Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

12 hours ago, Ray S said:

@JOCKNEY  Would you please pass judgement on whether this would qualify for the 'under 25% started' rule?

I have a Twin Otter started, but it stalled quite a while ago. I am fairly confident that it is under 25 percent, as there is very little of the kit glued yet, but I have built a fairly major scratch interior:

DSCN7167

DSCN7180

This means there is quite a bit done, but only three parts of the kit have been glued at the moment (the interior is still loose). It stalled because I had altered the windscreen glazing to give it the characteristic downward slope, but then came a cropper as I could not work out how to glaze it! I find a Group Build is an ideal way of stretching my skills, and this would certainly help me out no end!

Many thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray

Definitely under 25% in my opinion,  delighted that this GB offers you the opportunity to finish it 👍 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:27 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

OK, after so many hints to post these images on here, an ‘anonymous’ BM member wanted me to put up these (I’m not jealous) Matchbox photos in order to help bump this thread a little. So, here’s another three photos that absorb my free 1000 image Flickr account to whet your appetite.. Those who think that I deserve one of the four HS125 kits on view here, please say eye!! 

Cheers.. Dave (lead singer) and special thanks to @Rob S on lead guitar and avid kit collector / hoarder. 

51253971793_6f29ce722a_b.jpg

51253040317_a244c40fc3_b.jpg

51253971788_2a7a9f0ee6_b.jpg

Eagle eye Dave @Rabbit Leader spotted the Skyhawk in the “Purple “ Box and asked if it had the Israeli decals?  Photo of it duly taken and sent. 

He also noted I didn’t have a Mystere IV.  But then I discovered I hadn’t taken and sent him a photo of the kits on top of this layer!  Photo also duly taken and sent. Mystery and Mystere solved!  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now all we need to do is convince young @Rob S to crack open any box and build one of his many hoarded kits! 

I think it might have to be a slow work up outside of the GB to start off with by maybe finishing the Sea Fury conversion and Tempest II kits started in 1985 to blow away some cobwebs. 

Then maybe in the GB one (or more if I’m lucky) bagged “Builder” kit in case I stuff it up. So maybe no need to crack any of these ones open!  

(And you know it would be me if I had two Viggens and built a “Twin Viggen”!) 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Rob S said:

(And you know it would be me if I had two Viggens and built a “Twin Viggen”!) 

Well, who else would do something as weird as that... no sane modeller I know! 

Bargains on Matchbox kit can still be had in my corner of the world: a few local fleabay sellers have several for sale at decent prices, like a Lysander for € 15 including delivery. I've even found a couple purple aircraft kits with no box going for €10-11 with delivery, meaning delivery is more expensive than the kit. Probably because here in Italy there's less interest for these kits as collectables. In general I always try to look at foreign dealers for kits that for one reason or the other may be highly sought after in my country and I always suggest doing the same, it may well be easier to find a Matchbox kit for cheap in continental Europe than in the UK

The problem of course is that with Brexit and the general increase in postage over the last 18 months I do not know how expensive delivery to the UK may be ! In the past I could send a kit of the size of an Orange series aircraft kit for say € 8, today things may be very different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

*I don’t count that fleabay site. I avoid it.

In my area the chances of pot-luck on models at Charity Shops / Model Shows / Boot Sales etc bringing to light models on my "to built" list is very low so said auction site is on of the few options for me. I tend not to do auctions but rather "buy it now" from established sellers.

Hopefully this

Capture

is on its way to me as my (first?) entry in the GB. These have been going for silly prices but the market now seems to have settled at a cost that would be close to any future Revell reissue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

My Heyford lust is passing. I can’t find one for sale anywhere*, so my search must wait for another time.

I can get hold of another one, but on average they'll go for around 40-50€ nowadays. 

23 hours ago, rossm said:

Some things which may help........ https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/category/1-72nd?page=2

My u/c and cockpit are on the way and I've already got the engine/prop set and the tail surfaces.

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Ray

Definitely under 25% in my opinion,  delighted that this GB offers you the opportunity to finish it 👍 

Cheers Pat 

@rossm, I have had my eye on them for quite a while, I may still go down that route. Thanks for flagging them though!

@JOCKNEY, thanks for confirming that for me.

I am looking forward to this,

Ray

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I can get hold of another one, but on average they'll go for around 40-50€ nowadays. 

They regularly appear on the Veteranus Facebook auctions page. The last one 2 weeks ago went for £13 + postage. The one before it in September went for £17 plus postage.

2 hours ago, TimJ said:

@JOCKNEY can I have a judgement call on whether my Lancaster is under 25%. The wings, nacelles, tailplanes and wheels have been assembled as well as some interior work.

51729048534_0d3f07eac7_c.jpgDSCF2855 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51728397696_691a97df20_c.jpgDSCF2854 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Hi Tim

I'm happy that you still have an awful lot of work to do to complete this one so unless anyone objects, it a yes from me and I'm delightedly to see a Lancaster in the GB.

If my recent Stirling and B-17 are anything to go by, the fun really starts when trying to close the fuselage up without turrets falling out etc, and they are to be free turning,  so no cheating by gluing them in position will be tolerated ! :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

so no cheating by gluing them in position will be tolerated ! :wink:

I’d better not show you my 95% completed Matchbox Wimpy then Pat!! 

Thanks for allowing @TimJ the permission to add this Lancaster to our GB, which now means we have at least one kit nominated for the entire Brown Series Aircraft range. Thats a wonderful achievement and I’m sure we can possible get very close to some other ranges as this GB morphs into the large beast it will no doubt become. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Well here's what's left of my first attempt at the matchbox tigger it went belly up when I tried to mate the upper and lower wings I think I had half a dozen goes and it's still sitting there so if I leave it out where I can see it I might get fed up with looking at it I will finish it off. spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone fancy doing a GB signature for this one ?

I can't remember if we had one last time :shrug:

The one I'm currently using is years out of date, so really appreciate any assistance with having a new one specifically for this GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Does anyone fancy doing a GB signature for this one ?

I can't remember if we had one last time :shrug:

The one I'm currently using is years out of date, so really appreciate any assistance with having a new one specifically for this GB.

cheers Pat

Let me see what I can cobble together for your approval Pat. May take a day or two. Have a nasty head cold at the moment so I'm squinting to see the monitor.

• Thanks 2

Received some more Matchbox goodies through the post today, one winging it's way from Austria. I'll post some photos later.

.....But crikey! Why have I only just noticed that the GB runs for six months! That's a game changer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Picked up my evilbay purchase last Friday.  I specifically hunted down the boxing with the blue and yellow/orange plastic just to make it feel am building something different form the green and grey Sisken I had started a few years ago;

spacer.png

I too had not noticed the GB runs six months, but that is good to know.

regards,

Jack

• Like 9