Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

On 17/11/2021 at 20:17, jackroadkill said:

I'm trying hard not to buy a couple of vintage Matchbox kits that I build as a young 'un.  However, if I'm unsuccessful.....

Well, I've failed to fail or something.  However you look at it, I've just ordered a Matchbox Meteor NF11/12/14, so you'd better sign me up for the GB...  Kingkit, you have a lot to answer for!

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to have you with us Martin, place wouldn't be the same without you :like:

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

Modesty forbids me to mention how right you are. 😁

Possible builds: 

Bf110D

A-20G

Wellington

So there's some options to be going on with.

Regards

Martin

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I think that between us we must be close to clearing kingkit out of matchbox. Surprised they're not sponsoring the GB!

Kingkit are supporting my addiction for the Monogram Classic GB... :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear.    Having chosen the Matchbox Jaguar as one of my choices, I realised that Matchbox did another Jaguar.

Just won this on evilbay...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-304-jaguar-ss-100--146989  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/9/2021 at 10:03 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Please note all reboxings of Matchbox kits are naturally included.

OK.  I can swing that...I'll have to check Scalemates of course to be sure.

Finally get around to building that Heyford...

...and it seems I have an Alpha Jet, a Siskin M.IIIa and god only knows what else lurking about.  This could be a busy GB for me.  The Siskin Mk.IIIa will be part of my 19 Sq. thread and I will have to paint the markings...😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

OK.  I can swing that...I'll have to check Scalemates of course to be sure.

Finally get around to building that Heyford...

...and it seems I have an Alpha Jet, a Siskin M.IIIa and god only knows what else lurking about.  This could be a busy GB for me.  The Siskin Mk.IIIa will be part of my 19 Sq. thread and I will have to paint the markings...😃

Could you not adapt the 19 Sqn decals from the latest issue of the Airfix Bulldog ?

I'm thinking about this... with mixed feelings: I took part in the previous Matchbox GB and the Gnat I built was not much fun. Still as many others here I started with matchbox kits (bought from one of those seaside town shops where others also bought their models), so I probably should build something here to celebrate those kits that led me into the hobby around 40 years ago.

Not that I lack Matchbox kits in the stast, I have several: Lightning, Mirage, Sea Harrier, Me.410, Phantom, Tomcat etc, and then a few that I got as part of a lot, all without canopy and decals. For some of these I may use spares from other kits I have (Spitfire, Mustang, F-16) so I may add a few more.

Now I'll decide on something when closer to the start of the GB, for the moment I'm thinking of one of these:

Sea Harrier, with some simple improvements (intakes, scribe the wheel well doors, maybe a new seat, decals from the stash)

Hs.125-600, just rescribing a few panel lines and with Irish Air Corps markings from Max Decals

Hs-126, in a Revell box, to which I'd just add some cockpit detail

Or I may build the Me.410 with a completely rebuilt cockpit....

All kits to which I'd add something, that I understand is acceptable.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rs2man said:

Could you not adapt the 19 Sqn decals from the latest issue of the Airfix Bulldog ?

I have already built the Bulldog and have used those decals from the box.  Plus, I am looking forward to pulling my hair out in frustration to all the masking and airbrushing.  😆

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2021 at 21:27, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m sure we will hear that more than once as this GB progresses! It’ll only take someone to build something I take a liking too and off in search of said kit I go! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

It's here! I was expecting it to be bigger, too many 1/48 kits have clouded my memory. 

£20 from eBay, but it is complete, untouched, and the decals look usable. I'm going to enjoy this from start to finish.

G3ywITplcQ4TUSsqYE7o43VfyUCxPi6fCRNPa7k9

• Like 4

That’s just gorgeous @Ned. There’s really something incredibly attractive about Roy Huxley’s artwork and any child (even those of us in their 50’s) would be hard pressed not to want to open their wallet (or phone) and buy that kit. Lovely purchase and we really look forward to seeing this kit built. I’m sure I’ve got spare decals lying around should you have any issues with yours… just sing out if you need them.

Cheers.. Dave 

Glad to see you again @Giorgio N and I do fondly remember your great Gnat build. I hear what your saying about Matchbox kits, however they bring back so much nostalgia, which I find hard to resist. With time and effort they can also build up to be quite presentable even by today’s standards so that opens up many more possibilities for everyone’s tastes. I look forward to seeing which kit(s) you eventually build. 
Cheers and good luck.. Dave. 

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB (8 Jan - 5 June 2022)

I'd like to come in with my Twotter please but I don't have the instructions as it was part of a job lot of dodgy kits on fleabay. Luckily it looks like all the parts are there.

Can anyone help with a scan of the instructions please?

If not I'll do a Wanted post.

If I find the time to take part, my stash can offer only two Matchbox kits. I recently built my Revbox Walrus in the High Wing GB, so that leaves the Stranraer and Heinkel He115.

I think the Strannie must remain on the shelf for a while longer, so the Heinkel seems most likely. I’ve got some aftermarket parts, including a beaching trolley kit, so it might be an interesting build.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

This GB is having a bad influence on people already with additional unnecessary purchases being made already !

Something you would never find your hosts doing this....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-101-a-7d-corsair-ii--130159

For £9 including postage ! :cheers:

Nice get Pat. The Matchbox A-7 was the very first kit I built up all on my own and boy did I make a right old mess of that! I’ve still got a zillion of those little black bombs sitting in my spares box that always take me back to my 9 year old childhood whenever I sift through it. Looking forward to you painting all those small yellow bands of each of those tiny bombs Pat!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

This is going to be a biggie, but plenty of room for more, so please spread the word.

If everyone completes their build, this will definitely break the forum!   Again. :lol:   It might be worth considering ahead of time how you want to manage the poll(s). 

• Thanks 2