Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Sadly the days of mass building which I've loved doing for these classic GB's is gone so I need a single project to spin out over the GB there was one Frog kit as a kid

I always wanted to do but it and it's beautiful boxart was always out of reach and out of my price range.........................................

s-l1600 (1)

• Like 16

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sadly the days of mass building which I've loved doing for these classic GB's is gone so I need a single project to spin out over the GB there was one Frog kit as a kidI always wanted to do but it and it's beautiful boxart was always out of reach and out of my price range.........................................

The box art on its own is enough to make you want to build one. It's no current Airfix kit but it scrubs up well with a bit of effort. I'll be following progress intently. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sadly the days of mass building which I've loved doing for these classic GB's is gone so I need a single project to spin out over the GB there was one Frog kit as a kid

I always wanted to do but it and it's beautiful boxart was always out of reach and out of my price range.........................................

s-l1600 (1)

I made this model twenty five years ago when I lived in Canada. I still have it. Not a bad kit if you ignore the front and rear turrets like I did.

IMG_1927[30420]

I think I need to fix the radio aerial 🙂

• Like 14

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sadly the days of mass building which I've loved doing for these classic GB's is gone

I know just what you mean Steve. I have 11 FROGs in the stash, I'll be lucky to complete 2. looking forward to seeing what you do with the Whitley.

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

The box art on its own is enough to make you want to build one.

It really is quite something Tony. They don't do that any more.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 11:41 AM, stevej60 said:

s-l1600 (1)

I had one of these in the stash - an Eastern Express rebox IIRC. However, the mold had deteriorated really badly by then, so I offloaded it once the Airfix Mk. VII was available.

My current build list for this GB is unsurprisingly UK-centric, given that Frog was a British company: Shackleton, Miles Magister (in Irish Air Corps markings), Sea Vixen (1970s tooling), Attacker, Vengeance (RAF SEAC markings).  The Shackleton will of course take up quite a bit of time, and this GB will have to time-share with the WW II "twins" for a few months.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2023 at 1:30 PM, TonyW said:

My lot are buried in the loft at the moment. I'll dig them out nearer the day.

For the record, here's the Renwal AFV kits as reissued by FROG. They were all to 1.32 scale. I know I have the last three for sure. The others are a maybe.

M550 Nike Ajax Surface to air missile

M554 Walker Bulldog tank

M555 Duster  tracked AA gun

M557 ONTOS tank destroyer.

M552 Skysweeper AA gun

M551 203mm SP howitzer

M553 Atomic Cannon

Coming soon to Bury St Edmunds (online bidding possible)

https://www.lskauctioncentre.co.uk/auction/search/?ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&g=1&st=renwal&sto=0&au=806&sf=[]&w=False&pn=1&mc=1051

Lot 661 might be of particular interest just before Christmas. My eye was drawn to a lot with a couple of Rosebud Kitmaster offerings, but it seems they were never issued by Airfix else they'd have been trying their luck for the Airfix classic GB, who knows I might still go for them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Coming soon to Bury St Edmunds (online bidding possible)

https://www.lskauctioncentre.co.uk/auction/search/?ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&g=1&st=renwal&sto=0&au=806&sf=[]&w=False&pn=1&mc=1051

Lot 661 might be of particular interest just before Christmas. My eye was drawn to a lot with a couple of Rosebud Kitmaster offerings, but it seems they were never issued by Airfix else they'd have been trying their luck for the Airfix classic GB, who knows I might still go for them

There's some good stuff there. The 27 percent buyers premium is a bit off putting though. VAT as well possibly? Thanks for the nod.

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

There's some good stuff there

There often is,  I think the buyers premium includes vat. They hiked it up in covid and hammer prices have noticeably dropped since then 

I'm guessing you've seen the car kits, including an airdix 'hot rod'  also sure you're wise enough not to succumb to auction fever. Calculate your max including charges and stick it it!

Quick question that is relevant to my Christmas project choice and indeed also the aforementioned Skyhawk in my earlier post, what’s the ruling on kits not designed by frog that were released in a frog box but aren’t being entered in a frog box if that makes sense? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Quick question that is relevant to my Christmas project choice and indeed also the aforementioned Skyhawk in my earlier post, what’s the ruling on kits not designed by frog that were released in a frog box but aren’t being entered in a frog box if that makes sense? 

Didn't you just accidently throw out the box, leaving you with only the FROG parts? If you also accidently threw out the FROG decals I'm sure later ones would be OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Didn't you just accidently throw out the box, leaving you with only the FROG parts? If you also accidently threw out the FROG decals I'm sure later ones would be OK.

