Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

So I have to ask the question did we build every matchbox kit? 

Also the slightly less obvious question; given the massive participation is someone somewhere recognising that there is a big potential market for all  those classic matchbox kits if the  brand were to be modernised (a little bit maybe ) and relaunched..... 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

Marklo has a point.  For decades people have been talking Matchbox kits down.  They are simplistic.  Low quality.  And oh!...  those trenches! 

This groupbuild has proved that there is a lot of love for Matchbox kits.  They're not state of the art kits by any means.  They weren't even that back in the day.  But they are a lot of fun to build.

• Like 16

A steady relaunch along the lines of the Airfix Vintage Classics series would be more than welcome. And with all the tooling and refining work done and sitting in storage, it's got to be financially viable. 

Heller are doing nicely too, repopping some quite ancient mouldings. 

I'm finding several uses for bright, colourful plastic sprue! 😎

• Like 4

Sadly I started this prior to the extension to the GB, and didn't start a new Topic as knew I wouldn't have it completed by the deadline. Then the deadline moved and I was too far down the build to show the majority of the assembly phase; rats. Here's a little taster, and the rest of the photos are in the Aircraft RFI section.

52157732694_37fba714f3_c.jpg

Thank you again to all for a brilliant, brilliant GB.

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

We are on our 10th page of builds in the Gallery, an unbelievable achievement everyone :worthy:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks, Pat @JOCKNEY for getting the two week extension and to you and @Rabbit Leader for running the GB, HMS Duke of York just steamed past the finishing post.

• Like 4

Well the End is nigh, big thanks to the lads setting this up and keeping all us building with the ongoing encouragement, My first GB on BM too so really fun for me as well, I forgot how modelling should be instead of getting wrapped up in the latest Etch and Resin.

I was great to see that so many people took part and the outcome was some excellent build threads and finished models, so well done to all.

I won't be around for the 100 Y/O one so maybe my Daughter will take the mantle and build one for me (if there is any left in the Stash)

all the best lads, have a great summer.

Regards

George.

• Like 9

Many, many thanks to @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for the inspiration and support during this GB. I started seven, finished three and two more are really close (Fiat G91 and P-38). Hope to finish them all and post the finished articles in the build threads. Lots of fun and remind me never to have seven builds going at once ever again (although three seems about right).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What a fantastic Group Build this was!

Thanks to @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader for keeping us all in check and offering encouragement too.

I managed to complete two builds (a mere bagatelle compared to some!) but they were projects I had had in mind for quite a long time, and both with very personal links. I always find being involved in a GB is a great inspiration and being backed up with a great deal of help and advice, I find they are the best places for 'involved' builds.

Thanks again to everyone who took part in the GB, and I apologise to anyone where I have not been able to comment or like, my intentions were good!

Ray (who is now committed to only 1 build in the Classic Revell/Monogram GB - subject to change!)

• Like 7

Well, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first group build. I only got one model done, but I'm pleased with it, and it was one I'd been planning for a while. This group build has been a real trip down memory lane, and I must admit, I have found it really heartening to see just how popular Matchbox kits still are, especially with how far (both in quality and price!) kits have come since. I suppose though, the nostalgia factor is a big plus as they are what a lot of us started out on (and still build in some cases!), plus they are still the only game in town for some models. I'm not at all surprised that since joining this group build, I have added 2 more Matchbox kits to my stash (1/48 Skyraider and the Morris C8 with 17pdr gun and Jeep set). Definitely would like to take part in more group builds, and am seriously considering using them to help me pick what kit I should do next, and then more importantly, to give me the incentive to actually finish the kit, at least within a reasonable time frame!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

really heartening to see just how popular Matchbox kits still are

Indeed. Of course, with my personal predilection, some aircraft simply don’t exist beyond the old Matchbox moulds. Early Lysanders, Seafoxes, and what about Heyfords and Stranraers? Thank goodness for Matchbox having the courage to produce them back in the day.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Indeed. Of course, with my personal predilection, some aircraft simply don’t exist beyond the old Matchbox moulds. Early Lysanders, Seafoxes, and what about Heyfords and Stranraers? Thank goodness for Matchbox having the courage to produce them back in the day.

Matchbox certainly chose some eclectic subjects as part of their range, and all credit to them for doing so. The Norseman (which was my contribution to this group build), Buckeye and 1/48 Seasprite are the ones that spring to mind for me. I always thought Matchbox kits had the best box art too, although maybe the eye catching "Matchbox" logo helped!

• Like 5

A big thanks to Pat and Dave ( @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader ) for running this GB.  It was great to see so many vintage kits getting built and to see the different approaches taken to them by the builders.  Although I only got one build done this was all I'd committed to because we moved house right in the middle of the the GB's time period.  I'd have liked to have done another, possibly a Skyray or Northrop F-5, but I can always have a bash at those another time when I can actually do some kit-ruining.  The Meteor I built was full of frustrations but I was quite pleased with the end result, even if the model is 30% filler and 15% swearing. 

It was good to build alongside you all and to look through the gallery at all of the finished articles was a real pleasure.

Thanks,

JRK

• Like 13

This has been great fun, a big Well Done to everyone involved. All of the builds have been absolutely brilliant and very nostalgic, particularly for those of us who can remember when Matchbox came along and revolutionized our kit building all these years ago. 

John 

• Like 9

Many thanks to Pat and Dave for hosting the GB, it was great to see so many kits being built and even if I didn't manage to finish all mine I did get six done which I'm pleased with. Who knows, the Lancaster might come back for the next one. 🙂

• Like 1

What a great GB. I've really enjoyed scrolling through the gallery remembering which ones I built in a rainy afternoon way back then. My knowledge of MB kits is limited to the ones that were sold by the holiday camp shop, so it's a real eye opener to see what else they did and how many odd subjects they were prepared to take on.

Thanks @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for this GB, it has been a simple little pleasure, reminding us all of the fun that this hobby can offer if we allow it to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to reiterate what has been said - I've thoroughly enjoyed this GB and, even if I didn't finish in time*, it has given my modelling mojo a big KUTA... Huge thanks to @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for hosting, and for twisting my arm to join in in the first place... 

I WILL finish my Phantom - hopefully before the end of next month...

Cheers,

Nige

*my own silly fault for trying to make a slightly hairy leather purse out of a sow's ear...

Edited by Galligraphics
typo and tweaking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's been great, and well done to Pat and Dave.

So for me at least, it's farewell to the happy simplicity of Matchbox builds and hello again to the photo-etched fumbling and aftermarket angst of modern kit building.

Or perhaps not... 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff J said:

Is it over?

'twas fun! Thanks to all.

And here's my parting shot for the Twotter fans:

50 Years Plus: Where Can You Find The Oldest De Havilland Twin Otter Aircraft?

Cheers for that link @Jeff J, it was a very interesting read!

All the best,

Ray (very much a Twotter fan!)