Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Your Dad has good taste, they are two Matchbox classics so either (or both) would be most welcomed here. I’ve also noticed we seem to have attracted quite a few ‘Dave’s’ for this GB too… not that I mind, being one of the brethren myself! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Is there a collective noun for a group of "Dave's" ?

To get this one going, I offer a "calamity" of Dave's  :wink:

cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

Just taken a quick look at the loft insulation stash; without digging too deep I can see a Hayford (might have started that), a couple of Siskins, and a Meteor all Matchbox boxings in 1/72.   Pretty sure there are a couple of Wellesleys (Matchbox 1/72) and a Sea Venom (Revell boxing, 1/32) within reach.

Recent experience has taught me not to rely on Matchbox vintage decals still being usable, so, my choice may come down to what AM decals I can find.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

Recent experience has taught me not to rely on Matchbox vintage decals still being usable

Very often the case, although I’ve had some luck in the past as well. Now I’ve got three sheets of original Matchbox decals for my 1/32 Lysander, however it would appear that in a previous life they’ve been exposed to moisture and are totally unusable. I’d say that Revell boxing of the Sea Venom would be a stand-out Robert, those decals should be excellent quality. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what an otter colony is, or even if two otters is enough to constitute a colony, but I'm going for an otter double build

One literally out of the box to show off the multi coloured sprues and one with AM decals and allegedly built to my current higher standard. Don't hold me to the higher standard bit though 🤭😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I'm not sure what an otter colony is, or even if two otters is enough to constitute a colony, but I'm going for an otter double build

One literally out of the box to show off the multi coloured sprues and one with AM decals and allegedly built to my current higher standard. Don't hold me to the higher standard bit though 🤭😁

According to the interweb, a group of Otters is called a Romp, now that’s something I didn’t know! 

In aviation circles, the DHC-6 is always called a ‘Twotter’, being the multi engined derivative of the DHC-3 single engined Otter. 

Now what two Twotters are called is anyone’s guess - although I think I’d better stop know as this chatter is getting a little risqué! 

Good luck with both your builds and I’m sure your skills have improved since these kits first appeared on the hobby shop shelves way back in the mid-80’s. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

I'm in full on Dither Mode as to what my contributions are going to be. The time available looks luxurious at the moment, but we all know how that works once the GB is underway.

Contenders off the top of my head are as follows:

The 1.16 scale '57 Chevy rag top.

Originally by AMT but issued in the UK in a Matchbox box. This one got red carded for the last Matchbox GB as it wasn't an original Matchbox kit. A change of heart from the Ref has allowed this one back on the pitch. Hurrah, or should that be YeeHaaa?

A 1.16 scale Ford Thunderbird might join the Chevy if it's lucky. Same AMT source, Matchbox issue kit.

Going with the car flow see's a '55 Chevy Nomad and a C2 Corvette Stingray along with a couple of early fifties Chevys, a fastback sedan and another ragtop. All Matchbox versions of AMT kits. 

Aircraft wise, a Walrus and a Heyford are likely lads and the lure of the diorama AFVs is strong.

I'm trying hard (and failing) to keep things achievable as I intend to completely loose the plot for the Revell/Monogram GB a bit later. One way or another, I'm in for a busy modelling year.

Bring it on!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Is there a collective noun for a group of "Dave's" ?

To get this one going, I offer a "calamity" of Dave's  :wink:

cheers Pat 

Maybe it would be if they were ordinary Daves , but these are the much better quality modelling Daves and so should be a sprue of Daves

• Haha 3

For me it will be a Beaufighter, the one diving in dropping a torpedo. I was building one of these about 40 years ago, on the kitchen table. Some relatives came to visit, and their youngest came up to the table, and then without warning swished everything off! Half of it ended up under the cooker, never to be seen again.

I'll have to get busy tracking one down. It has to be an original, the box with a little window on the back. If anyone has one going, let me know.

It will be a 3-in-1 in GB terms - Matchbox through and through, but also something that got away (literally), and something out of my comfort zone (it has wings).

Edited by Ned
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Recent experience has taught me not to rely on Matchbox vintage decals still being usable, so, my choice may come down to what AM decals I can find.

