"Oversized signature removed" (in bold red letters!)

My signature has been deleted, three links (two to current WIPs, one to my most recent RFI) all in standard size text, plus one small hyperlinked image representing a GB proposal I'm floating. I didn't check the size of the image before I put it in but if it exceeded 400 x 150 (which would surprise me) it can only have been a few pixels. I didn't feel the overall effect was excessive.

My point is, mods, while it might seem trivial a short message clarifying the issue and asking me to fix it (which I would have done with pleasure) might have been a more palatable option than chopping it completely without notice?

Thanks.

Edited by TonyOD

I removed it. The image was 190+ pixels high with 2 additional lines of text and a further space sitting on top of it. 

Sig requirements are in this pinned thread Link  with fair warning that it would be removed.

As for a short message, it’s far quicker to remove when found than to PM, wait for a response and then check again to make sure it has been carried out. Yours wasn’t the first, last or only one today and that all adds up. ;)

@Greg B Thanks for this clarification.

I realise you guys give your time to running this forum generously and willingly, and I try to be a constructive and valued member of this community, hence the GB proposal. Again, though, a quick message (much shorter than your reply above) pointing out the issue or even just directing me to your link would have done the job and come across as rather more courteous. My time's valuable too, and I'm not sure I can be bothered rebuilding the thing.

Also as the "rules" as stated above the signature editing box are far from complete it may be worth putting a link to the full story alongside them. It can't really be called fair warning if I don't know it's there, and it's unreasonable to assume that everyone reads all the FAQs. 

Cheers 😉

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/03/2021 at 12:57, TonyOD said:

@Greg B Thanks for this clarification.

I realise you guys give your time to running this forum generously and willingly, and I try to be a constructive and valued member of this community, hence the GB proposal. Again, though, a quick message (much shorter than your reply above) pointing out the issue or even just directing me to your link would have done the job and come across as rather more courteous. My time's valuable too, and I'm not sure I can be bothered rebuilding the thing.

Also as the "rules" as stated above the signature editing box are far from complete it may be worth putting a link to the full story alongside them. It can't really be called fair warning if I don't know it's there, and it's unreasonable to assume that everyone reads all the FAQs. 

Cheers 😉

1. There are only 3 of us so a PM each time the rules are broken is not something we can do.

2. Virtually everyone manages to read the rules and the FAO if they have an issues.

3. The fact that it says oversized signature removed maybe gave some idea of the problem? 

• Like 2

Most forums have some regulation on signature size, BM's don't seem to be anything unusual. I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶

Edit: I did go and have a look at the change signature page, the rules are there

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Whenever I'm doing a new GB banner, I always check the signature limit from the FAQ:s just to be sure it fits. Mostly browsing with my phone in the upright position, any signatures can't even be seen and actually that's a very good thing - thus, check my current one :rofl:

V-P

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

@Greg B @Julien - hi chaps. This thread is old news now, but since this conversation I've been limited to two URL's and no graphics in my signature. I'd like to consider myself a proactive and useful member of the BM community, in fact I'll be hosting what promises to be a very large GB in the new year, a GB I've spent over a year promoting and nursing through the Bunfight. With this in mind can we say I've done my time and restore my signature privileges? I'd like to design a small GB banner, but would be disappointed if as GB host I wasn't able to display it myself.

Cheers

Tony