Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

On 4/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

So I've just updated the Build list and quoted that we are short just two kits, the 1/32 Dauntless and Barry Sheen's Suzuki. I know come back here and spot @LDSModeller Alan's fantastic nomination to build the Dauntless for us, see what happens when you fall sleep at the wheel!! That's great news and wraps up 100% of Matchbox aviation subjects within one Group Build. 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave 

A Barry Sheen Suzuki just landed in California on its way here... It should arrive early next week.

Motorbikes not usually my thing, but that Barry Sheen era was pretty memorable.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

A Barry Sheen Suzuki just landed in California on its way here... It should arrive early next week.

Motorbikes not usually my thing, but that Barry Sheen era was pretty memorable.

Such commitment to the cause!  :clap2:

Hopefully your example will inspire the rest of us to get our Matchbox builds finished and in the Gallery :)

• Like 4

Never mind Matchbox kits of the 70s, does anyone else remember the Matchbox (and I guess Cadbury) Easter Eggs? Each egg contained one of 3 or 4 toy cars...and every year I somehow got the same damn one! It was very traumatic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, Rob S said:

That it was

Great Video… thanks for posting. I could have spent an hour modelling, however watching that was twice the fun. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thank you so much @drdjp11, that's amazing :yahoo:

To think that we have managed to have every single original Matchbox kit that was ever released included in this GB :surprised:.

Just let that sink in for a minute !

Congratulations everyone :worthy:

Cheers Pat

• Like 13

Yes, well done everyone, what an amazing effort. I’d say a few won’t make the gallery before GB end date however these threads won’t close, just the gallery will. Keep ‘‘em coming, there’s no better time to build these old classic kits. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 9

I'm finally getting down to looking at all of the magnificent builds that have been going on here since I bowed out a few months ago.  Superb, one and all...and so much time left!  Man, I wish...I have a Boeing P-12 still...I am so busy over in other places, and have actually lost the fire for one GB...Oh, it is so very tempting...Still, you all are making such amazing models from these old and venerable kits.  Really first class one and all!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 24/04/2022 at 00:02, JOCKNEY said:

To think that we have managed to have every single original Matchbox kit that was ever released included in this GB :surprised:

Excellent. That is a remarkable achievement, though, isn't it?? 

I mean, when you look at the list put up on page 1....! You wouldn't have predicted a Full House 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi folk's,well thats my lot,two fell by the wayside but all in all a great few month's fun building and watching builds of these iconic MB kit's.Big thanks to @JOCKNEY

and @Rabbit Leader for the huge job of looking after us big kids over this one.Now I can sit back and watch everyone else's builds and prepare for my first hosting roll

in the Revellogram GB,My other 109 arrived today and Matt said there was a surprise in the box,well there certainly was three whole kits worth in fact

if only I had time to knock another one together!

20220507_150636

• Like 18

Hi Ladies and Gents 

You may have wondered where the Spare Parts thread has disappeared to.

The thread has been removed as it wasn't in accordance with the house rules here on BM.

I take full responsibility for this as your GB Host and can only apologise. 

Can I ask that you please use the Wanted section here on BM to help each other keep yours and others build going.

Finally again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Regards Pat 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@JOCKNEY

Over on davecov's Messerschmitt 410 build thread I mentioned 'plastic soup' and you said 'Pray tell more Fred?'

Simple really. Plastic soup is a filler every modeller should know about

You dissolve waste polystyrene plastic in liquid polystyrene glue until you get a thin or thick liquid plastic the consistency of honey

In use the polystyrene glue base carrier dissolves, aka melts, the plastic of your kit a wee bit and the plastic of the soup melds with it 

Once hard its just like the rest of your kit

I have a small bottle of soup which is like Trigger's Broom

In Dave's case, he wants to keep the Matchbox kit in its moulded plastic colours.

If he needs or wants to use fillers, ordinary fillers will show up like a white line on a road.

But if he dissolves the Matchbox coloured sprues in glue to make 'soup' and uses that the soup colour will match the colour of the plastic parts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 7:40 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ladies and Gents 

You may have wondered where the Spare Parts thread has disappeared to.

The thread has been removed as it wasn't in accordance with the house rules here on BM.

I take full responsibility for this as your GB Host and can only apologise. 

Can I ask that you please use the Wanted section here on BM to help each other keep yours and others build going.

Finally again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Regards Pat 

All good Pat

I'm sure it was just a technicality and your intentions were admirable!

I'm sure a lot of Matchbox fans were assisted while the thread was up....including me! 🙂

Will head over to Wanted section in future no problem at all

Thanks for the amazing work you and all involved with the Matchbox Anniversary group build have been putting in ....it's an abolutely cracking theme!!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,well thats my lot,two fell by the wayside but all in all a great few month's fun building and watching builds of these iconic MB kit's.Big thanks to @JOCKNEY

and @Rabbit Leader for the huge job of looking after us big kids over this one.Now I can sit back and watch everyone else's builds and prepare for my first hosting roll

in the Revellogram GB,My other 109 arrived today and Matt said there was a surprise in the box,well there certainly was three whole kits worth in fact

if only I had time to knock another one together!

20220507_150636

Wowzrers, Great Effort there and what a fine gathering too! Well done that man.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@stevej60latest completion takes us onto our 8th page of builds on the Gallery.

This is amazing,  congratulations to you all, and there's still time to get those builds in before the gallery closes for this GB.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 5

I would like to think that somewhere there is a person who worked for Matchbox back in the day, either as a designer, production operator, warehouse staff, whatever, who can see this forum and realise that fifty years later there are still people who appreciate all the hard work they put in.

• Like 12

@Rabbit Leader @JOCKNEY  Hi Dave and Pat.  I'm really hesitating to mention this (knowing that you have real lives and all that), but as the end is nearly nigh it would be great to have the Build List updated to show the current status if possible.  I only say this because I care :winkgrin:.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

@Rabbit Leader @JOCKNEY  Hi Dave and Pat.  I'm really hesitating to mention this (knowing that you have real lives and all that), but as the end is nearly nigh it would be great to have the Build List updated to show the current status if possible.  I only say this because I care :winkgrin:.

Cheers

All good Cliff and sincere apologies to all for my long absence. I won’t bore you with the details, however life’s been quite busy, but do apologise to all (especially Pat) for my lack of updates. I do plan to get this back on track as early as tonight (my time) so please bare with me until I find the time to sort things out. 

The amount of excellent activity within this GB has been truly amazing and it’s incredible to see so many superbly finished models in the gallery. You have all done a tremendous job and are a huge credit to this remarkable Britmodeller community. 

Well done everyone.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4