Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Looking through my stash, I find only has one Frog kit, the Canberra B(I)8.  In the interests of stash reduction I think I’ll dig it out and build it.

AW

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking through my stash, I find only has one Frog kit, the Canberra B(I)8.  In the interests of stash reduction I think I’ll dig it out and build it.

I salute you! I did a ghastly repop of it in the Under a Tenner GB a few years back; maybe because it was a repop but the parts were painful. The experience has left me thinking that this time around I'll pay a bit more for a good one and get a Frog original in the hopes that the moulds were fresher at that time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Looking through my stash, I find only one Frog kit, the Canberra B(I)8.  In the interests of stash reduction I think I’ll dig it out and build it.

AW

That was one of my victims in the last Frog GB. A kit still highly rated amongst the Canberra SME officialdom for its good shape and lack of trench like panel lines! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

48797073123_bb72e07c3d_b.jpg

48797570262_e2f5ce1fbd_b.jpg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

If mine turns out half as good as yours I’ll be very happy.

AW

• Like 4

I have just checked out my 1996 Revell re-issue of the Shackleton MR.3. As I already knew, a couple of parts are missing. However, I believe I can work around those. In fact, they may be a blessing in disguise: I was going to sell this off some time ago, until I realised that there were missing parts. It's full of rivetty goodness, just like a Shackleton should be.

115012-11185-pristine.jpg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, klr said:

until I realised that there were missing parts.

There’s every chance spare parts could be sort through BM’s wanted section. I’m sure many half built and modified kits are lurking in BM members attics, so a quick shout out on those pages will probably get you a full kit. Who doesn’t like a Frog Shack…. Bring it on I say. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s every chance spare parts could be sort through BM’s wanted section. I’m sure many half built and modified kits are lurking in BM members attics, so a quick shout out on those pages will probably get you a full kit. Who doesn’t like a Frog Shack…. Bring it on I say. 

Cheers.. Dave 

You mean ... there are people who didn't finish a Frog Shackleton? I'm ... appalled 😲

Now, I also have the Vickers Vimy in the stash, but I know my limitations. And that's from someone who built and rigged the Airfix HP 0/400 many years ago.

• Haha 4

Klr, if you have a Frog Vimy you could always give it a nice airliner fuselage for the attractive blue Instone Airlines Vimy Commercial as seen Croydon airport. There are various aftermarket fuselages available - originally as a Vac form, perhaps Contrail 😊

• Like 3

I've found my first victim for this GB, something a little unusual (well did you expect anything else ! :rofl:) now to check if its complete :fingerscrossed:

How is everyone else getting on choosing  ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, JOCKNEY said:

How is everyone else getting on choosing  ?

I have the old Frog Blenheim Mk.I & Maryland. It’ll be one or maybe both if I haven't built one of them by then ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

I couldn’t find my other Blenheim (1/72) so bought one off Fleabay. I have taken a photo of its fuselage alongside the 1/79 scale one. The build will be an interesting comparison between the kits released in 1969 and 1959. Both will be hand painted in Humbrol in a ‘ traditional’ build. 

Now sorting my Flickr account to put photos up 😊

• Like 5

I’ve just taken a wee look at my Frog / Novo stash and seem to be coming closer to some possible options. Among a stash of kits I purchased from a neglected job lot is Frog’s 1970 AW Whitley, moulded in crisp bright white plastic. Some small parts have been previously assembled and painted, however on a percentage scale I’d say it’s no more than 5%. Clear parts are always a bit problematic on old kits so perhaps grafting one of the new moulded Airfix canopies to this Frog kit might help lift it a bit to modern day standards. I did this with some success on a Matchbox Wellington, so cant see how it wouldn’t work on this old kit. I could even use one of the Airfix kit schemes to save me from buying (even more) AM decals! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 9

I've just done a bit of retail therapy with that nice Mr Kingkit.   I have two Frog kits winging their way towards me:  the Fairey Baccaruda and the Supermarine S6B.  :thumbsup:

Assuming I can get hold of one without having to sell a major organ, it would be nice to build an Airfix S6B in the Airfix GB as well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Assuming I can get hold of one without having to sell a major organ

Our church is getting new organs. They are under production in Germany at the moment. Maybe you could also get some of those German builts and sell them for profit?

• Haha 3

On 21/10/2023 at 16:50, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Assuming I can get hold of one without having to sell a major organ, it would be nice to build an Airfix S6B in the Airfix GB as well.

Good luck with your quest Enzo, I've been looking for a while without success. 

There's a comedian selling early bagged versions for £80 on evilbay currently :cwl:

Cheers Pat 

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good luck with your quest Enzo, I've been looking for a while without success. 

There's a comedian selling early bagged versions for £80 on evilbay currently :cwl:

Cheers Pat 

80 quid for an Airfix S.6B? I would substitute "comedian" with a few other derogatory terms, some of which might get me booted off the forum 🤐

Seriously, the Frog kit is better. I picked up a bagged Novo version for 5 Euro a couple of years ago.

• Like 1