Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

I really enjoyed the last Frog Squad GB but exhausted most of the I remembered from years past so am unlikely to join next year unless I come into a fortune and can afford to purchase one of these.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f128-r-100-airship-with-mooring-mast--162676

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I really enjoyed the last Frog Squad GB but exhausted most of the I remembered from years past so am unlikely to join next year unless I come into a fortune and can afford to purchase one of these.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f128-r-100-airship-with-mooring-mast--162676

I think that's a kit lots of people like to hang on the wall in a frame rather than build !

Good luck with your quest, I'll get counselling organised for the traumatised collectors :cwl:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

And now for something completely different. I've got a bit of a reputation for signing up for a build, and then not completing it, so the fact that I'm already signed up for the M3/M5 Stuart STGB, makes it double likely that I won't finish another one. But......I thought, after looking through the pages of this thread, that there were too many wingey things and not enough (any?) "targets". Yes, believe it or not, Frog did make them as well. Here's the proof;

8TMOPh7.jpg

And if you would allow me to join the GB, that is what I will be building. And I've got these accessories to go with it;

XW8prjG.jpg

John.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And now for something completely different. I've got a bit of a reputation for signing up for a build, and then not completing it, so the fact that I'm already signed up for the M3/M5 Stuart STGB, makes it double likely that I won't finish another one. But......I thought, after looking through the pages of this thread, that there were too many wingey things and not enough (any?) "targets". Yes, believe it or not, Frog did make them as well. Here's the proof;

8TMOPh7.jpg

And if you would allow me to join the GB, that is what I will be building. And I've got these accessories to go with it;

XW8prjG.jpg

John.

Interesting not only a rarity in kit but 1/48th armor was a rarity before the 90’s if my memory serves ? 

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting not only a rarity in kit but 1/48th armor was a rarity before the 90’s if my memory serves ? 

According to Scalemates this was originally a Bandai kit issued in 1975.   It was reissued under the FROG banner in the 1990s.  Clearly that's not the original FROG but it's certainly the original FROG logo on the box.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And now for something completely different

John, I’m afraid your Valentine tank was not a mould produced / designed by Frog Rovex, so unfortunately sits outside the eligible criteria of this Classic Kit Group Build. We had some similar examples proposed at times within the last GB and they were also deemed ineligible. Yes, the box does say ‘Frog’, however this seems to be some Chinese manufacturer reissuing other companies kits from the late 1990’s. Hopefully you can look through Frog (UK’s) back catalogue and participate with some other model. 

Cheers (and apologies).. Dave 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:06 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

John, I’m afraid your Valentine tank was not a mould produced / designed by Frog Rovex, so unfortunately sits outside the eligible criteria of this Classic Kit Group Build. We had some similar examples proposed at times within the last GB and they were also deemed ineligible. Yes, the box does say ‘Frog’, however this seems to be some Chinese manufacturer reissuing other companies kits from the late 1990’s. Hopefully you can look through Frog (UK’s) back catalogue and participate with some other model. 

Cheers (and apologies).. Dave 

Didn't this incarnation of FROG also issue a couple of the Airfix 1/600 warship kits? 

John 

As I only have the Novo Javelin re-pop, I thought it was time to have a look through my transfer bank and see what markings I have spare which would match Frog kits. I am pleased to say that a few candidates have appeared. A quick (okay, prolonged) check at Kingkit has produced quite a long list, all I need to do now is order two of them. The Gipsy Moth is a cert, and I need to decide on the other. That will give me three for the GB, and I will build them all

Ray

• Like 2

On 13/10/2023 at 18:38, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I've got a Gloster Javelin in a Chematic box.

I was under the impression that the Chematic Javelin was frogspawn but further research shows that is not so.   It was a "new tool" by ZTS Plastyk.  However it may have been "inspired" by the Frog kit.   It definitely doesn't use the Frog moulds, so I withdraw the Chematic kit.  

