Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

On 17/11/2021 at 08:39, Rabbit Leader said:

Well seeing that ‘yours truly’ built just two Frog kits whilst adding an additional twenty during the time period that the last Frog GB ran, I’m hoping that this has an automatic slot for 2023. On second thought’s what happened to the Classic ‘Italian’ manufactures kit GB proposal? Is it no surprise that I also have a few old but still quite serviceable italeri kits and am just searching the interweb now for a Fairchild C-119 for some bizarre reason? 

Cheers.. (the old kit hoarder) Dave. 

I believe we are scheduled for 2023.

The Classic Italian kit, didn't strangely get much traction, I'm happy to try again if there's an appetite for it.

Like you I have Italeri, Supermodel and also some of the Esci AFVs which were really nice, 2024 anyone !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

... and also some of the Esci AFVs which were really nice, ...

Every time I read ESCI AFV I can’t help but think of one of the happiest / surprising / shocking / annoying / disappointing five seconds of modelling when after finishing the ESCI Marder III and looking at it after putting it in the display case alongside related Panzersjagers the thing suddenly went “TWANG” and leapt into the air as if it had been hit by a Russian 122mm shell (and here was I looking where that shell could have come from as the Russian Armour was on an entirely different shelf!), flipped over in mid air rolling a couple of times (as if to score additional degree of difficulty points)  crashing down on the German Light Tanks further down the Tank line, finally coming to rest upside down. So “authentic” was this “hit” that I though fire and smoke would be coming out of the wreck. 

The culprit?  Not a Russian 122mm shell nor any friendly fire from the likes if a static 88 or the 128mm of the nearby Jadgtiger BUT the wonderfully flexible then terribly brittle ESCI tracks one of which had broken and the turning of the potential energy of what was in effect a rubber band into the kinetic energy of a 1:72 AFV being hurled through the air. 

Those were the days ... 

• Haha 7

My God @Rob S, I knew there was a reason why I don’t build tanks… there’s more evidence in that early childhood trauma story to suggest (by sticking to aircraft), I’ve made the right choice.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My God @Rob S, I knew there was a reason why I don’t build tanks… there’s more evidence in that early childhood trauma story to suggest (by sticking to aircraft), I’ve made the right choice.

Cheers.. Dave 

You are “safe” nowadays Dave with tracks that can be built up piece by piece (even if it does take more production time!). 

No you have no excuse. I expect to see an AFV build from you in the near future.  

(You can drop hints by the way as to what AFV takes your fancy and you never know it might just land on your doorstep to ensure you build it!) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

You can drop hints by the way as to what AFV takes your fancy

Well we’ve created four individual Gallery categories in the up and coming Matchbox 50th anniversary GB with those great little Matchbox armour kits now have their very own category… it would be a shame not to enter at least one kit in each Gallery would it? Now if you know me well enough, once I get the ‘Armour’ bug it might be hard to stop at just one! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ladies and Gents please forgive the lack of posts from me in this thread the current Matchbox 50th anniversary GB has been truly Epic :surprised:

Please have a look through the stash, all those old Novo kits won't build themselves you know !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the ancient moulds are back (again) as a firm called ACE is putting them to work. This might be my time for a North Sea tanker. All I need is a GB to go with it, now where can I find one of those🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

OK,

I know I'm a bit dim (a bit??? :rofl2:) when it comes to working out where we stand on Group Builds. But where do we stand on Frog Squad II?

I can't see it in the bunfight. It's been moved to future group builds. Does this mean it's now a 2024 GB contender?

I'm probably missing something.

And at this time on a Friday I know what... :beer::beer::beer:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Johnson said:

OK,

I know I'm a bit dim (a bit??? :rofl2:) when it comes to working out where we stand on Group Builds. But where do we stand on Frog Squad II?

I can't see it in the bunfight. It's been moved to future group builds. Does this mean it's now a 2024 GB contender?

I'm probably missing something.

And at this time on a Friday I know what... :beer::beer::beer:

I think Classic builds get an automatic bye. So I believe we get classic Italian, Classic Japanese, and then Frog squad II. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So I believe we get classic Italian, Classic Japanese, and then Frog squad II. 

Not to muddy the waters but I thought we were going to do Italian and Japanese in 2023 and Frog in 2024 owing to the length of the classic GBs otherwise they either need to be cut down to four months or overlap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Not to muddy the waters but I thought we were going to do Italian and Japanese in 2023 and Frog in 2024 owing to the length of the classic GBs otherwise they either need to be cut down to four months or overlap.

Yes I was just paraphrasing you actually have the dates correct. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I couldn't resist this;

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1413&authke

According to Scalemates, this was released in 1963, just after FROG released their new tool Magister. Made in France by Tri-ang. But why Tri-ang?

Tri-ang, more famous for railways (and STEN guns during WW2), was a trade mark of the British company Lines Bros (Lines Frères on the box). I'm assuming that by 1963 FROG was part of the Lines Bros toy making empire. When did Lines Bros acquire FROG, or did they start it?

Edit - from Wikipedia;

in 1932, a marketing partnership with the toy company Lines Bros Ltd. was formed and other Frog brand flying models followed

I'm also assuming that a Tri-ang kit like this would be eligible for the FROG Squad II GB. Tri-ang weren't mentioned in Pat's @JOCKNEY rules for FROG Squad I.

Why was the Tri-ang trademark used for FROG kits made in France? Actually, a reason does occur to me, but I'm not sure it's PC to include it here. Possible offence to National sensitivities? Could it be as trivial as that? Maybe not trivial.

Anyone? Possibly @TonyW?

Many thanks.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

According to Scalemates, this was released in 1963, just after FROG released their new tool Magister. Made in France by Tri-ang. But why Tri-ang?

Why was the Tri-ang trademark used for FROG kits made in France? Actually, a reason does occur to me, but I'm not sure it's PC to include it here. Possible offence to National sensitivities? Could it be as trivial as that? Maybe not trivial.

Anyone? Possibly @TonyW?

Many thanks.

Mansour and Williams, the originators of FROG sold to Triang in the thirties. They stayed on board, developing new products. Their assembly line moved from Fulham to a big unit in Merton

Triang itself was owned by the three Lines Brothers.

You are right about the change of name for continental sales. FROG was fine for the UK but France in particular would not be amused. Triang was also well known in Europe wheras FROG was not. The 'Flies Right Off the Ground' part of the FROG name would not translate very well in other languages either.

• Thanks 3