Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

Don’t feel bad Charlie, I had a friend over a while back and he brought me a 1/32 CF-104 in Tiger Meet colours. It had fallen and was in rough shape and he asked me if I could make it bare Aluminium. I said where on earth did you get that thing. He said that I gave it to him about 30 years ago. I had absolutely no recollection of ever building it. Such is the life of a senior.

Cheers

Jeff

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Such is the life of a senior.

Cheers

Jeff

Relax Jeff

We are all going the same way :like:

Just save Britmodeller into your favourites so you don't forget about us :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hi Pat and Dave,

Having stripped most of the paint from my wreck of a Lightning, I have no doubt that it's a FROG/Hasegawa/Novo Lightning F.6, kit number F266.

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1889&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1890&authke

embed?resid=B0B7467F81D325AB!1892&authke

I'm going to restore it, and I'd like to do it as part of the FROG GB. BUT! Is it eligible?

Whether it's 25% built is a bit debatable. :unsure:

And do the hosts agree it is a FROG/Hasegawa/Novo Lightning F.6, F266. :hmmm:

What do you think Pat and Dave? @JOCKNEY @Rabbit Leader

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 3

I am planning on starting the Shackleton "soon", probably by the weekend after next.

But I would still like to build one more FROG kit over the next few months, that is not currently being attempted by anyone else. I have the following selection, listed in my personal descending preference order:

Macchi MC.202 Folgore [Matchbox/Revell]
de Havilland Vampire FB.5/50 [Frog]
Arado Ar 234 [Revell]
Dewoitine D.520C [Novo]
Gloster E.28/39 [Novo]
Supermarine Spitfire I/V [Novo] - a Mk. Ia and a Mk. Va from the exact same parts ???
Fairey Firefly [Donetsk Toys Institute] - terrible transparencies
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (razorback) [Novo] - requires a huge amount of work to make it respectable IMHO

I didn't realise the Folgore was a FROG kit until about an hour ago, as I had previously recorded it as a Revell kit. My memory from dry-fitting is that it's reasonably good, and the decals should be OK.

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

Apologies for the lack of reply to your Lightning @Johnson, both Pat and I were away from home when you posted this, so it may have been missed. It appears that it’s not the Matchbox's kit, so I’m happy to bless this rebuild as part of the Frog II GB. Good luck. 

@klr, a Frog GB without at least one Shackleton build just wouldn’t be right, it’s such a classic Frog kit it just has to be built. All your other choices sound tempting too, I have no preference there. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @klr

Definitely go for your first choice with the Macchi MC.202 Folgore, I look forward to seeing it.

Hi @Johnson Charlie please accept my apologies mate, you have reminded me I have a similar unfinished ancient Lightning somewhere. So please bring yours back to life and I look forward to seeing your progress. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @klr

Definitely go for your first choice with the Macchi MC.202 Folgore, I look forward to seeing it.

Hi @Johnson Charlie please accept my apologies mate, you have reminded me I have a similar unfinished ancient Lightning somewhere. So please bring yours back to life and I look forward to seeing your progress. 

Cheers Pat 

The Folgore it is then. I will retrieve it from "Stash B" in a couple of weeks. It may have to be surgically extracted, to prevent a huge pile of kits from collapsing on top of me.

• Haha 5

A quick question, my DH Comet builds are back underway after a bit of a gap, with the Cortina build due to get a look in tomorrow. They are all at the point of needing a lot of drying time for glues and paints, so I figure another build is a brilliant idea as a filler!

My question is, does this FROG Penguin Battle fit the GB? It's a camouflaged version from 1938 and of the restorable Penguin kits I have, this one is closest to completion. By that I mean just about all the parts are there, either original to the model or spares found along the way. It needs the usual straightening out but it's not too bad, I've seen much worse. Every bit of it needs work and that work has to be done without loosing the origins of the model. If the thread gets a go ahead I'll treat it as a guide to basic FROG Penguin restoration and repair.

IMG-20240226-095551.jpg

IMG-20240226-094859.jpg

The canopy is there, but is a tad distorted. This bit will probably be the hardest part of the build to recover.

IMG-20240226-095047.jpg

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, TonyW said:

My question is, does this FROG Penguin Battle fit the GB?

