Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

Is there any such thing as a one-to-one scale painting template for 1/72 scale model?

I'm asking because I noticed last night that the paint diagram for the rebel model shows that there should be a black shape just in front of the pilots' windscreen presumably to prevent sun glare but there's no decal for it, and the instructions say it should be painted satin black anyway.

So I figured if there is such a thing as a one-to-one scale painting diagram for a 1/72 model then I could just cut that bit out, lay it on top of a piece of masking tape, and then cut out the shape.

25 minutes ago, Jeff J said:

Is there any such thing as a one-to-one scale painting template for 1/72 scale model?

I'm asking because I noticed last night that the paint diagram for the rebel model shows that there should be a black shape just in front of the pilots' windscreen presumably to prevent sun glare but there's no decal for it, and the instructions say it should be painted satin black anyway.

So I figured if there is such a thing as a one-to-one scale painting diagram for a 1/72 model then I could just cut that bit out, lay it on top of a piece of masking tape, and then cut out the shape.

My solution... Download the PDF of the Revell instruction sheet. Zoom in to 630%. Screenshot of the noise cone. Print.

Now I just need wider masking tape (10mm not quite wide enough)

Are we half way yet? :whistle: Seriously yet again a classic nostalgia GB has made the dark January and February

weeks fly by so thank's to  @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for a terrific hosting performance and everyone

who's taken paint to plastic especially when current event's can sometimes make you feel guilty having the pleasure

of what we do for a hobby.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Are we half way yet? :whistle: Seriously yet again a classic nostalgia GB has made the dark January and February

weeks fly by so thank's to  @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for a terrific hosting performance and everyone

who's taken paint to plastic especially when current event's can sometimes make you feel guilty having the pleasure

of what we do for a hobby.

Hi Steve

I totally agree with you but I would like to add that working and building models helps me a little bit to change the ideas of the current bad news ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 5

4-EC1-A99-C-850-A-4-F93-9-A53-49898250-D

This was my little gesture last week, as happens I built it with the other set of kit decals but decided on a change of ownership given recent events.

One of the tenets of Buddhism is to be grateful for one thing each day. And if we’re here posting about model making than in reality we have more things to be grateful about than most of the rest of the planet. 

I’ll put my soapbox away now :) 

• Like 9

I would like to belatedly join this group build please with a Matchbox UC-64 Norseman. 

I have been considering joining a group build since I joined Britmodeller almost 2 years ago. Think it was a matter of a combination of one where I had an appropriate kit, and one that was running for a while to give me plenty of time! 

Must admit I was quite excited when I saw there was a Matchbox group build on. I have very fond memories of my dad and I building several Matchbox kits when I was about 12. My first was the A-7 Corsair, which I'm pleased to say still exists and is currently hanging from the ceiling in the office/man cave at home.

A more recent Matchbox kit I did was the Messerschmitt 109, which I really enjoyed doing the camouflage for;

I have 3 Matchbox kits in my stash, the aforementioned Norseman, a Buckeye (which I may squeeze in, depending how the first build goes!), and the 1/48 Seasprite which I'll save for another time.

Anyway, enough waffle, time to get cracking!

• Like 11

Great stuff @danbuoy absolutely delighted you have chosen us to lose your GB cherry,  so to speak :blush:

You are of course most welcome, I can promise lots of encouragement from your fellow GB participants,  best of luck :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danbuoy said:

...My first was the A-7 Corsair, which I'm pleased to say still exists and is currently hanging from the ceiling in the office/man cave at home...

Photo, or it didn't happen!

• Haha 4

On 14/03/2022 at 19:13, Marklo said:

One of the tenets of Buddhism is to be grateful for one thing each day. And if we’re here posting about model making than in reality we have more things to be grateful about than most of the rest of the planet.

