Zoinks.....Scooter two, where are you!?

MarkSH

........Just arrived....and I'm afraid it's yet another Airfix B:

51018281533_fb9d979c62_b.jpg

51019011711_cce9cf6e7a_b.jpg

Looks alright.

I'll be sticking with the US Navy theme as It'll be an opportunity to test the colour mixes for the 1/32 scale build, additionally I'm going to do it in-flight and possibly doing something dramatic with the 'snake-eyes' inspired by the box art.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

More than happy to have another of these in the GB Mark, especially when I know how good it will look when you have finished.

I really like the sounds of your plan for displaying it and I am very interested to see how you get the Snake-eye's posed on their delivery to Charlie.

Evening all,

I made a start on my second build, just painting bits and bobs really but I thought that as I said I'd try to do something with the Mk. 82 Snake-eyes I'd better see if it was a viable option...bottom line, it is but it's flippin' fiddly!:

51023216646_83b24bbfdb_b.jpg

Nine bits of very small plastic each with a mind of its own, make up each drag blade, which like nothing better than to stick to everything except to what they were supposed to!

51022485118_e8a3a4a2dd_b.jpg

.....an idea of how I might mount the bomb, with something similarly posed on the other side.

51023216676_9837d7913d_b.jpg

.....and how it might appear in relation to the A-4, if I angle the main rod more I'll be able to get a more realistic separation from the aircraft.  The whole thing is a little delicate to say the least. Just got to do it all over again now,

51023216616_19c14da7f0_b.jpg

....and Pilot Bod securely in his office albeit minus his lower appendages. I added some little details to the Escapac seat. The jet pipe, intake and compressor disk are now in so I can button up the fuselage when the glue has cured.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Wow Mark, that deployed retarding blade looks fantastic!

I can see how making those would be extremely fiddly in 1/72, I would end up with bits stuck to my face and all all sorts.

The cockpit looks great with your modern US Navy version of Douglas Bader in it, fills it up nicely.

• Thanks 1

Hello folks,

After posting my progress yesterday I spent the rest of the evening finishing off the general assembly of Scooter two, all in all a very easy and straight forward build. the fit of the parts is very good and like many of Airfix's recent efforts you could even argue that the fit is a little too good. This little kit is far from perfect but as an enjoyable mojo restorer I certainly recommend it.  Only two small dabs of filler were required at this stage of the build but I'm sure that the application of primer will highlight any areas that need addressing.  My only complaint would be that the gates and lands on the sprue are too thick and short respectively making the removal of some of the smaller parts a little tiresome, one would have hoped that with the improvement in quality and engineering design of the kits the same could be applied to the design of the injection tree.

One issue I have noticed is the leading inner edge of the main gear doors which are both rounded, does everyone doing the same kit have this? are they meant to be like that or is it a mould problem?

Seeing as I will be displaying the model with the bomb load en route to their intended target I have added some sway braces to the wing pylons.

You can also see the hole drilled for the display rod there's just enough room, its a good job that this kit has a bob-tailed centre line tank.

51026807702_e2938685b5_b.jpg

I have cut off the bendy plastic IFR probe and replaced it with some brass tube and a spare turned probe tip,

51026708326_f0dd2cf52f_b.jpg

The clear parts have only just been glued in place formula 560, a few lost panel lines and a blade aerial to reinstate and it'll be ready for some primer. I've still got to make the second Mk. 82 yet

51026807752_6633067122_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Thanks Paul,

Yes I did see them, I remember someone doing a build on BM using one and it looked great, I was thinking that I really could do something along those lines using Photoshop. I have a small MDF plinth that I am planning to use and it may lend itself to that albeit in a more limited manner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Thanks Paul,

Yes I did see them, I remember someone doing a build on BM using one and it looked great, I was thinking that I really could do something along those lines using Photoshop. I have a small MDF plinth that I am planning to use and it may lend itself to that albeit in a more limited manner.

Yes motion blur on any close aerial view could achieve an equally good result. 
looking forward to see what you do.

Afternoon all,

I spent a little time at the weekend priming, masking and spraying the base colours on the A-4B:

I decided not to use dark grey or black for the pre-shading.

51039683007_9bc98afae4_b.jpg

I used a brown which I felt was more sympathetic to a) the top colour grey and b) the prevailing staining on the underside.

51039682997_099c4e2a41_b.jpg

Difficult to see in the photo but the pre-shading does show through the underside white,

51039587591_9b827b20f4_b.jpg

The topside has also received a light spray of very dilute white in the panel centres.

51039682932_cd9c990ebe_b.jpg

I just need to mask and spray the 'Oxford blue' on the tip of the vertical tail and then I can apply the gloss coat and decals.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I have got around to applying and sealing the decals on to the VA-15 scooter:

The decals supplied with the kit were thin and well printed, conforming very nicely to underlying detail with minimal use of Micro Set/Sol even the engine intake warnings and the go faster stripes on the external fuel tank.

51068878376_49a31e6f20_b.jpg

All looking lovely and clean just out of the showroom.....

51068971472_2099f1a260_b.jpg

.....well that won't do....

once the decals were sealed I applied a thin layer of oil paint (tiny dabs of white, yellow ochre, Payne's grey & ultramarine) scumbled into the surface and then put some weathering powders into the still wet paint to highlight the panel lines, also including some darker paint for streaking all dragged back in the direction of airflow using a soft brush.

50999693195_26190c60f7_b.jpg

I've Just started on the top surfaces the starboard wing and fuselage rear of the intake have been completed so far.

51068971507_88b58e6fa3_b.jpg

More later

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 12