Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

Just looking at the build list there's so much great stuff going on gonna have to do a couple more,contenders from the not yet proposed list

topped by the A10 Thunderbolt I do like the then Gray scheme with full titles in high-viz, and the Voodoo is in the crosshairs.

Ooh,Starfighter!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Just looking at the build list there's so much great stuff going on gonna have to do a couple more,contenders from the not yet proposed list

topped by the A10 Thunderbolt I do like the then Gray scheme with full titles in high-viz, and the Voodoo is in the crosshairs.

Ooh,Starfighter!

Any of those would be most appreciated Steve. Thanks for digging through the Built List to help make your decision. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I don't quite know why the Meteor NF is so popular given the fit problems, but at least it builds up into a nice model with a fair bit of effort and loads of filler. Together with the Jaguars, Provost and others there will at least be a good few planes with "D" types RAF roundels on so that should please Dave😁.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

I don't quite know why the Meteor NF is so popular given the fit problems, but at least it builds up into a nice model with a fair bit of effort and loads of filler. Together with the Jaguars, Provost and others there will at least be a good few planes with "D" types RAF roundels on so that should please Dave😁.

Pete

Having tinkered with the kit last night Pete I couldn't agree more,awful to say the least but I bet we get a good few cracking examples

in the gallery, on the brightside looks like the world supply should dry up be the end of the GB:yahoo:

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2022 at 3:58 PM, PeterB said:

I don't quite know why the Meteor NF is so popular given the fit problems, but at least it builds up into a nice model with a fair bit of effort

I found it to be a decent kit, yes it has some fit issues. Though basic skills and pre fit testing and sanding should help a little with that. Ive got two partial builds in the stash still just not sure if I want to finish them as is. Or tear them down and start over ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, PeterB said:

I don't quite know why the Meteor NF is so popular given the fit problems, but at least it builds up into a nice model with a fair bit of effort and loads of filler. 

It was REALLY popular just after it was issued when Aeroclub issued their Conversion Sets (I think there was four of them?) for it especially the one for the F8 conversion. 

• Like 1

Posting this here so I don’t get reprimanded again for Thread drift in a Build Thread (ha ha ha). But just looking at the Matchbox Mirage IIIB on Scalemates and it looks like this Italian mob

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerei-da-combattimento-93716-dassault-mirage-iii-bz--178493

rereleased it (and some other kits - maybe also Matchbox?) in the mid 90s. Anyone happen to know of this mob or seen or have this reissue?  

• Like 1

Attention: All fellow Matchbox Plastic Kit lovers.

Just a quiet reminder that this Group build ends in June 2022. At the rate that some of you are completing your marvellous builds you would think it was all winding up in a week or two!

I know many of you have multiple Matchbox builds planned or are moving on to the many other enticing BM GB’s, so it’s been difficult to keep up with everyone’s excellent and on going progress. 

I trust you are all having fun and encourage everyone to keep commenting on the many other builds as you have all fantastically been doing - so big thanks for that! 

Cheers Dave (Full time co-host and Part time modeller!)

• Like 11

Hello Dave @Rabbit Leader I dont think you need worry about me. Ive got 3 Matchbox on the desk with a possible two additional in the stash. However as of right now I have 9 builds on the desk with 3-4 waiting to go in the next four weeks. Nothing is going to get done fast. 

• Like 2

I'm shocked to say I don't think I've ever seen/touched a Matchbox model in the flesh.  Matchbox cars sure...but never model kits.  I enjoy seeing all the forgotten oddities resurfacing for another brief moment of glory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just a quiet reminder that this Group build ends in June 2022. At the rate that some of you are completing your marvellous builds you would think it was all winding up in a week or two!

I know many of you have multiple Matchbox builds planned or are moving on to the many other enticing BM GB’s, so it’s been difficult to keep up with everyone’s excellent and on going progress. 

I trust you are all having fun and encourage everyone to keep commenting on the many other builds as you have all fantastically been doing - so big thanks for that! 

