Jump to content

Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB (8 Jan - 5 June 2022)


Recommended Posts

Thanks Dave.

 

Yes, the Puma is a nice kit and I have built it once before - in the Seventies! Out of the others in my list, I have built only the Lysander. I have been planning to build the Lysander along with a Frog and an Airfix one in my stash so that may well not get built in this GB. Out of the remaining three, I doubt if the Corsair will be built so the A-10 does have a 50-50 chance but I guess we will have to wait and see...

 

Dave

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, davecov said:

so the A-10 does have a 50-50 chance but I guess we will have to wait and see..

 

I’ll take those odds Dave…so go the A-10! 

Now I’ve been trying to source a (well priced) 1/72 Matchbox Lysander for ages but this kit seems to always elude me. I do however have the much larger PK-504 1/32 scale kit and that will be my first victim for this GB. This large scale is completely foreign to me, however I think its about time I gave it some bench time and take it out of its misery and original 1978 box. 

Cheers..Dave 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

... Now I’ve been trying to source a (well priced) 1/72 Matchbox Lysander for ages but this kit seems to always elude me. I do however have the much larger PK-504 1/32 scale kit ...

 

Yes the 1:72 Lysander (and almost all Matchbox Kits these days) are "well priced" (I think you might have meant to write "reasonably priced" which seems impossible these days).  In fact you'll probably find the 1:72 version will be more expensive than the 1:32 version! 

 

To me this latest Auction really takes the Cake (and Ice Cream and Strawberrys and ...) illustrating the point :

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-72-MATCHBOX-PK-29-Douglas-A-4M-N-Skyhawk-/224692116426?hash=item3450b19bca%3Ag%3Au9EAAOSw56RhkH2m&nma=true&si=nIozbJcWOVuyO4RvAStloQj%2FJGA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

To me this latest Auction really takes the Cake (and Ice Cream and Strawberrys and ...) illustrating the point :

 

I’ve seen some insanely stupid things on eBay, however that Matchbox Skyhawk is probably the best! 

Now Rob, you don’t need me to tell you that you are sitting on an absolute fortune and makes my latest purchase (Tamiya 1/32 P-51D for $60 Aussie / GBP30) look even more like the biggest steal of 2021.

 

Cheers.. Dave 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at a Toy Car Fair on Wednesday evening helping a couple of club mates on their selling table

Another seller had two Matchbox kits for sale. The Skyhawk and Strikemaster. Each was £35. Neither was in the first type of box, not the black boxes either but one of the middling common boxes

The seller was very 'protective', he wouldn't allow me to lift the boxes let alone check if the kits were complete.

By contrast my club mates were selling similar sized kits, but not Matchbox ones, for £3 and £4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Yes the 1:72 Lysander (and almost all Matchbox Kits these days) are "well priced" (I think you might have meant to write "reasonably priced" which seems impossible these days).  In fact you'll probably find the 1:72 version will be more expensive than the 1:32 version! 

 

To me this latest Auction really takes the Cake (and Ice Cream and Strawberrys and ...) illustrating the point :

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-72-MATCHBOX-PK-29-Douglas-A-4M-N-Skyhawk-/224692116426?hash=item3450b19bca%3Ag%3Au9EAAOSw56RhkH2m&nma=true&si=nIozbJcWOVuyO4RvAStloQj%2FJGA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Sadly such ridiculous prices are becoming more commonplace lately. Seems strange that a far newer and more modern kit can be bought for a fraction of the price the Matchbox ones are going for but nostalgia clearly doesn't come cheap any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, davecov said:

@JOCKNEY Put me down for this GB please, Pat.

 

I have just bought the Matchbox 1/76 Sd.Kfz 234 Puma Armoured Car (PK-76) especially for this GB and hope to build at least one of the following kits as well:

Matchbox 1/72 B.A.C. 'S' Jaguar (PK-102)
Matchbox 1/72 Fairchild A-10A (PK-121)
Matchbox 1/72 LTV A-7D Corsair II (PK-101)
Matchbox 1/72 Westland Lysander MkI/II (PK-7)

 

Dave

 

Hi Dave

 

Welcome to the GB,  you are in at #89.

Great choices, I built the A-10 as a nipper,  and seem to remember it being much bigger than I expected. 

Good luck

 

Cheers Pat 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice choice @zebra The Privateer is a popular choice and could very well become ‘The Tempest’ of this GB. With so many Gallery threads on offer, perhaps we can make one exclusively for this kit!! 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right, have found a work around to enter a Siskin.  Solution was just ordered a new one from evilbay.   With everything I want to add to it, I'm already certain it won't finish in the allotted time frame, so will likely end up as a partner to the current shelf queen.  Oh the madness...

 

regards,

Jack

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Just arrived today.

Can’t have a tank transporter with out a tank, so I’ll see what I can find.


Nice haul JB and I think an extra armour model would seem most appropriate in this case. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JackG said:

Right, have found a work around to enter a Siskin.  Solution was just ordered a new one from evilbay.   With everything I want to add to it, I'm already certain it won't finish in the allotted time frame, so will likely end up as a partner to the current shelf queen.  Oh the madness...

 

regards,

Jack


C’mom Jack, let’s talk this little Siskin up a little. I’m sure you’ll get it finished and displayed in the GB Gallery. No doubt Pat and I will help keep you motivated (and mildly entertained I if you have a bad sense of humour)!! 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...