Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

12 hours ago, JackG said:

I specifically hunted down the boxing with the blue and yellow/orange plastic just to make it feel am building something different form the green and grey Sisken I had started a few years ago;

I have to say Jack, that hurts my eyes!

• Haha 3

On 12/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tim

I'm happy that you still have an awful lot of work to do to complete this one so unless anyone objects, it a yes from me and I'm delightedly to see a Lancaster in the GB.

If my recent Stirling and B-17 are anything to go by, the fun really starts when trying to close the fuselage up without turrets falling out etc, and they are to be free turning,  so no cheating by gluing them in position will be tolerated ! :wink:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. I'll do my best to keep the turrets turning. 😀

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, JackG said:

Picked up my evilbay purchase last Friday.  I specifically hunted down the boxing with the blue and yellow/orange plastic just to make it feel am building something different form the green and grey Sisken I had started a few years ago;

spacer.png

I too had not noticed the GB runs six months, but that is good to know.

regards,

Jack

Wow! The work you've done on that Siskin so far looks amazing. 

I've got a lurid orange and blue boxing myself, but I think the more standard green and silver version is in my build pile. For a kit that was intended to be built "unpainted" if desired, I'm not sure how Matchbox arrived at blue and orange for the Siskin initially.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JackG said:

I would guess the flashy coloured plastic was a marketing ploy to entice the younger modelers?

That's more than likely the reason. Don't think I was an average younger modeller back then, being an anorak from an early age. Some of the Matchbox plastic made me wince even as a kid, and I was always happier when the plastic colour had some semblance of the prototype. Mind you, a lot of the garish colours seemed more common in the 1970s, which might explain why orange was often a popular choice at Matchbox.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JackG said:

I would guess the flashy coloured plastic was a marketing ploy to entice the younger modelers?

regards,

Jack

I believe the different coloured sprues were to help with the packing to ensure that the right sprues were put into the right box, the team packing the Siskin would be told to pack one orange and one light blue plus the clear parts. It must have worked as I never had a Matchbox kit with the wrong sprues in it and know that I certainly did with Airfix kits of the time.

• Like 1

Good news is that this arrived today via eBay:

51749364031_d7002d0436_c.jpg

51750012379_74caa78a71_c.jpg

but sadly the bad news is that I won't now be doing Barry Sheene & the RGA 500 - on checking the box it contains a different bike altogether and I now have vague memories of selling the original kit. I do have a part started Vincent Black Shadow that I think will fall within the less than 25% window - I'll post photos nearer the start date and ask for a decision.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, beany said:

51749364031_d7002d0436_c.jpg

51750012379_74caa78a71_c.jpg

but sadly the bad news is that I won't now be doing Barry Sheene & the RGA 500 - on checking the box it contains a different bike altogether and I now have vague memories of selling the original kit. I do have a part started Vincent Black Shadow that I think will fall within the less than 25% window - I'll post photos nearer the start date and ask for a decision.

Is this the same kit Revell re-popped a while ago ? 

19 hours ago, beany said:

That's a good and bad story @beany. Always nice to see the Skyraider built, however that means we lose out on one of the two Matchbox Motorbikes we were likely to see. I'm sure we can get the Black Shadow over the line - send up some piccies and we'll make a determination. 

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is this the same kit Revell re-popped a while ago ? 

According to Scalemates it is Dennishttps://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-5327-skyraider-ad-5-a-1e--227897

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a good and bad story @beany. Always nice to see the Skyraider built, however that means we lose out on of the two Matchbox Motorbikes were were likely to see. I'm sure we can get the Black Shadow over the line - send up some piccies and we'll make a determination. 

I've actually got two for you to judge please, the Harley has had the engine and frame assembled and the bodywork sprayed but all of the main construction plus fiddly stuff and little bits still to do. The Vincent has the engines part started but that's about it.

51750732306_64141089c6_c.jpg

the Harley

51750972343_45b6d69734_c.jpg

The Vincent

51751378539_a956f4bca1_c.jpg

Cheers

Al.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, beany said:

I've actually got two for you to judge please…. 