Cheers Dave (Full time co-host and Part time modeller!)

Don't look now but we are on our 8th page of builds, 2 weeks into the GB:frantic:

I think we might have been overly optimistic Dave, to think even part time modeller !

Congratulations everyone keep them coming

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

At the rate that some of you are completing your marvellous builds you would think it was all winding up in a week or two!

Don't worry, Dave, mine's taking ages; I've managed to brush two very thin coats onto the underside and it's still pretty transparent.  At this rate (one coat every two days) I reckon I've got at least two weeks left, if not more!

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Pat, I'm loving seeing all these blasts from the past on here. For now an armchair followerer but keen to dip a toe in the shallow end of the group build pool and see what it's all about. I'm straight off the back of an 11 month build of the old tool Stranraer, so no stranger to the brand. As a kid growing up in the late 70's and 80's they were my go to for kits, nearly all of them bring back happy memories. (all except the Stranraer, that was a demon I had to exorcise! Thankfully I was successful, 2nd time around it was a joy to build as an old duffer)

I only have a Walrus in the stash, and I'm not keen to jump in with a build so similar to the Stranraer. I've got a few kits on the wishlist though - the DH82 is quite high (never made one as a kid) as is the 1/32 Bf109E. Or maybe another flying boat, the He115 or Do18, or maybe the Citroen Traction Avant or Bugatti??  Spoilt for choice! Just give me a while to get one within my cheapskate budget and I'll join you all ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm quite surprised at how quickly my build is progressing, but it might slow down soon.

I've also got plans to seek out a Matchbox 1:32 car kit to build next, maybe a Citroen Traction or Rolls-Royce Phantom.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2022 at 10:53, stevej60 said:

on the brightside looks like the world supply should dry up be the end of the GB:yahoo:

Awwwww no!  Don't say that.  :(  We need to have some for the 60th Anniversary GB.  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It's true that some builds have been superfast but I'm sure some of the king size builds will take a while longer.  😉

While I was having a tidy up yesterday I found a tube of Matchbox glue. I don't know how long I've had it but it's safe to say that I won't be using it on my models, mainly because I can't get the top off. 😀  I wouldn't have thought that there are many of these left.

51832900854_23e9e2044e_c.jpgDSCF3002 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Another piece of 70's Matchbox kit related memorabilia that I remembered I have is this jigsaw puzzle featuring Roy Huxxley's artwork.

51832903374_b1a91f79f0_c.jpgDSCF3003 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Presumably jigsaws don't qualify for the GB but I could make it and post it here. 

Edited by TimJ
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Awwwww no!  Don't say that.  :(  We need to have some for the 60th Anniversary GB.  :thumbsup:  

Sadly the “Omega” (“The End”) strain will have torn through the Population of the Earth by then leaving only Cockroaches inhabiting the Planet and They would rather eat Kit Boxes and $#!+ on Plastic Models than make them (and not to mention after billions of years of evolution no Cockroach has yet to exhibit any modelling skills at all anyway). 

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

(and not to mention after billions of years of evolution no Cockroach has yet to exhibit any modelling skills at all anyway). 

Don’t know about that Rob, there are quite a few good modellers down New South Wales way, some of those ‘Cockroaches’ have plenty of modelling skills to do just that! 

Cheers.. Dave (live from QLD - Cane Toad country)…. Its a Rugby League thing. 

For thems wot might be interested, there's a Graf Spee on eBay UK at the moment. I'd buy it and do a childhood revisit, but the postage is a killer, not to mention Australia's beyond ridiculous import tax on EVERYTHING, even 50 year old, used model kits. The Treasurer (whichever crook he may currently be) can get tied. 

Someone buy this and do it for the GB. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Look's like e-bay is getting trawled for matchbox kits right now I wonder how many are turning up here four of mine were bought there.

Revell rebox, if you are Scots, whoops I mean looking for value :wink:

• Haha 1