In a word, stunning. 

You've done a superb job with this kit and your build quality and finish is outstanding. 

Thank you for taking us through the design process and the mini obstacles to look out for. 

When the new Vulcan was announced, I was undecided whether to buy one or not, as I have a number of the original kits in deep storage, but you've done a superb sales pitch which has swayed my judgment. You must stop doing this as my pension will only stretch so far, you naughty model making man 😊

I've been thinking about getting a Sentinel tractor for some time now, so now that is on my shopping list too. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work Melchie, I also enjoyed your build in AMW a few weeks back. 

It looks like a nice kit despite the few inaccuracies that you point out. 

I look forward to getting my hands on one. 

James

• Thanks 1

Lovely work, it looks fantastic.

The old kit can be made into something half decent but it does involve hours and hours of sanding, filling and rescribing... this kit is going to be much more desirable.

gazza l

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very well done Andy, looks like an order of magnitude improvement for the old bus in 1/72.

I'm sure I'll become very acquainted with it on the commissions circuit! 

Thanks for all the excellent info as well. 

Alan

• Thanks 1

Decided not to bother with the new Vulcan as I have always felt that the beast which I spent so many years on at Waddo and Scampton didn't actually produce great models; especially with so many V models weathered to within an inch of their lives which I simply don't recall as accurate.

Big mistake, now I have to find 60 quid to try (and fail) to produce something like yours your Generalship. A fabulous rendition of a great aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Magnificent model your Generalship!

20 hours ago, general melchett said:

AIM RAF ground Equipment

Here's hoping Neil @tnuag finally gets round to releasing his Mandator and Blue Steel trolley to coincide with the Airfix release - please, you know it makes sense!

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page130.html

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page134.html 

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, just happy you like it.

I was thinking that maybe your absence and lack of recent  Naughty Corner frivolity meant that you were working on a pre-release model of some sort. Boy, howdy, were you ever! I can't wait to get my hands on one! 

Thanks Mike, yes, all well here, hope it's the same for you out there. I've been absolutely snowed under with mag builds and 3D printing production for a certain aftermarket company as batch orders keep coming in, so less time for Naughty Corner shenanigans...don't worry, normal service will soon be resumed. Re the kit, you won't be disappointed...

I've been keeping an eye on the magazine racks waiting for this issue to land....

David, hopefully it'll land somewhere near you very soon...(lovely Bucc,, by the way)

One question is, where does one find all that fabulous Ground Equipment Hardware??

Thanks Michael. All AIM products are sold exclusively through Hannants, ever expanding range that's easy to find.

but you've done a superb sales pitch which has swayed my judgment. You must stop doing this as my pension will only stretch so far, you naughty model making man . 

Thanks Chris, I'll pass that on to Simon Owen, Airfix's senior marketing exec, he hoped it might have some effect. Funny, but I remember the day he called me to ask if I would help with the project. He sounded a little fraught and there was a lot of noise on the mobile connection. I asked him where he was calling from and he said...'I'm stood on top of a Vulcan in a gale-force wind, cold and wet, wondering what the hell I was doing'...ah, the things we have to endure! Sorry to make a dint in your funds...but, you know it makes sense.

Lovely build Andy, I would imagine it knocks socks off the old Airfix Vulcan kit

Thanks Kev, hope you're OK mate, long time no see, (but then that goes for everyone...roll on the shows) Yes, it's a big improvement especially the way the wing spar framework is designed, Chris did a great job on ensuring that everything lines up perfectly and is extremely sturdy.

I also enjoyed your build in AMW a few weeks back. 

It looks like a nice kit despite the few inaccuracies that you point out. 

Thanks James, glad you enjoyed it. The inaccuracies are more omissions really, after talking to everyone, I think it was down to the problems of using a museum aircraft that's under constant restoration, things are always changing. Shape wise, it's spot on, as you'd expect with LIDAR scanning data.

I'm sure I'll become very acquainted with it on the commissions circuit! 

Thanks for all the excellent info as well. 

Thanks Alan, yes, I'm sure you will, look forward to seeing what you do with it. I'll certainly be getting a few more......well, being a long-serving member of the Bomber Command SIG, it would be rude not to.

