Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

1 minute ago, TonyW said:

You are right about the change of name for continental sales. FROG was fine for the UK but France in particular would not be amused. Triang was also well known in Europe wheras FROG was not. The 'Flies Right Off the Ground' part of the FROG name would not translate very well in other languages either.

Thanks Tony, I thought you would know. I wonder if FROG kits were ever sold in France?

Another thought occurred to me. FROG kits around this time were produced in a lovely shade of yellow. I have a couple of of Proctors in this colour. The photo of the Tri-ang Magister on Scalemates also shows yellow plastic. But the example I just bought is grey, with some flash.

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1415&authke

Looks genuine, has the correct Tri-ang stand. But should the plastic be yellow? No problems if I want to return, King Kit are very good in these matters.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the silver colour. It's quite likely to be correct though, as the French factory used some odd colours for the Triang issues. A bright red Scimitar comes to mind and I think I've seen a bright yellow EE P1.

The parts look flash free which would be another sign pointing towards the kit being an original one.

There is a possibility of it being a Novo kit in a Triang box.

The transfer sheet has wonky roundel centers that are not unusual for FROG/Triang. Original transfers are usually still very usable but Novo ones are complete rubbish!

Tony.

• Thanks 2

On 19/08/2023 at 19:52, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Ribbit!

spacer.png

I think "Little H" may have painted this one, can you confirm @Hockeyboy76 ?

Hi @Johnson

My apologies about forgetting Tri-ang, I've updated the tags to include it and hopefully this GB will flush some of these out and see them being built 

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I think "Little H" may have painted this one, can you confirm @Hockeyboy76 ?

Hi @Johnson

My apologies about forgetting Tri-ang, I've updated the tags to include it and hopefully this GB will flush some of these out and see them being built 

Cheers Pat 

Very much a Little h scheme although she much more into

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I would take ANYTHING from Sir Paul instead of the one I was referring to.

Ok, you asked for it :puke:

Enjoy...

Ring ding ding ding …….. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2021 at 16:47, DaveyGair said:

I have a Frog Maryland that'll I do in markings for a Greece based one, from the sheet I'm using for my Blenheim Mk.1.

Count me in!

Davey.

Great choice Davey

Sorry I missed this post previously,  I was originally thinking of the same kit but now you've got it covered I can go for a different victim in the stash :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Frog Squad II GB 13/01/24 - 02/06/24
On 3/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, Ray S said:

Yes please, just give me time to locate something other than a Novo Javelin re-box that I already have! I seriously need to get some new, affordable transfers that also contain the roundels and fin flash first!

All the best, gribbit, gribbit

Ray

After all this time, I still only have the Novo ex-Frog Javelin and no transfers. Looks like a visit to KingKit* is on the cards for this GB

Ray

*Other dealers are available 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 9:46 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Just been looking at my Frog stash as well…. Quite a few choices, the hard part is choosing something that will keep me interested at least two weeks after I start! 

Firstly, two weeks? how I envy people who can really focus for a long period of time.

But, more importantly, 'quite a few choices'? Surely by now you know the words of our great and benign leader- 'build 'em all'

🤭

• Haha 2

On 11/09/2023 at 08:47, Ray S said:

After all this time, I still only have the Novo ex-Frog Javelin and no transfers. Looks like a visit to KingKit* is on the cards for this GB

Ray

*Other dealers are available 

I might have decals Ray, I'll have a look this weekend.

On 11/09/2023 at 10:50, vppelt68 said:

I'm going to finish either 0% or 100% of my Frog-stash :giggle:

Oh, we can soon do something about that....

What's your address again :wicked:

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I might have decals Ray, I'll have a look this weekend.

Thanks for that. I think it is the roundels and fin flash I really need to check out, I do have some old Scale Aircraft Modelling Javelin specific markings from an old magazine. Masking roundels and fin flashes has never been my forte. I keep hoping Xtradecal re-release their 23 Squadron decal sheet, it had them but I used them on an old Testors Javelin for my daughter.

Don't worry too much though if you cannot find anything,

Ray

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I do have some old Scale Aircraft Modelling Javelin specific markings from an old magazine. Masking roundels and fin flashes has never been my forte.

Although a bit pricey, Print Scale do some Javelin sheets.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72370?result-token=lushT

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72371?result-token=lushT

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72374?result-token=lushT

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72375?result-token=lushT

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PSL72376?result-token=lushT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I haven’t done a group build in a while so could do this one. Maybe I’ll tell the tale of two Blenheims - the first from 1959 in 1/79th scale and the second from 1969 in 1/72. I have both in the stash and this would be a good excuse to build them 😊

• Like 6

I have been through my kit collection twice and I just can't find my 1/72 kit of the Blenheim Mk I. I remember it in its original box and dark blue plastic as I was reserving it to do 'Britain First'. 

In my search I found some gems like the 1/119 scale Wellington with markings engraved in fuselage as well as a similar era 1/72 scale Spitfire with similar features.

Am wondering if someone would fancy swapping a Frog (not Novo) Blenheim for another original Frog kit such as a Baltimore or Southern Cross.  I realise that horse trading like this should be done in the correct place on the BM forum but am just trying here to see if there is interest. 

Other 'surplus' Novo kits in my stash include a Skua and  Maryland.

Perhaps like the previous Matchbox GB perhaps we could have a list of which kits Frog produced ?!

• Like 2

Cheers Guys,

A list of the previous builds is really helpful.

My previous builds include the little Wellington and Hampden. Am seduced by the markings engraved into the fuselage which need to be painted accurately - not a skill I possess ! But looking at my previous builds the result is acceptable - to me. My only other engraved marking Frog kit is a Spitfire so might have to do that one 

• Like 3

I think I might like to stick my oar in the water with this GB. I think I have an untouched Wessex or maybe a Gannet that could both be dressed with ancient Model decals.

Colin The Wessex nut.

• Like 6