I would still like to build a Javelin so I'll see what that nice Mr Kingkit can do for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I was under the impression that the Chematic Javelin was frogspawn but further research shows that is not so.   It was a "new tool" by ZTS Plastyk.  However it may have been "inspired" by the Frog kit.   It definitely doesn't use the Frog moulds, so I withdraw the Chematic kit.  

I would still like to build a Javelin so I'll see what that nice Mr Kingkit can do for me.

I take it the Mistercraft Javelin is also the ZTS Plastyk rip-off? That's what Scalemates says, and while Scalemates is obviously not infallible, it makes sense. I did buy the Mistercraft kit a few years ago, but offloaded it quite quickly. If it's a Frog knock-off, it may well be an inferior version of the original tooling (gulp!)

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:41 AM, Ray S said:

As I only have the Novo Javelin re-pop, I thought it was time to have a look through my transfer bank and see what markings I have spare which would match Frog kits. I am pleased to say that a few candidates have appeared. A quick (okay, prolonged) check at Kingkit has produced quite a long list, all I need to do now is order two of them. The Gipsy Moth is a cert, and I need to decide on the other. That will give me three for the GB, and I will build them all

Ray

I am pleased to say that the KingKit order has now been placed, and I have the Gipsy Moth and Hurricane IIc in transit to Chez Ray. The Gipsy Moth will be decorated with 26Decals 'King's Flight' colours, and the Hurri with some Xtradecal markings, which option it will be depends on what parts are actually in the box. The Javelin will have a cobble-stone effect of various brands of transfer, and that will be my main focus.

Ray

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 5:38 PM, Mjwomack said:

Some of the ancient moulds are back (again) as a firm called ACE is putting them to work. This might be my time for a North Sea tanker. All I need is a GB to go with it, now where can I find one of those🤔

And as if by magic.... I did! The Alladin's Cave that in Model Behaviour in Long Melford had one in stock (note HAD one in stock). Judging by the amount of flash on it, I may regret this but it's too late now. And boy is it ancient, I mean seriously ancient it's even a year older than me.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-347p-shell-bp-coastal-tanker--162746/timeline 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

And as if by magic.... I did! The Alladin's Cave that in Model Behaviour in Long Melford had one in stock (note HAD one in stock). Judging by the amount of flash on it, I may regret this but it's too late now. And boy is it ancient, I mean seriously ancient it's even a year older than me.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-347p-shell-bp-coastal-tanker--162746/timeline 

I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

I thought there was one in the legendary Salty Seadog GB, but 10 pages of 'trawling' and I couldn't find it in there.🤷‍♀️

Ps You have THE POWER- bring forward the start date of this GB and you can see it sooner:please: (but it has to be after Christmas)

Edited by Mjwomack
Afterthought
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I thought there was one in the legendary Salty Seadog GB, but 10 pages of 'trawling' and I couldn't find it in there.🤷‍♀️

Ps You have THE POWER- bring forward the start date of this GB and you can see it sooner:please: (but it has to be after Christmas)

Blooming Nora, let me get a few builds finished first :pray:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

Would a former frog mold count? I snagged a rebox of the Frog Sea Venom as an Se 203 "Aquillon" and was wondering if it could be built in here. (If not no worries, the heap of flash doesn't scare me at all.... 😅)

• Like 4

I built quite a few kits in the original Frog Squad GB, but I still have a few left in the stash - mostly biplanes, including a Shark, Swordfish, Wallace and Vimy so I will see what I can do. The last two will probably need a bit of modification as they were originally civil types from the Trailblazers range, although the boxing of the Vimy was partially converted to a military machine and I have an article on how to complete the conversion. Will will see!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

My opening salvo for the GB will be this FROG He111. I'll be doing a bit of basic converting and building it as a V1 launch platform.

IMG-20231115-113211.jpg

There's a bit of a theme shaping up here that will cross over to a couple of other GBs, as I have a Fritz X equiped Dornier for the Twins GB and I've dug out a rebuildable He177 with Hs glide bombs underwing for the Classic Airfix GB. I might go captured RAF colours on that one though, and in that case it can join the Dornier in the Twins GB.

Next years possible build programe is already starting to crowd up and the Bunfight is only a few hours settled!

• Like 4