have the old Airfix Vulcan as well with the resin wheel bay and tail which I started to re-scribe, if and when I do it it will be a tanker version, as I have all the stuff for that but may have to pick your brains Andy as my knowledge of the Vulcan is limited.

Anyway I hope to catch up with you at Telford, hopefully all this Pandemic I keep hearing about will pass and we will get back to normality 🤣

• Like 1

I don`t where to begin with my accolades for this well written review and overall presentation of this highly anticipated kit.  I most certainly will return to this posting as a much need reference once I begin the journey of construction.  The photography is equally impressive.  There`s a lot to like about this coming Airfix Vulcan thanks in large part to this superb article!!!!! :goodjob:

Thank you good General!!! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Timmas said:

Beautiful job Your Generalness...and inspirational as always. I have a couple of these on order but...

• I have no idea when they'll arrive
  • I have no idea how I'll smuggle 'em past Mrs T when they do arrive
  • I have no idea where I'll put hide 'em once they're here
  • I have no idea when I'll build 'em
  • I have no idea where I'll put em when I do build 'em

But I've been hankering after these ever since I built the old tool one so these are minor details.

What you need Tim is a diversion, buy a plain white night dress for Mrs T with the letters DNR printed on, tell her it's just in case she has to go into hospital in these trying times.

When she finds out what DNR stands for she will be so cross that a couple of Vulcan kits will be nothing, better yet, get a couple of Airfix Victors while the going is good to replace that Matchbox one.  You know what they say? Go big or go home!... that was obviously before lock down. :facepalm:

• Haha 5

Absolute stunner General. What a treat to build and be so involved, and thank you for the insight into the process. When you consider the complexity of the airframe and the variations, it is amazing how few omissions/booboos have been made. A real tribute to the team at Airfix and your exhaustive research as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this on backorder with Hannants, I have the old Airfix Vulcan as well with the resin wheel bay and tail which I started to re-scribe, if and when I do it it will be a tanker version, as I have all the stuff for that but may have to pick your brains Andy as my knowledge of the Vulcan is limited.

No problem at all Kev. I think what I'll do is post a separate thread on building the kit and any problems along the way, modifications etc that need doing for any particular version, K.2, MMR, Skybolt etc, then ask to have it pinned for easy referral (pretty much what I did with the Valiant).

Yes, I feel the same way, looking forward to Telford, in fact I just booked the accommodation (free cancellation of course). Here's hoping it can take place, be great to get out of jail and catch up.

I most certainly will return to this posting as a much need reference once I begin the journey of construction.  The photography is equally impressive.  There`s a lot to like about this coming Airfix Vulcan thanks in large part to this superb article!!!!! 

Many thanks Mike, that's very kind of you. It's a fun build with a few challenges along the way, as I say I'll post a thread detailing the build and what to add/take away for various versions.

What a treat to build and be so involved, and thank you for the insight into the process. When you consider the complexity of the airframe and the variations, it is amazing how few omissions/booboos have been made. 

Thanks Bangseat, my pleasure. It was enjoyable working with the designer, Chris, he's a smart lad who was very open to comment and correction. Unfortunately due to coming in a third the way through the project I wasn't able to see any omissions/errors until it was too late, believe me, he was a bit miffed too but can only go on the LIDAR scan info supplied at the time, (a downside to scanning museum aircraft). Fortunately he was able to incorporate much of the extra detail I supplied, hopefully, adding a fair bit to the kit.

• Like 2