Matchbox the 50th Anniversary GB Chat

4 minutes ago, Rob S said:

In Airfix Magazine I found the following

(Not much actually as it seems there must have been an Editorial edict to not give Matchbox any or at the very least reluctant coverage and certainly any comments about the kits were very disparaging. ) 

Having checked through the reviews in every 1973 issue of Airfix Magazine and found no coverage of Matchbox kits, I was thinking exactly the same. I remember, but can't now find, a sneer that although Matchbox kits were moulded in two colours "that will be of little consequence to readers of this magazine, so won't be mentioned again". There was also a reader's letter some years later taking issue with what the author saw as AM's carping review of Matchbox kits, specifically the M-40 SP gun. The reviewer had said, among other criticisms, that the display base was too small for the completed model to fit on it comfortably. The correspondent pointed out that at least Matchbox provided a good quality scenic base with every kit, which was more than Airfix did, and how about Airfix correcting some of the glaring errors in their own products such as the German armoured car? 

Considering how poorly ancient Airfix kits like the Spitfire IX and Gladiator that were duplicated in the initial batch of Matchbox releases compared with their new competitors, it wouldn't be surprising if AM elected to give the latter as little publicity as possible. We were still in the days when there was a huge schoolboy market (me!) who as often as not bought their pocket money kits either in their local newsagent or in Woolworths. In 1973, our newsagent stocked a big range of Airfix kits and no others, as I think did Woolworths. I know I bought the Matchbox Spitfire when it came out but I don't remember where from.

26 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

In that same issue, a Badger airbrush is priced at £19.25 and a compressor at £38.15. The average weekly wage in 1974 was £41.70, apparently, so the cost of the two items works out at 137% of that. Average weekly earnings before tax today are £571, so on the same basis a comparable airbrush and compressor would cost £782.

Finally!  Someone who understands!  the real way to compare prices ! 😎

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I flicked through the March 1973 Airfix Magazine but couldn’t see anything obvious.  Must have another look through it to see what he is referring to. 

It's a toy fair report by Bruce Quarrie on Page 395 and it turns out to be the source of that sneering comment I mentioned.

"Lesney, the 'Matchbox' people, have branched out into the plastic construction kit field with an initial range of ten 1/72 scale aircraft retailing at 23p each. These models are obviously designed with the younger modeller in mind and are moulded in two-colour polystyrene which, the makers claim, obviates the need for painting! Serious modellers will of course ignore this - who wants a Spitfire with green fuselage and brown wings? However, anyone providing the plastic modelling field withextra variety is to be welcomed, and these Lesney hits could well be turned into first class models with a little work. First ten releases are a Hawker Fury, Spitfire IX, Boeing P12E (our favourite), Zero, Dornier Alpha, Fw 190, Westland Lysander, Gloster Gladiator, Huey Cobra and a Strikemaster. Decals for two different aircraft are provided in each kt."

Deviation off topic.

In about 1973-74-75 I was earning £22.50 a week as a 'junior' officer in the RAF. Less stoppages for Mess bills, laundry etc I was left with about £2.50 to £3.00 per week. I was slightly better off than a mate who was an apprentice at H&W shipyard. His gross pay was about £16.50 per week. After taxes, rent etc he had about £1.50 to £2 per week left. A pint was about 15p to 20p in Belfast. My sister who was a qualified nurse was bringing home about £15 to £20 per week, but she worked every hour she could to earn that, plus take some living expenses from that

An Airfix Series 1 kit was 25p and a Matchbox kit of similar size was 30p. Equivalent Frog kits were 20p to 25p and Revell kits were about 25p to 35p

PS. 

If we have this GB at the end of next year then it will be not too far off the celebrating of the launching of Matchbox kits

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

PS. 

If we have this GB at the end of next year then it will be not too far off the celebrating of the launching of Matchbox kits

Great idea.  A GB straddling 2022 and 2023 would cover both Manufacturing Date and Distribution / Availability 50th Anniversaries. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Great idea.  A GB straddling 2022 and 2023 would cover both Manufacturing Date and Distribution / Availability 50th Anniversaries. 

Indeed. I wish the Revel-O-Gram GB would then take place early in 2022. Let´s see how Pat's Japanese GB fares in the Bunfight, we could then have back-to-back three Classics :yahoo:

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, vppelt68 said:

The Big One from Boeing :yahoo: The Kit I Did Not Build As A Kid, the one that got away! Aftermarket decals because I try to concentrate on one Bomb Group (381st from Ridgewell). V-P

2020-06-04_05-41-56

This one was one of many hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom. Bought with the proceeds from the paper round. Ah the memories....

• Like 3

Count me in!

I've recently completed the only Matchbox kit I had in my stash. The Helldiver was something I made a bit of hash of as a kid and when I spotted it for £4 in a local shop, I snapped it up.

y4mftu6ZDEZl3dg4QEAYvmUSQHPz5eXSXIEYpGJ1

Some aftermarket decals from Starfighter and some rigging and she's come together ok. I'd forgotten the 3 tone plastic she comes in! 