Decided not to bother with the new Vulcan as I have always felt that the beast which I spent so many years on at Waddo and Scampton didn't actually produce great models; especially with so many V models weathered to within an inch of their lives which I simply don't recall as accurate.

Big mistake, now I have to find 60 quid to try (and fail) to produce something like yours your Generalship. A fabulous rendition of a great aircraft.

100% agree with you Patrick, the only time I've seen any of the Vs in that state was when sitting on the fire dump, awaiting the inevitable. I always recall the earlier gloss finished aircraft being pretty clean, the undersides of the wing was another matter on the Vulcan and Victors. I don't think you'll regret spending the shekels.

Here's hoping Neil @tnuag finally gets round to releasing his Mandator and Blue Steel trolley to coincide with the Airfix release - please, you know it makes sense!

Thanks Dave, don't worry...I have a strong feeling they'll be on their way :whistle:

• Like 4

She is a stunner and captures the shape wonderfully, fantastic job you have done

Can't wait for the release, just got to decide which to build

Decisions, decisons

• Thanks 1

While I saw XH558 fly a few times and was duly awestruck, I've never really fancied a Vulcan as a build for some reason, though you've just changed that with this build! Interesting to read about your involvement with the development of the new Airfix kit. I am likewise local to Newark Air Museum, went up in XM594's cockpit once which was a bit of a thrill. 

Good to hear that they did go through with the option to do both 200 and 300 versions and all the bolt on bits. Guess there gonna be popular !!

Thanks Paul, yes, we discussed this, although I was unaware and pleasantly surprised that both fin cap and Red Steer tail cone styles were included in this release. The two X-Band emitter heads were also a nice touch.

A tad big for my storage facilities mores the pity.

Sorry to hear that Trevor, it is a big old lump and the shape not exactly space friendly, hopefully you might find room, at some point.

I've never really fancied a Vulcan as a build for some reason, though you've just changed that with this build! Interesting to read about your involvement with the development of the new Airfix kit. I am likewise local to Newark Air Museum, went up in XM594's cockpit once which was a bit of a thrill. 

Thanks Tony, great to hear that you'll have a go at one, be good to see your build on here. I've provided research for a few companies over the years and being a confirmed Vulcan nut I couldn't turn down the chance to work on this one. I spent a fair bit of time in and on XM594 for this project and managed to get a lot of information. I was also grateful that they managed to lower the RAT and open the weapons bay for photos too even though the RAT isn't included in the kit (to be fair it was rarely deployed). Very useful for future use. 

• Like 2

'Look out Port Stanley, here I come...' 

This looks stunning. Brilliant. What a belly full of trouble she's carrying. Beautifully presented. I am building the Trumpeter 1/200 Blue Steel variant so your model got my full attention. Tiptop General M.

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2021 at 15:03, general melchett said:

The aircraft chosen here was XM597 as she appeared at the 1974 Greenham Common Air Tattoo. I chose here due to the unusual combination of squared off fin cap, white tail cone and circular dielectric panel on the upper fuselage and early 'D' style markings.

XL319 is now in a very similar scheme

On 09/03/2021 at 15:03, general melchett said:

Incidentally, three nose configurations are provided, one smooth, one with just the TFR thimble and one with TFR and IFR probe thus allowing any combination of styles can be built.

No plated over version such as what is on XH558? Most of them were like that before receiving the TFR thimble itself.

You`ve done your usual masterful job mate and the new kit looks amazing,...... now to decide which scheme I want to replicate,...... I love your `Thunderball' style scheme by the way,.... classic Vulcan!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Magnificent model your Generalship!

Here's hoping Neil @tnuag finally gets round to releasing his Mandator and Blue Steel trolley to coincide with the Airfix release - please, you know it makes sense!

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page130.html

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page134.html 

Trolley is done, and Mandator 3/4 done.

• Like 4

Superb work General, nice to see that a pig headed unwillingness to look facts in the face hasn't stopped you from making a stunning build there and the ground equipment is a really nice touch.

I really like that they've added a nose weight casing, clever airfix!

Rich

• Thanks 1