Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Remember that the GB area remains open even after the GB is finished.   If you wish to document the build in this forum, you would be most welcome.

Ah, OK, I will bear that in mind. My Norseman build is only the second one I have done a build thread for (and the first one within a Group Build), but I'm enjoying it, and I really enjoyed doing my previous one back in 2020. Build threads are great for a number of reasons. Its always interesting to see how a particular kit goes together, they can highlight potential issues etc, you can pick up tips (although I'm not expecting anyone to pick up much from mine!), and it gives you the incentive to get the kit finished (mostly!).  Even though I usually try and build the older stash residents first, more recently I have been thinking that I should just build what I feel like, whether the kit was purchased 10 years or 10 minutes ago, and I am looking forward to starting the Skyraider.

• Like 8

In case anyone UK based is interested, Amazon currently have the Revell boxing of the Char/Renault kit for just over £12 delivered

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMT1RCR/?coliid=II1OX8VCBB62E

Hannants list it at over £20

[Full disclosure: I made sure my order was in before posting] :winkgrin:

/P

Edited by psdavidson
Speeling mistooks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:33 PM, psdavidson said:

In case anyone UK based is interested, Amazon currently have the Revell boxing of the Char/Renault kit for just over £12 delivered

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMT1RCR/?coliid=II1OX8VCBB62E

Hannants list it at over £20

[Full disclosure: I made sure my order was in before posting] :winkgrin:

/P

Thanks, and still available at that price. I'm resisting because it's one of the few Matchbox kits I didn't build as a lad so the all important nostalgia effect isn't there. But it's still a nice little set. 

Once again apologies from your Aussie based co-host for the recent GB absence and big thanks to Pat for taking up the slack (yet again!). Mrs RL, Junior Miss RL and I have just spent the last week in country Victoria as our little rower was participating in the Australian Rowing Championships at a place called Nagambie. It was a good meet and plenty of experience was gain, however as expected no silverware came home, although this was never the intention anyway. Like this GB, just participating was a bonus and we are pleased how the little girl handled the very windy conditions. My Wifi access was pretty poor, so that explains my lack of GB input. I am back home now (although back at work tomorrow 😪 ) so I’ll do my best to get back on track and see what excellent progress and work I’ve missed. 

Cheers and happy modelling.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great to have you back at the coalface Dave.

We are now on our 13th page of builds and 5th page in the Gallery, which is amazing everyone,  congratulations. 

:partytime:

I'm sure our esteemed GB Leader @Enzo Matrixcan give us more room, so please have another look in the stash, there will never be a better time to build that Matchbox kit, that's trying to hide !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Has anyone mentioned this “Matchbox” kit?

Sort of Porsche

Actually if the wheels could be narrowed and the rear arches filled it might have the bathtub look of a Speedster.  The original 1960 Revell box art looks convincing, I assume the ghastly two part wheels were a later 60s mod?

Yes I have one but it’s not going in GB until after the Helldiver which I am to the loft to find tonight!

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Nearly three months in and out of the five I originally put myself down for I've finished the half track and done a small amount on the Lanc. I thought that five was possibly too many for me to build in five months but since the GB started I've bought another three kits, one of which is finished and the others started plus I've added a long stalled build, taking me up to nine prospective builds. I know I won't finish all of them in the next couple of months, especially with the Turning Japanese GB starting in a couple of weeks but I'll be plugging on with my remaining build that have threads set up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guilty as charged @TimJ, I've got a build in the current bombers GB that's running, far too many builds here and I'm planning a Betty and Ohka in the Turning Japanese GB :frantic:

Just enjoy the builds the numbers will take care of themselves.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi All, GB Mods,

I have looked through the awesome builds on here, and a lot of memories of

Matchbox kits built in my younger days.

I have umed and aahed as to whether I should enter?

With just shy of two months left, I am wondering if

I might be permitted to Join with this kit?

a7e967d1-0782-4c2c-9a4e-826ad6e9813b.jpg

Given my current Builds going on, this would be more of a quickish build (if for me there is such a thing^_^)

as an RNZAF SBD5

Thanks

Alan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This morning (assuming we can get in) I'll be at IWM Duxford.

I'm aware of the walkaround photos, but if there's a detail you'd like a photo of just reply here and I'll endeavour to get what you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All, GB Mods,

Given my current Builds going on, this would be more of a quickish build (if for me there is such a thing^_^)

as an RNZAF SBD5

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan

Both you and your Dauntless are very welcome to join the GB.

Please start a build thread, best of luck.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Alan,

Joining in with a fine crowd, I would love to see you put that one together. Especially since I butchered that kit myself when I was 11, back in early 1983 (it was a Christmas present), and I used the Kiwi decals as well.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi All, GB Mods,

as an RNZAF SBD5

Thanks

Alan

WOW - Another one of ‘the missing subjects’ -Glad you can join us Alan 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Both you and your Dauntless are very welcome to join the GB.

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the welcome, look forward to participating :)

7 hours ago, Daniel Cox said:

Joining in with a fine crowd, I would love to see you put that one together

Hi Daniel,

Thank you, I hope I can do the kit justice ^_^

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

WOW - Another one of ‘the missing subjects’ -Glad you can join us Alan

Hi Adrian

Thank you, look forward to participating:D

I'll set up a Build Log/WIP Toot Sweet :)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've just updated the Build list and quoted that we are short just two kits, the 1/32 Dauntless and Barry Sheen's Suzuki. I know come back here and spot @LDSModeller Alan's fantastic nomination to build the Dauntless for us, see what happens when you fall sleep at the wheel!! That's great news and wraps up 100% of Matchbox aviation subjects within one Group Build. 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

and Barry Sheen's Suzuki

Out of curiosity I just did a search on eBay for that one, and what's on offer is going for crazy prices. So it probably won't make it.

• Like 3

On 11/04/2022 at 07:09, Daniel Cox said:

Out of curiosity I just did a search on eBay for that one, and what's on offer is going for crazy prices. So it probably won't make it.

Same here, unfortunately I'm not so into Suzuki bikes that I could justify the cost, much as I want to help get the group build to 100%.

• Thanks 1

If the Suzuki appears great but, with 13 pages of builds let's get as many as we can in the Gallery completed in the meantime.

Note to self Pat,  get your finger out and build your own ones ! :blush:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Same here, unfortunately I'm not so into Suzuki bikes that I could justify the cost, much as I want to help get the group build to 100%.

Now if it was a Suzuki DR Big I would jump at it. I had a lovely blue one which I bought in Canada and imported to UK 😊

• Like 2

Kingkit have the Matchbox Suzuki RG 500 for a reasonable £60. I have dealt with them before and they are good people.

I would go for it myself but I have yet to photograph my finished Tiger Moth and finish up my Ju 188 and He 111 builds

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Kingkit have the Matchbox Suzuki RG 500 for a reasonable £60. I have dealt with them before and they are good people.

This is true , but the kit is missing both instructions and decals , so isn't quite the bargain it seems .