Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

5 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

TonyW, for your He177 why not pimp up your HS293s to the D version with a television camera in the nose. 😊

Tempting. I do like the one in RAF markings though and I have decent references for that one. It's Airfix rather than FROG though, so best kept for the appropriate GB.

I'll hold fire on the 177 for a bit to see how the years going to unfold. It's early days yet and my build plans have a habit of getting modified out of all recognition as they progress.

• Like 2

Just a thought.

A few years after Frog ceased trading a number of model shops started offering sets of Frog decals - 40 mixed sheets for 50p or maybe £1. I bought several and I know one or two other modellers here did the same. Some are rubbish with off centred roundels or strange colours but a lot of them are OK and mine still seem to work pretty well though these days I may give them a coat of varnish or Micro Liquid Decal Film as a precaution. So, if anybody entering this GB has a problem with shot decs - particularly true of the Novo boxings in my experience, it would be worth asking our fellow modellers if they have anything suitable. AFAIK I still have multiple sheets for some kits - Mirage, Boston, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen, for example, but those for some other kits never turned up in spite of my sheets coming from at least 2 or maybe 3 sources - I guess they were just selling off surplus decs that Frog had left over from whatever kits were still in production in the mid 1970's.

Just drop me a PM if you are looking for anything and I will see what I have got.🙂

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

54 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Just drop me a PM if you are looking for anything and I will see what I have got.🙂

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have some too that I may not use, so it's always worth asking.

Spirit of groupbuilds in action! :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

@PeterB and @Pete in Lincs I appreciate your kind offers to assist others with spare Frog decals if / when required. Should the opportunity arise, please ensure you don’t leave yourselves out of pocket for any postage charges (at least).

As co-host to this GB, I expect anyone requesting spare decals to offer to cover any ancillary charges as an exercise of good will. Should the donor decide to decline, then well and good, however for good etiquette sake please offer to contribute some money in return. 

We all know there’s an appropriate area within BM for trading, however I don’t mind these types of queries being raised in the GB chat section and then taken offline. 

We’re a generous lot here and this constant avenue of brotherly helpfulness always puts a smile to my face. 

Cheers lads and ladies.. Dave 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@PeterB and @Pete in Lincs I appreciate your kind offers to assist others with spare Frog decals if / when required. Should the opportunity arise, please ensure you don’t leave yourselves out of pocket for any postage charges (at least).

As co-host to this GB, I expect anyone requesting spare decals to offer to cover any ancillary charges as an exercise of good will. Should the donor decide to decline, then well and good, however for good etiquette sake please offer to contribute some money in return. 

We all know there’s an appropriate area within BM for trading, however I don’t mind these types of queries being raised in the GB chat section and then taken offline. 

We’re a generous lot here and this constant avenue of brotherly helpfulness always puts a smile to my face. 

Cheers lads and ladies.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

In the past I have not charged for the few requests for decs I have received except for postage costs when they were going abroad, And, yes - that is one of the things I like about the forum - I have still got a fair few Frog dec sheets and I am unlikely to use many of them in my lifetime so why not let others benefit.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

How are you doing, @JOCKNEY ? I just woke up and made the mistake of posting on BM again so here I am snared! Not sure what the kit will be yet but I do have an embarrassing choice sitting about 20ft above my head! Looking forward to it. Regards, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A warm welcome to the second iteration of the Frog Squad GB, Mike. Pat has somehow twisted my arm to play GB co-host again, so we’ll be encouraging you to visit ‘said loft’ on numerous occasions between Jan and JJun 2024. Should be another cracking year for Classic kit crazies like us! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

A warm welcome to the second iteration of the Frog Squad GB, Mike. Pat has somehow twisted my arm to play GB co-host again, so we’ll be encouraging you to visit ‘said loft’ on numerous occasions between Jan and JJun 2024. Should be another cracking year for Classic kit crazies like us! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. I did do a check to see if you were co-host but didn't see it up on the listing at the beginning. I of course knew better than to even mention the words within earshot of @JOCKNEY but now I know your're 'it', I'm delighted! All the best, Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

...and just to get the hosts further excited, last year I did start to hunt down and pay some silly money for the few hard to get Frog aircraft kits which I didn't have already in my retirement fund stash....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

...and just to get the hosts further excited, last year I did start to hunt down and pay some silly money for the few hard to get Frog aircraft kits which I didn't have already in my retirement fund stash....