In the case of the Skyhawk the decals will be frog originals so that’s my question half answered, the other is very much new in it’s not frog box with it’s not frog decals, 

F8-FC3-E47-DC95-428-F-87-AD-4121-D5-BE49

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

I'v sorted out my build for this; from my scrap kits, a Messerschmitt 109F. 

All parts except the canopy and pilot are present. The canopy and the pilot have to come from my spares, as will the transfers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Stu, seeing Pat and I are nice blokes and you’ll be using an original set of Frog decals, we’ll give this one the tick of approval. 

My personal view would be to just see original Frog designed or Frog boxed kits (including all the Hasegawa designed ones),but in the brotherly spirit of all things modelling, we’ll probably approve most things within reason. 

Cheers and bring on your Scooter… Dave 

• Like 4

The Neppie will be a nice project @PhantomBigStu and II’ve actually got one of those, however it’s a Hasegawa example so won't be built within the Frog GB. I’ve got too many Frog kits as it is and I’m still undecided what to do! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll commit to this VC10 with the flashing lights! I certainly saw flashing lights when I shelled out for it! Once I see how this is progressing then I can have a think about other kits in the loft.

FJtjiLA.jpg?1

• Like 7

On 29/11/2023 at 22:51, Rabbit Leader said:

Just holidaying with family in Tokyo and a great tip by Andy @Red Dot, helped me navigate my way to a great second hand model store in Akiharbara called Leonardo LG. 

Tip #1 - Take plenty of money 

Tip #2 - Leave the family behind and go on your own! 

Anyway, the amount of kits, decals and books is just amazing, I (and I’m sure most of you) could spend half a day there and still not see it all. A little more air cond at the back of the store wouldn’t hurt either, however it’s a lot of fun and a must see if you’re ever down this way. 

Among my small initial purchase was this little baby… Frog, Aussie decals, lovely box art, in great condition and (as is everything in Japan) sealed in plastic to make it feel nice and new! Even my daughter said.. “Buy it Dad!”. 

I might even crack it open especially for this GB, we’ll see. 

Oh, modeller's heaven when you visit a new town and come across a traditional 'model shop' - I think I would have been found locked in the next day in that one, Dave. That Spit is a first class candidate for the GB - well done, sir.

Discovered another potential entry had I not got myself the neptune (and indeed had more sppace), forgot Frog did a Shackleton which my local has in its modelcraft guise of, the SAAF one is bloody tempting in the PRU Blue/Dark Sea grey scheme, hopefuly someone else does it as I would like to see it done. 

On 12/8/2023 at 10:22 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

The Neppie will be a nice project @PhantomBigStu and II’ve actually got one of those, however it’s a Hasegawa example so won't be built within the Frog GB. I’ve got too many Frog kits as it is and I’m still undecided what to do! 

Cheers.. Dave 

You have not got too many Frog kits!  

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

In the case of the Skyhawk the decals will be frog originals so that’s my question half answered, the other is very much new in it’s not frog box with it’s not frog decals, 

F8-FC3-E47-DC95-428-F-87-AD-4121-D5-BE49

Unless like Murray Walker I am completely mistaken the Frog boxing of the Hasegawa Neptune had decals for a Kon Marine aircraft (not sure if it’s exactly the same as the Revell decals but can check) and a Number 10 Squadron RAAF aircraft when they were based at RAAF Garbutt in Townsville Queensland.  

As mentioned I can check as I have a Frog Neptune … somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Unless like Murray Walker I am completely mistaken the Frog boxing of the Hasegawa Neptune had decals for a Kon Marine aircraft (not sure if it’s exactly the same as the Revell decals but can check) and a Number 10 Squadron RAAF aircraft when they were based at RAAF Garbutt in Townsville Queensland.  

As mentioned I can check as I have a Frog Neptune … somewhere. 

Yep, not sure of the unit but the frog version has raaf decals and as for the Dutch option in the frog it’s aircraft no215 where as revell is 213 

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

a Number 10 Squadron RAAF aircraft when they were based at RAAF Garbutt in Townsville Queensland.  

Which I believe has roundels with slightly mis-shapen (almost pregnant) looking kangaroos, so these at least will need to be replaced with proper proportioned kangaroo roundels. 

Cheers.. Dave 

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Which I believe has roundels with slightly mis-shapen (almost pregnant) looking kangaroos, so these at least will need to be replaced with proper proportioned kangaroo roundels. 

Cheers.. Dave 

That’s a shame to hear, someone on another forum I frequent recently built it and it looks fantastic 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

That’s a shame to hear, someone on another forum I frequent recently built it and it looks fantastic https://modelhangar3.com/thread/16366/built-week?page=21

I can’t open that link Stu, however replacing Aussie roundels should be pretty easy. There’s a few good AM sheets around.