Oh, I like that!  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

As fellow Co-Host Pat has mentioned, so good to see you taking a GB dip here with us @danbuoy. It’s never too late and this is a long GB that should give you plenty of time to get something in the gallery. We look forward to seeing your work so best of luck and enjoy the show. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

I've just updated the build list and am truly amazed by the huge number of builds and activity that's still taking place within this GB. My congratulations go out to all of you - very well done.   

As I type this, we have nominations for 171 of the 177 originally designed Matchbox kits being built within this GB. There are still some individual subjects where WIP's have not been started as yet, so hopefully those of you that have nominated these will be in a position to get going before time runs out. 

If we include today (St. Patricks Day) there are 86 days left until this GB ends on the 5th of June 2022.  To some of you, this might sound like the opportunity to build another 8-10 kits, however for some of us (like me) this period can quickly evaporate in a blink of an eye, so best to use every opportunity available to add to the 80 beautifully finished Gallery models already on display. 

Cheers, big thanks and best of luck... Dave 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

To some of you, this might sound like the opportunity to build another 8-10 kits, however for some of us (like me) this period can quickly evaporate in a blink of an eye

Exactly! I still have a couple of Matchbox kits still lurking in the stash, but I’m afraid I have no intention of starting them for the GB. They’re both large biplanes, both already being built for the group build by someone else, and in any case I doubt I’d finish either of them before the end of the show.

As my single entry will be appearing in the gallery soon, I feel now is a good time to say what a fantastic classic group build this has been. I have taken part in the Airfix and Frog classics over the past few years, but they almost pale into insignificance compared to this one. Such variety, and so many of the old Matchbox range being entered, it shows just how much influence the company had on modellers over the years. I would like to have seen a few of the AMT 1/24th truck kits being entered, but you can’t have everything.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It has been a remarkably well received Group Build hasn't it? And still plenty of time to add a few more to the finished list.

I struck gold at my local model club last night with another pair of Matchbox kits.

20220317-092451-1.jpg

Another rescue mission beckons with a part started Wellington that was given to me when talking about the kit a few weeks back. One of our members had this one gathering dust in his shed. It's off to my shed now, where it won't be seeing much dust hopefully. Thanks Andy, if you are reading.

He also brought along a few sellers, and the Churchill bridgelayer made me buy it. At the price asked, I would have been crazy to leave it behind. I missed an Antar Tank Transporter by a few seconds, but two out of three ain't bad, as Meatloaf pointed out.

The Churchill is part started but way under the 25% rule and it's in line for a GB thread a bit later on. The Wellington will get added first, probably over the weekend.

20220317-093004-1.jpg

There's never a dull moment in the Matchbox GB!

• Like 8

On 3/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, Heather Kay said:

I would like to have seen a few of the AMT 1/24th truck kits being entered, but you can’t have everything.

I was asking the same earlier, is it because they are not well regarded, or because they were AMT  originated?

It is great to see this popularity with Matchbox models, they were a huge influence on me and would always get loads of them for presents as a kid. 

This is my first ever group build and I feel  my progress is positively glacial when I see how quickly the gallery is filling up!

One thing that has been a pleasant surprise is seeing how good the little AFV and military kits and builds appear to be, I've never seen these in the plastic before now.

My main Tyrrell build is 3/4s complete. second one just started.

Phantom about 1/2 way.

Canberra being prepared.

Puma and G91Y are sat staring at me and awaiting appropriate decals.

• Like 5

I was rummaging through my AFV stash looking for something else for the Big and British GB and found these, which I had totally forgotten about.  The big decision is what one to start with. 

resized_05560ad5-f661-4e2e-8277-8ff1b4f1

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

All of them, of course. :frantic:

That's the plan, Heather but I have to start somewhere. Although I do tend to have multiple builds on the go. 

And @JOCKNEY, @Rabbit Leader the LRDG is already all photographed up ready to start a thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Whilst browsing e-Bay for something else I saw "40019 Matchbox Polikarpov I-16". Apparently it is the ancient Revell kit I built in the mid 1960's or thereabouts so there won't be much in that box - 26 parts plus perhaps a stand and a lot of empty space!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1