Can’t wait to see what these might be! 

• Haha 2

Now that you mention it Mike, you did inspire me to crack on and build my copy of Novo’s Bristol 138A a short while back. I was very fortunate to track down a set of Rising Decals, which was just the inspiration I needed to get stuck into this surprisingly large model. 

52513548629_7c76d8c9dd_b.jpg

52513824958_ac2eec994c_b.jpg

52513553479_76bddac1fa_b.jpg

• Like 10

On 11/16/2023 at 4:13 AM, PeterB said:

Just a thought.

A few years after Frog ceased trading a number of model shops started offering sets of Frog decals - 40 mixed sheets for 50p or maybe £1. I bought several and I know one or two other modellers here did the same. Some are rubbish with off centred roundels or strange colours but a lot of them are OK and mine still seem to work pretty well though these days I may give them a coat of varnish or Micro Liquid Decal Film as a precaution. So, if anybody entering this GB has a problem with shot decs - particularly true of the Novo boxings in my experience, it would be worth asking our fellow modellers if they have anything suitable. AFAIK I still have multiple sheets for some kits - Mirage, Boston, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen, for example, but those for some other kits never turned up in spite of my sheets coming from at least 2 or maybe 3 sources - I guess they were just selling off surplus decs that Frog had left over from whatever kits were still in production in the mid 1970's.

Pete

Ditto the last bit for anyone in Australia as I have a number of excess Frog decals people can have if they need them. 

Looking forward to digging out the Lincoln and dusting it off to try and finish it. 

• Like 1

This GB has suddenly brought angst to my usually placid soul. Rat!

Choice is a terrible thing: what to build?

I have narrowed it down to two likely contenders, unless of course... 

Either the Tempest Mk Ib (small, potentially quick to build.... Say nothing)

Or the Encore re-pop of the Frog Beaufort Mk I, erroneously portrayed as an Aussie Mk VIII.... Who are they trying to con?

So I stupidly decided to see what this august forum would suggest, if only to put an end to my rare lack of decision fiber.

Any suggestion?

Cheers all.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jean said:

small, potentially quick to build.... Say nothing)

I know you said, Say nothing, but I can't help myself- that sounds like a gauntlet to the gods of KUTA if I ever I heard one!!!

So, that'll be the Beaufort 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Why not spare yourself the agonies of choice and build 'em all?  You know you want to...  no  

Hi Enzo,

this is exactly the answer I was dreading... That is not to say that the thought never crossed my mind.

Although I know my limitations, I may just try it, starting with the "quick" one...

What is the worst case scenario? Two more kits on the shelf of doom? Peanuts!

Thanks for the priceless advice.

JR

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I know you said, Say nothing, but I can't help myself- that sounds like a gauntlet to the gods of KUTA if I ever I heard one!!!

So, that'll be the Beaufort 

Hi Mjwomack,

thank you for your concern about offending the KUTA Pantheon. 

I tend to offend as a matter of course the traffic police and all sorts of Gods, be they minor deities or not. 

Such is the story of my life. 

As mentioned to The Magnificent One, his taunt may have pushed me into over-building nonsense. Silly, but fun.

Unless common sense decides to prevail, which I kind of hope it won't.

Have fun and keep up the sacrifices to the gods of KUTA.

JR

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

... but I bet you knew it was coming.  :lol: 

... knowing it may does not mean one may not hope it won't...

I usually hope against all odd. Go figure.

• Like 1

Jean, and to you my friend, let me extend another warm welcome from your opposing Southern Hemisphere continental mate over this side of the world. 

Your choices are interesting, however it would appear to be the Encore Beaufort as try as hard as you may, I doubt you’ll find a Frog Tempest 1b in your stash… (Typhoon 1b or Tempest V perhaps?). 

My advice is to start both, then be enticed by a third when someone else builds another Frog Classic that takes your fancy, 

Cheers and enjoy the show.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

IPMS Mid-Sussex friend Paul Janicki gave me a May 1979 copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling. In it is an excellent article of a ‘how to’ as well as drawings for the Twin Hotspur. I have checked my inventory and in my loft are two Novo Hotspur kits.

I am therefore nailing my colours to the mast and as well as doing both Mk I Blenheims will do a Twin Hotspur !!

And why not 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1