Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

And a lovely little kit too Jeff!

Wish I could find it. One of those things that's been around and seen for so long that I can't remember where I last saw it now that I want it! I can't believe that I threw it away...I'm a terrible hoarder even of things far less valuable.

#Frustrated

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

IWe are now on our 9th page of builds in this GB,

Which is going to require some serious out-of-the-box thinking with regard to pollage in June.

Meh!   That's four months away.  We'll worry about it then.

More builds!  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So what’s the maximum number of builds we can have in a poll @Enzo Matrix
We currently have around 50 build threads each for both the Purple and Orange Aircraft range kits and probably close to 50 more for the other aircraft colour ranges combined. As I might have mentioned earlier, we may need to split these to create four galleries, but with slight differences. 

1. Purple & Airliner Range - Aircraft 

2. Orange Range - Aircraft 

3. Red, Brown, Green Range - Aircraft 

4. All Colour Ranges - Armour, Cars, Bikes, Ships

Any other thoughts out there? Happy to hear suggestions from anyone. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So what’s the maximum number of builds we can have in a poll?

The forum software can handle three questions in each poll.  Each question can have 25 options.  Given a "none of the above" option in each question, then we can handle 72 entries in a poll. 

It may be worthwhile having seperate polls as you stated. 

Maybe allow everyone to post their builds in a single gallery and then split it down after the GB ends.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Maybe allow everyone to post their builds in a single gallery and then split it down after the GB ends.

Thanks for the reply Enzo, I think ( as you suggest) we’ll leave this to the end and wait to see how many completed builds we end up with. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Any other thoughts out there? Happy to hear suggestions from anyone. 

Just my personal view Dave, but I would suggest not having a poll.  I don't think it's really what this GB is about (knocking out lots of kits and re-kindling childhood memories etc,).

It would also save you and Pat a lot of work :winkgrin:.

Cheers

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Just my personal view Dave, but I would suggest not having a poll.  I don't think it's really what this GB is about (knocking out lots of kits and re-kindling childhood memories etc,).

Cheers

+1. The polls are for more competitive GB:s... actually better suited for more competitive forums too 🙂. V-P

• Like 2

Just now, Rob G said:

What Cliff and V-P said. Just by taking part, we're all winners. 

That's very modern, isn't it? Everyone gets a Gold Star! :star:

I agree👍

I always find it too difficult to choose only one favourite when there will be so many despite spreading them out over various categories. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Cheers

Agreed - I'd just like to see lots of completed kits

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. To my knowledge we’ve never had a Poll for these types of Group Builds before, so perhaps we should just leave these as fun events without the need to be overly competitive. Personally I’m very happy to go that way and rejoice in that fact that by the time this whole show is over we would have collectively built a high percentage of Matchbox’s back catalogue and done the makers proud. 

Cheers and kind regards.. Dave 

• Like 5

I have never liked these polls either and wouldn't take part in them. However, if others are happy to have them and participate in them that is fine by me too.

I like the "all in one" gallery for completed builds because it is not just interesting seeing all genre in one place but it retains the spirit of community that comes with participating in a Group Build.

Dave

• Like 3

I am another who would be happy for there to be no poll. A few reasons:

1. Everyone's a winner, that's the truth!
  2. @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY have enough on their plate keeping us in check as it is.
  3. How difficult would it bee to chose a winner anyway?

Keep it simple, keep it fun, it is going well so far.

Cheers, RAY

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

rejoice in that fact that by the time this whole show is over we would have collectively built a high percentage of Matchbox’s back catalogue and done the makers proud.

By the end of the GB, I fear that we may have actually completed a not insignificant percentage of the remaining untouched Matchbox kits left in the wild. Which makes me a little bit sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

By the end of the GB, I fear that we may have actually completed a not insignificant percentage of the remaining untouched Matchbox kits left in the wild. Which makes me a little bit sad.

I think that's what Matchbox intended, anyone who originally worked at the factory I'm sure would be delighted to think that 50 years later, we are all still enjoying the fruits of their labour, and bringing so much happiness to everyone.

We are lucky that Revell reboxed lots of them to allow us to enjoy the same kit (all be it without psychedelic coloured plastic) and probably better functioning decals, whilst keeping our originals intact if we want to.

The other thing is Rob your originals are getting rarer and rarer by the day :like:, although I think you will always need your pension in the future :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Mint 1/32 Bf109 just sold for £35 on e-bay which I would have happily paid but sadly didn't! I have a less than ideal rule of only

bidding on items without any bids on them luckily no one usually wants old Matchbox,frog or Airfix kits so I usually get a result.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 07:57, JOCKNEY said:

We are now on our 9th page of builds in this GB, congratulations everyone  :thumbsup:, keep them coming !

Well my last two entries are now in the build thread's Pat,time to call a halt till the Matchbox GB 3!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2022 at 07:45, Rob G said:

What Cliff and V-P said. Just by taking part, we're all winners. 

That's very modern, isn't it? Everyone gets a Gold Star! :star:

Troo.  But in this case everyone who took part has earned that gold star!