Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

46 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

And why not 😊

That could almost be the theme for the GB … Frog kit… ‘and why not’? 

We’ll gladly look forward to your Twin Spur and Blenheim builds. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Your choices are interesting, however it would appear to be the Encore Beaufort as try as hard as you may, I doubt you’ll find a Frog Tempest 1b in your stash… (Typhoon 1b or Tempest V perhaps?). 

My advice is to start both, then be enticed by a third when someone else builds another Frog Classic that takes your fancy, 

Cheers and enjoy the show.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

too much marzipan! I must stop overdosing on the stuff!

Of course you are right: I meant a Frog Typhoon Mk Ib.... what else.

Unfortunately there are quite a few Frog kits in the stash I could really be attracted to... Life is never easy.

Thanks for rubbing my nose in it.

JR

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, jean said:

Thanks for rubbing my nose in it.

All good Jean, what's a Classic kit GB without a little Banter!

Should be lots of fun and we look forward to your Frog Tiffy build.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

@Adrian Hills, perhaps members can go to Scalemates and filter the search bar for ‘Frog’. There’s more filtering options to the right of the page so you can reduce this list further to remove some other 1990 era kits that are also manufactured by a Chinese company called ‘Frog’. 

In order to retain some semblance of sanity and increase my bench time, I’ve decided to not do a Build list for this GB. I’m afraid these lists become way too time consuming and only leads to modelling burn out. 

I’ll just play the role of happy ‘opposing clock’ co-host who can hopefully contribute to the GB gallery at least once. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 5

On 11/23/2023 at 9:51 AM, Adrian Hills said:

Not sure if this subject has been raised but wondering if we could have a list of all kits produced by Frog and then try and build the lot between us. This worked well for the Matchbox GB.

This might help.

https://frog-cocardes-com.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Also, I think I still have a copy of what was probably the last ever Frog catalogue which I could probably scan in if anybody is interested, though it obviously does not have all the old kits.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just holidaying with family in Tokyo and a great tip by Andy @Red Dot, helped me navigate my way to a great second hand model store in Akiharbara called Leonardo LG. 

Tip #1 - Take plenty of money 

Tip #2 - Leave the family behind and go on your own! 

Anyway, the amount of kits, decals and books is just amazing, I (and I’m sure most of you) could spend half a day there and still not see it all. A little more air cond at the back of the store wouldn’t hurt either, however it’s a lot of fun and a must see if you’re ever down this way. 

Among my small initial purchase was this little baby… Frog, Aussie decals, lovely box art, in great condition and (as is everything in Japan) sealed in plastic to make it feel nice and new! Even my daughter said.. “Buy it Dad!”. 

I might even crack it open especially for this GB, we’ll see. 

Sayōnara.. Dave 

53364945466_96b9d4310e_b.jpg

53364945476_aa4a9311b0_b.jpg

53365387435_9a4b5cd5ed_b.jpg

53365139338_e181c36e67_b.jpg

• Like 14

The kit looks great Dave!

The trouble I have with these classic kits is that I don’t like to open them, especially if they are still sealed. I then buy another one. Ridiculous I know.

The store looks amazing, good thing it’s on the other side of the planet!

Cheers.

• Like 3

Good point @Johnson, I agree it’s probably a crime to crack it open, however I’ll see how I feel when I decide what to build. This GB did motivate me to indulge in this purchase, so I kinda figure I’ll never build it otherwise, so perhaps why not! 

Yes, Japan is the other side of the world for you, but a ‘short’ nine hour flight from Brisbane… and I just happen to work for an airline as well! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not sure what I’m going to build, my bucket list one leftover from the last is the FD and I built that a year ago, my local has second hand the frog meteor and their sea vixen in its revell guise so I suppose they will have to do, probably forgetting something I do want which I’m sure eBay will provide  edit: actually looking forward to doing the meteor given I didn’t get to do a NMF one in the STGB and I bet the frog kit fits better than the MPM f8 I also have 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

I suspect I already know the answer to this one, but nothing ventured and all that...

I have a box of restorable late fifties FROG issues of some of the Renwall AFV range that have been waiting a few years for any attention from me. There's a Nike missile, Skysweeper AA and a big 'u in the form of the Atomic Cannon. There might be a couple of others, It's been a while since the box was opened.

Can any of them be included here? It's a bit like the later NOVO releases only approached from the other direction.

I would love to add a couple to the GB but I'm hardly spoiled for choice if the don't fit. Over to you, Mod's.  Pretty please...

🙇

Tony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CliffB said:

These arrived this morning to spice up my humble Magister.  Decals, masks and some resin bits.