I've been quite lucky with old Matchbox decals myself, but my experience may not apply to everyone.  There's a company called APC Decals who make reproductions of Matchbox and FROG sheets.  They sell through a Czech retailer, hobbyshop.cz.  I think someone on this site may have mentioned them before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

-

Deleted the post wasn’t right stretching the forum rules. Anyway new question, what’s the rules on conversions? Was thinking of doing a p-40 one but got confused with the parts I have (thought the Hasegawa parts were like the academy kit), but others might be interested. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 17/11/2021 at 20:34, Ned said:

For me it will be a Beaufighter, the one diving in dropping a torpedo. I was building one of these about 40 years ago, on the kitchen table. Some relatives came to visit, and their youngest came up to the table, and then without warning swished everything off! Half of it ended up under the cooker, never to be seen again.

I'll have to get busy tracking one down. It has to be an original, the box with a little window on the back. If anyone has one going, let me know.

It will be a 3-in-1 in GB terms - Matchbox through and through, but also something that got away (literally), and something out of my comfort zone (it has wings).

A purchase has been made!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ned said:

A purchase has been made!

I’m sure we will hear that more than once as this GB progresses! It’ll only take someone to build something I take a liking too and off in search of said kit I go! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Decision made.  The first two kits from the three-color series.  PK-101 A-7 Corsair and PK-102 Sepecat Jaguar.

These will be built semi Old Skool.  No attempt to add detail in cockpits etc.  No attempt to reduce the trench seized panel lines.   However, I will be filling and sanding any joint lines as well as spraying them using my current techniques.  I will be using the kit markings schemes, but maybe using modern decals depending on the state of the kit decal sheets.

If these go well, I reserve the right to chuck in some extra builds.  :D 

• Like 4

Nice choices @Enzo Matrix and seeing as if you’re going down the sequential path with PK-101 and 102, might I add that the next two in numerical order would be PK-103 Bristol Beaufighter and PK-104 Curtiss Helldiver. You are most welcome to add those two as well! 

Cheers and nice to have you aboard.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Without looking at re-boxes I have

PK-1 Hawker Fury 1

PK-84 Stuart M3/A1 ‘Honey’

PK-105 Supermarine Walrus Mk II

PK-114 BAC Lightning F.6

PK-125 UC-64 Noorduyn Norseman

PK-402 Wellington Mk.X

PK-551 Handley Page Victor B2R

40079 M24 Chaffee

40089 M-7 HMC 105mm “Priest”

40180 Sturmgeschütz IV

Are AFVs allowed?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ratch said:

40180 Sturmgeschütz IV

Isn’t that one a Jadgpanzer IV L70?  

Edit

Sorry didn’t look at the number.  PK-87 is the JpIV L70. 

40180 sounds like a Revell number. Must have a look for it on Scalemates. 

Edit again

Ah!  Found it. It’s a Revell 1:72 (and not 1:76) ring in.  But ... it’s in a “Matchbox” Box (well sort of!). 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

Couple general questions:

- does the kit have to be built straight out of the box, or can it include scratch built details?

- if the above is accepted, how is the 'under 25% completed rule' calculated?

regards,

Jack

8 hours ago, JackG said:

- does the kit have to be built straight out of the box, or can it include scratch built details?

No, we allow all types of modifications / enhancements so fill your boots Jack. 

Ideally the basic airframe / shell of the model will be core Matchbox, but you can graft parts from other areas as you desire. 

AM decals may also come in handy should the 30-50 year old kit options be unusable (like my 1/32 Lysander 😞). 

8 hours ago, JackG said:

- if the above is accepted, how is the 'under 25% completed rule' calculated?

Very loosely I'd have to say, although we'd like to think that member honesty plays a part. I would say an aircraft model which already has fuselage and wings connected is over the 25% rule, even though you may still have more than 75% modelling time left to throw into it. One other measure is how many parts you have cemented in place, so a 100 part kit would be over this ruling if more than 25 parts have been glued together. As I said, its a bit of a rough guide so the best thing would be to contact Pat @JOCKNEY and I via PM, include a photograph of what you've done and we'll discuss it over a Beer and / or Scotch ... don't worry, we are nice chaps! 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1