Well I cannot see anything that resembles two Motorcycles in those photos Al, so I’d give them the tick of approval to proceed within this GB. @JOCKNEY, what do you say….do these two kits meet your approval for less than 25%? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well I cannot see anything that resembles two Motorcycles in those photos Al, so I’d give them the tick of approval to proceed within this GB. @JOCKNEY, what do you say….do these two kits meet your approval for less than 25%? 

Cheers.. Dave 

It's a big YES from me. :like:

One of my dads best mates had a black shadow and side car and this was "the lads" transport to go to watch horse racing in.

I'll share one of his stories about them and the bike when you start your build thread,  don't worry it's family friendly 😉 

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of made a start on my Flower class corvette...

51780016992_ebca3affdb_z.jpg

51780836221_2baf96abb5_z.jpg

Picked up the GLS Oerlikon and Pom-Pom sets as I don't think I could have put up with what Matchbox provided in their box.

See you on the 8th

IanJ

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I found this in the back of my late fathers shed so I think it'll be getting done. Not sure what the decals will be like.

2021-12-29_05-29-04

Dave

Good call Dave. We kick off on the 8th of January, however you are free to start your WIP threads right now! 

Cheers and welcome aboard.. Dave 

• Like 1

I have a question about markings and conversions. I already have two kits to build which I will do more or less OOB with no change. But I see from the kits list that no-one yet has put their hand up for the HMS Tiger helicopter cruiser kit. 

I have that - I built it as a teen and for a while now I've been wanting to re-do it as a minor "what-if it got an upgrade in the mid-80s". 

I don't mind either way but if this doesn't go too far from the spirit of the GB I will add it to the list (assuming I get that far anyway). Basically my idea is just to rebuild it, paint it properly, and using some of the weapons fit parts from my uncountable 1/700 Skywave modern ship kits, replace the guns with alternative armament and upgrade some of the radar and antennae. Nothing outlandish.

• Like 1

I’m happy for this to past muster and be included @bianfuxia. The ‘spirit’ of this GB is to just build Matchbox kits and being the aerophile that I am I’d probably never spot those differences anyway! We need way more ship kits, so it’s one green tick from me and hopefully another from @JOCKNEY very shortly. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m happy for this to past muster and be included @bianfuxia. The ‘spirit’ of this GB is to just build Matchbox kits and being the aerophile that I am I’d probably never spot those differences anyway! We need way more ship kits, so it’s one green tick from me and hopefully another from @JOCKNEY very shortly. 
Cheers.. Dave 

"Wot e sed"

It's great to have another Ship in the GB, best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

"Wot e sed"

It's great to have another Ship in the GB, best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

Cool thanks for the guidance. If I get through my other two builds then I will add this one to the list! 

• Like 1

OK, well, after some prevarication and hesitating, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring here with the Matchbox brethren. 

My choices are quite limited right now but I have the Norseman float plane which nearly got a look in on the High Wing group. 

IMG_20220104_235205

For some reason, seaplanes and flying boats seem to be a current theme on my board..... 🙄

Can I be added to the excellent list at this stage?? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

OK, well, after some prevarication and hesitating, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring here with the Matchbox brethren. 

My choices are quite limited right now but I have the Norseman float plane which nearly got a look in on the High Wing group. 

IMG_20220104_235205

For some reason, seaplanes and flying boats seem to be a current theme on my board..... 🙄

Can I be added to the excellent list at this stage?? 

Welcome Rob

Delighted to see you and the Norseman in the GB, please start a build thread and I wish you the best of luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

I have a 1/32 Tiger Moth that I am converting to a Queen Bee. It is less than 25% done so might drop into this build. I have recently defaulted on two group builds by not finishing in time - which is unlike me. Am busy doing quite a bit of modelling but its just the photographs and keeping an eye on all other’s work that I find was taking time away from the workbench.

So as I say I might look into this one. Am certainly interested in watching some of the builds 😊

• Like 2