I still need to sort out some spats for the u/c though :coolio:

P1130785.jpg

Good choice, a lovely little plane.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I have a box of restorable late fifties FROG issues of some of the Renwall AFV rang

I’ll venture over to Scalemates and have a look, however does the box say Frog on these things Tony?
If so, I’d say they are more than eligible, but I’ll confer with @JOCKNEY as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll venture over to Scalemates and have a look, however does the box say Frog on these things Tony?
If so, I’d say they are more than eligible, but I’ll confer with @JOCKNEY as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

They are FROG Dave. The boxes are pretty much identical to the originals other than the FROG logo substituting for the Renwal one. I'll dig them out over the weekend and see what's what.

FROG in the fifties were a bit fascinating in that they were searching for a place in the new plastic kit market. Importing other manufacturers mouldings was an easy way of testing the waters. The Renwal connection didn't last long.

The later Hasegawa tie in worked for a much longer period and gave the company a fresh influx of kits to try to keep up with the Airfix upstart. The F104, Super Sabre, Emily, Renzan, Neptune and a whole load of others were the result of that deal. Hasegawa got FROG moulds in return.

There are not many manufacturers who haven't used others products to fill gaps in their ranges. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TonyW said:

They are FROG Dave

I haven’t heard from Pat as yet, however if the box says Frog, there good to go in my books. 
It will great seeing how these come along Tony. 
Cheers and welcome aboard.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I haven’t heard from Pat as yet, however if the box says Frog, there good to go in my books. 
It will great seeing how these come along Tony. 
Cheers and welcome aboard.. Dave 

Absolutely, another series of kits I was unaware of, so it will be great to see them here :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely, another series of kits I was unaware of, so it will be great to see them here :like:

Cheers Pat 

My lot are buried in the loft at the moment. I'll dig them out nearer the day.

For the record, here's the Renwal AFV kits as reissued by FROG. They were all to 1.32 scale. I know I have the last three for sure. The others are a maybe.

M550 Nike Ajax Surface to air missile

M554 Walker Bulldog tank

M555 Duster  tracked AA gun

M557 ONTOS tank destroyer.

M552 Skysweeper AA gun

M551 203mm SP howitzer

M553 Atomic Cannon

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 09:51, Adrian Hills said:

have a list of all kits produced by Frog and then try and build the lot between us.

Great idea.. but, Frog go back a lot longer than Matchbox, and some items are very rare, eg their 50s era DH Venom where the moulds were lost or damaged after a few years, let alone dealing with Frog Penguin.

@TonyW does have all sorts of things like this squirreled away but there's only so much he can do on his own!

I can't recall discussing it with you, but with many of the moulds going to the then Soviet Union and being available under the Novo brand, the moulds  then ended up being scattered about various factories in,  like the Donetsk Toy Factory,  so many budding modellers behind the iron curtain and later also grew up and refined their skills on the Frog range...

This was discussed on here with @Aardvark who lived in Donetsk for example.

Fascinating bit of social history how these kits became a common thread to such separated modellers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Great idea.. but, Frog go back a lot longer than Matchbox, and some items are very rare, eg their 50s era DH Venom where the moulds were lost or damaged after a few years, let alone dealing with Frog Penguin.

@TonyW does have all sorts of things like this squirreled away but there's only so much he can do on his own!

Between us we could probably contribute most of the later range, if not all the early stuff, as already built models. Building the lot from scratch would take a bit of doing!

As Troy points out, I can cover a fair bit of ground with what I've accumulated over the years and I'll be happy to add what I can here.

The usual inspiration thread pinned at the top of the GB homepage would be the natural place for these builds. A couple of sub sections inside that thread for different era kits should see us OK and keep some kind of order to things..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

For the record, here's the Renwal AFV kits as reissued by FROG. They were all to 1.32 scale. I know I have the last three for sure. The others are a maybe.

M550 Nike Ajax Surface to air missile

M554 Walker Bulldog tank

M555 Duster  tracked AA gun

M557 ONTOS tank destroyer.

M552 Skysweeper AA gun

M551 203mm SP howitzer

M553 Atomic Cannon

Here's a photo from the Frog Book:

53371137440_9bbce8eef3_b.jpg

Edited by CarLos
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Pat, please put me on the list. I will participate with the Mosquito that, contrary to many opinions, is a decent kit. Richard Franks bashed it, saying that "the wings are too far up on the fuselage". This is simply not true, as you may see by the photo - Tamiya at left, Frog at right. The big problem is the cockpit opening being enormous, and this creates the illusion about the wing position. Also, together with the 70's Airfix kit, the fuselage begins to taper in plan view only at the wing trailing edge when it should be at the reinfort position, a bit aft of the aileron. This creates a too fat aft portion of the fuselage that can be corrected easily scrapping and sanding.

53371158980_1655a5c284_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just remembered I acquired the frog spitfire 14 a year back for the v1, It would be beyond rude to not build it for this  edit and I’ve just remembered the frog Skyhawk is the hasegawa one so just accepted an offer for the decals from the frog kit to build the Israeli one, built the New Zealand one last time though my copy came without the IDF ones 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 6