Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

9 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I’m really enjoying your Beaufort build, whilst trying to deal with the jealousy of the fact you have managed to bag 2 already and just to rub it in, on the cheap !

I’m sure these Beaufort kits will arrive in Scotland a lot sooner than I’ll find a Matchbox Privateer at my LHS! 

You’ve got me thinking about a possible Matchbox GB build already, did Enzo set up any dates as yet? 

• Like 1

The first Matchbox car I built was the Jaguar SS100. I didn't make such a great job of it, so in an effort to rectify that I have splashed out on another kit ready for the GB. 

I am looking forward to this starting next year. I  am sure that with a couple of 'raving' lunatics :winkgrin: in charge of the asylum again, it will be a lot of fun. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Not as yet.  I feel that both Classic GBs for 2022 will be very popular so I need to give this some thought. 

Might be nice to tie it in with some official Matchbox 1972 starting date, although I’m not sure what this is... yours truly was only two at the time! 

Cheers and thanks for pushing this one through mate.. Dave 

• Like 2

With this and the Classic Revell-o-gram GB both set for 2022  looks as if the world cruise might have to be postponed. I don't think BM GB's are a valid reason for cancellation under travel insurance.

• Haha 2

That was so quick, I didn't even spot the thread until it had already made the cut! I am obviously in one this, not that my vote is needed. I have c. 40 eligible Matchbox kits in the stash, including Revell re-boxes. The Stranraer, Privateer, Heyford, Wellington, Wellesley, Meteor, Norseman, He 70/170 and Wessex are probably the picks of the bunch, along with a few of the 1/76 AFV kits.

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

Most excellent @klr, there’s plenty of gems among that lot so it should be a real hoot once we get there. You know you can build more than one! 

Cheers and warm welcome.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, klr said:

That was so quick, I didn't even spot the thread until it had already made the cut! I am obviously in one this, not that my vote is needed. I have c. 40 eligible Matchbox kits in the stash, including Revell re-boxes. The Stranraer, Privateer, Heyford, Wellington, Wellesley, Meteor, Norseman, He 70/170 and Wessex are probably the picks of the bunch, along with a few of the 1/76 AFV kits.

Hi @Enzo Matrix

Punch line required at your convenience. 

Cheers Pat 

PS Great to have you with us @klr:like:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/03/2021 at 21:25, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Pat... you’ve just accepted my esteemed services within the fast expiring deadline. OMG, what have I just done! 

mmmm... equivalent to the Rita, well Matchbox’s elusive Privateer would appear to look similar and I’m sure it’ll look smashing painted ‘Orange’!! 

We’ll have to see what we’ve both got. Whilst in my recent BM hibernation, I’ve been toying away with a Matchbox Wellington so the Matchbox juices are running slightly high at the moment, although a certain Airfix naughty new tool has taken over the work bench! 

Cheers.. Dave 

That's good news - so we'll get a sparkling Build List with stats as well as the expected twice daily prod for progress??!! Put me down for this one please gents, kit TBC (like everyone else, I started buying more Matchbox kits than I actually could build for the last Matchbox Classic GB).

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depending when this happens, I could join in.

I'm sure I have a couple of Siskins and a similar number of Furys in the stash (Matchbox boxings, various colour mixes for both) - or, if I'm feeling brave, I have a Venom/Sea Venom (Revell boxing, in white IIRC).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

... so we'll get a sparkling Build List with stats as well as the expected twice daily prod for progress??!

Chances are yes Mike, however we’ll have to see how things go closer to the event. I also believe Pat has since signed up for Jousting lessons, so his usual ‘prod’ is less pleasant and reaches much much further! 

Glad you’re onboard.. it should be another hoot!

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Matchbox! ❤️ How beautiful thy name! And as it happens I have more than a couple of them. In fact I could spend the whole of 2022 building Matchbox kits.

Can I please join? But I haven't decided which kit(s) it will be, that will be a last minute decision if that's alright? Please? 😇

Many thanks in advance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Desk Flyer said:

Can I please join?

Of course you can and to be honest anyone can join in by starting a Work in Progress (WIP) thread within the GB time period.  Now exact dates have not been finalised yet, however as a Classic GB, it’ll probably run for its usual four months or so. 

So a question to all you Matchbox lovers.. Does anyone know what date / month the first Matchbox kits were announced / hit the shelves etc? As this is an anniversary GB, it would be nice to time it for somewhere close to when this happened. I’m wondering if an old 1972 modelling magazine might come in handy here? 

Cheers and welcome.. Dave 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

matchboxkits.org and their 1972-(73) first issue of 19 kits here:

Thanks V.P, as with all Matchbox loving modellers, I frequent this site often. I’m sure we can find some kind of date, perhaps good old Wiki might even help? 

Cheers.. Dave

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So a question to all you Matchbox lovers.. Does anyone know what date / month the first Matchbox kits were announced / hit the shelves etc? As this is an anniversary GB, it would be nice to time it for somewhere close to when this happened. I’m wondering if an old 1972 modelling magazine might come in handy here? 

To paraphrase the dear departed Murray Walker I could be completely mistaken but I thought that the plastic kits side of Matchbox was given the go ahead in 1972 but that the first kits didn’t appear until 1973. 

I’m away from my Airfix Magazines but pretty sure the announcement and a photo of completed unpainted kits was in Airfix Magazine so someone should be able to find that. The thing is the Magazine was available the month before it’s Cover date in the UK and four months  after here in Australia. So make of that what you will when determining a start date!  

P.S.  Now I know why Dave wants a Matchbox Havoc!  

Edited by Rob S

8 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

For anyone interested, back in 2007 we did a “Maurice Landi Tribute Build” on the Unofficial Airfix Forum, which we turned into a book:

1vj5wdy-front-shortedge-384.jpg

http://www.lulu.com/content/1106812

best,

M.

That looks like an interesting book. I’ve seen Mike’s beautiful Wellesley before, can you share any other model images? 

Cheers.. Dave 

22 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That looks like an interesting book. I’ve seen Mike’s beautiful Wellesley before, can you share any other model images? 

Cheers.. Dave 

This is the old Forum site:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gregersfr/matchbox-gb-gallery-t4053.html

I suspect quite a few of the pictures may have been lost in the past 14??? years but some of them are still there...

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Ha!! among a few others! 
Now by suggesting 1972, I’m only going by what I’ve seen on the first edition Purple Series range kits with lid opening box. These are captioned with a 1972 trademark, so that’s what I was going on. Finding and old Airfix magazine might help us get a little closer to the start date. 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Finding and old Airfix magazine might help us get a little closer to the start date. 

I’ll see if I can find the particular issue tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Rob S said:

To paraphrase the dear departed Murray Walker I could be completely mistaken but I thought that the plastic kits side of Matchbox was given the go ahead in 1972 but that the first kits didn’t appear until 1973. 

I’m away from my Airfix Magazines but pretty sure the announcement and a photo of completed unpainted kits was in Airfix Magazine so someone should be able to find that. The thing is the Magazine was available the month before it’s Cover date in the UK and four months  after here in Australia. So make of that what you will when determining a start date!  

Hi Rob

I hope you are well

Can I add you to our growing list of participants  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1