• Like 8

On 18/03/2021 at 07:39, vppelt68 said:

Indeed. I wish the Revel-O-Gram GB would then take place early in 2022. Let´s see how Pat's Japanese GB fares in the Bunfight, we could then have back-to-back three Classics :yahoo:

Plus the Italian Job GB and the Frog Squad II GB..... :frantic:

Another Airfix Golden Years GB  anyone ? :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Plus the Italian Job GB and the Frog Squad II GB..... :frantic:

Another Airfix Golden Years anyone ? :wink:

Cheers Pat

:doh: I had already forgotten the Italian job - for good reasons too (perennial inaccuracy, bad fit). Although I have never built the Italeri Ju 88 :hmmm:

• Like 1

I've got a Matchbox Victor that's been waiting for just this opportunity. Count me in.

I'll track a Phantom down before the kick off.

If the criteria could be opened up a bit to allow the AMT Matchbox kits, things could get very interesting.

I think I'm right in saying that Matchbox became AMT's owner in 1979. 

Tony.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

Count me in. I have every single Matchbox kit to choose from, so I'm sure I can contribute one or two to the 50th Anniversary built.

Comments like that deserve a Stash Photo!! 

At your leisure, please send one through so that the rest of us mere mortal Matchbox collectors can drool. 

Cheers and welcome abroad... Dave 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just got a hold of a Matchbox A-20 Havoc and Helldiver Bi-plane so I have my builds set up. I also have a Matchbox Brewster Buffalo in the stash. 

I've been after a Havoc for a good while, having stupidly let go of (what I should say) was a really good Chinese copy with excellent boxart and decals. I'm sure another one will turn up soon enough.

Now only yesterday, the kind postie delivered me a nice edition of the Matchbox's Grumman F9F-5 Panther, which I hope to build up as a folded wing Blue Angles kite. I reckon this could get built prior to the GB kicking off though! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Comments like that deserve a Stash Photo!! 

At your leisure, please send one through so that the rest of us mere mortal Matchbox collectors can drool. 

Cheers and welcome abroad... Dave 

Blimey, I'm going to need to hire the local village hall to get them all in one shot! The collection also includes 2/3rds of the later Matchbox Revell kits too. 50+ built kits too, plus another 20+ part started that need finishing. Always happy to build a few more, though.

The Havoc seems to go for quite a bit of money (for a Matchbox kit). The later Matchbox /Revell version has some nice D-Day invasion stripe decals, if you can get one at a good price.

Mike

Edited by Mike Dean
  • Like 1

Please count me in! I've missed all the previous Matchbox GBs, so I don't want to miss this one. Got a fair few Matchbox kits to choose from, but I think I would open with the B-26 Marauder. My first Matchbox Marauder was purchased in 1985 from the middle of an old runway of an ex B-26 Marauder base. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

Blimey, I'm going to need to hire the local village hall to get them all in one shot! The collection also includes 2/3rds of the later Matchbox Revell kits too. 50+ built kits too, plus another 20+ part started that need finishing. Always happy to build a few more, though.

The Havoc seems to go for quite a bit of money (for a Matchbox kit). The later Matchbox /Revell version has some nice D-Day invasion stripe decals, if you can get one at a good price.

Mike

That's fine Mike... sounds like you've got a few kits to keep you going. Thanks for the tip on the Revell Boxing Havoc, I'll look out for one of those too.  

8 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Please count me in! I've missed all the previous Matchbox GBs, so I don't want to miss this one. Got a fair few Matchbox kits to choose from, but I think I would open with the B-26 Marauder. My first Matchbox Marauder was purchased in 1985 from the middle of an old runway of an ex B-26 Marauder base. 

Excellent Steve, great to have you on board. I've not personally seen Matchbox's B-26, however the images online do look quite good.

We'll get Pat @JOCKNEY to put both your names on the list. 

Cheers.. Dave 

28 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've been after a Havoc for a good while, having stupidly let go of (what I should say) was a really good Chinese copy with excellent boxart and decals. I'm sure another one will turn up soon enough.

Now only yesterday, the kind postie delivered me a nice edition of the Matchbox's Grumman F9F-5 Panther, which I hope to build up as a folded wing Blue Angles kite. I reckon this could get built prior to the GB kicking off though! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Id offer you mine but its missing the box and been bagged up by the seller, also the instruction’s are photocopies. I wouldn't mind finding a Panther though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id offer you mine.. 

That's fine Dennis, when it comes to modelling my eyes are bigger than my belly so I should stop wanting everything I see. 

From what I can tell, the Panther, should be fairly simple to find, however (if i'm correct) is the only F9F-5 in 1/72 ever kitted. 

Cheers.. Dave  

9 hours ago, Mike Dean said:

Count me in. I have every single Matchbox kit to choose from, so I'm sure I can contribute one or two to the 50th Anniversary built.

I suspect it's against the law to not have Matchbox Mike in a Matchbox Group Build. 

I second Daves request for pictures. A couple of teasers would be nice. 

Tony.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Pat @JOCKNEY, you've missed me off the list mate!

Truth be told Pat saw you missed me off your list the other day and wanted to see if you were going to wave your hands in the air like I did to get noticed. 

• Sad 1