Tony, it most certainly does. I doubt we are ever going to see a GB dedicated to these old kits, so if  its ’FROG’ it fits and we would love to see you resurrect this old gem here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Tony, for me that is a triple WOW. I very much like old kits which is why I’m doing the Frog Blenheim from 1959. Your Battle looks fascinating- I’ve never seen one so please show us all 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Pedro52 said:

@JOCKNEY, can I throw my beginners hat into the madness with these 53566012220_a7b29accbc_c.jpg20240303_195147

I assume one post per model, fully expect to be encouraged to have a crack at all three 😅

Hi @Pedro52

Absolutely delighted you have joined us and yes both you and these 3 kits are very welcome.

Please start you build threads one for each kit, and if you wouldn't mind can you put the F kit number if you have it in the title, as we are using that to keep a track on which of the Frog back catalogue we have managed to include. 

Best of luck with your builds :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

Here’s a little treat for all you Frog GB modellers!! 

After many years of chatting, sparring and general friendly Aussie vs. Scottish modelling banter, your two GB hosts have finally caught up at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. We all had a great day, sharing many family stories and realising just how many things we happen to have in common!… I tell ya, it’s a small world. 

Thanks for the day mate.. it was an absolute pleasure to meet both you and the good Mrs Jockney. 

Cheers. Dave. 

53572781451_51857d0f8d_b.jpg

53572781491_96c08a1677_b.jpg

53572781446_248f8ff316_b.jpg

53573103414_698d1800c1_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I was kind of expecting Robert Shaw and Rik Mayall, but hey. Nice pics, thanks for sharing. 👍

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Here’s a little treat for all you Frog GB modellers!! 

After many years of chatting, sparring and general friendly Aussie vs. Scottish modelling banter, your two GB hosts have finally caught up at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. We all had a great day, sharing many family stories and realising just how many things we happen to have in common!… I tell ya, it’s a small world. 

Thanks for the day mate.. it was an absolute pleasure to meet both you and the good Mrs Jockney. 

Cheers. Dave. 

Good on you, guys! Where are all the kits you bought at the nearest LMS? I'm hoping to meet up with @JOCKNEY sometime this year but we won't have to travel as far to do that! Keep the banter coming! All the best, Mike.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Good on you, guys! Where are all the kits you bought at the nearest LMS? I'm hoping to meet up with @JOCKNEY sometime this year but we won't have to travel as far to do that! Keep the banter coming! All the best, Mike.

Well Mike

As you would expect we did exchange kits when we met up.

Dave was kind enough to give me a Frog Sea Fury complete with the correct decals to build the one on display in Canberra.

And I gave him this...

Notes_240308_192141_149

Picture from Scalemates 

Now I noticed at that point he became quite emotional, now I'd like to think that it was because he was so pleased with my choice for him....

However I have a sneaking suspicion it was tears of pain realising that this kit is an absolute swine to build, will needs loads of work and probably the reason he has avoided it in the first place !  :whistle:

Now if only I'd known that before I gave it to him....:wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I was kind of expecting Robert Shaw and Rik Mayall, … 👍

Pretty sure someone with the skills in photoshop and way too much time on their hands will shortly rectify that. 

• Haha 7

57 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Pretty sure someone with the skills in photoshop and way too much time on their hands will shortly rectify that. 

AI is the new Photoshop Rob… keep up mate! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well Mike

As you would expect we did exchange kits when we met up.

Dave was kind enough to give me a Frog Sea Fury complete with the correct decals to build the one on display in Canberra.

And I gave him this...

Notes_240308_192141_149

Picture from Scalemates 

I knew it! Plenty time to build both kits in this GB, guys….Dave might need some time off work!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

However I have a sneaking suspicion it was tears of pain realising that this kit is an absolute swine to build, will needs loads of work and probably the reason he has avoided it in the first place

Was it that obvious Pat?? 

Actually I had a better look at the Beaufreighter kit this morning and I think I’m warming to it. Just need to find the time and a few hefty handsaws to attack those sprue gates and remove all the flash! 

Once again… Thanks for the kit and I’m glad the decals are those that match the museum’s Sea Fury..that was a pure fluke! 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

.Dave might need some time off work!

I’m liking that idea! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

AI is the new Photoshop Rob… keep up mate! 

Haven’t you heard you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. 

When Ey were Lad “AI” used to mean “Altogether Idiot”. 

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2024 at 6:58 PM, MrB17 said:

I was kind of expecting Robert Shaw and Rik Mayall, but hey. Nice pics, thanks for sharing. 👍

Fixed.  (Well sort of in an old skool way)  

53574963069_7a1ce6c4b7_b.jpg

• Haha 12