Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

4 minutes ago, marvinneko said:

It took me 6 months to do a Hurricane and my Ventura is dragging into month 7 😛 

I would only do one. 

But you've blitzed a blitzbuild since then. Simples for you, but not me

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mr T said:

I have read that the Frog kit is not the most accurate

FWIW, when I built a couple back in previous trainer and FROG GBs, I cut down the rear fuselage to make it taper more in side view towards the tail. I thought anything else was just too much faff. Everything else is slightly off by 1-2mm. I reckoned that was good enough!

Looking forward to your build!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2024 at 14:47, AdrianMF said:

Stretch goal will be a Blackburn Shark

do you still happen to have the Blackburn floats?    I have some Frog Shark decals if needed?  

And I know I  have some Frog and spawn stashed...   So I'd better add my name to the list.

Frog  were a late arrival in my first flush of modelling,  before I discovered 1/48th ... though after Frog went out of business in 77 there were then lots of the kits floating about cheaply for a while.

My DH Hornet and Boston/Havoc were acquired 77/78 maybe 79, and have been rattling about in boxes ever since...  I did have more but I traded them away a few years ago.

I also recall Novo kits popping up in Woolworths in early 77,  nice and cheap but I still recall doing their Barracuda  only to have the decals disintegrate in water....  

I recall doing Blenhiem I, Fokker D.21, Wildcat, Spitfire XIV (first Frog kit, random present from friends mum) Spitfire I/V... sure I did a few more, P-51A, P40B, La-7 Gladiator...looks at Scalemates to refresh memory  He162,   some still exist in a tattered state in the shed....

I was even given a Blenheim and Beaufort by an old mate clearing out his deceased parents house, said he'd found a few other kits recently as well...

cheers

T

• Like 6

Nice backstory @Troy Smith and one that seems to mimic my own. My first recollection of Frog kits was when the family travelled from Australia to Malta in late 1976.

My 20 years older cousin was a modeller and had a glass cabinet full of models. I recall seeing many common Airfix and Matchbox kits, however there was this group of unknown aircraft that I didn’t know what they were. When I asked ‘What are they and who makes that kit?’ Angelo replied “Thats’s a Wyvern and that’s a Gannet, they’re made by Frog. “Frog!! I said, what a strange name, never heard of them, but they both look great!”

Angelo bought me my first Frog kit which was the Hurricane / Sea Hurricane and I loved the coloured paint guide and descriptive text on the bottom of the box. Along with its Dark Blue plastic, the circular Sky Base name plate decal and optional parts are etched into memory. I know it’s not the best looking 1/72 Hurricane kit, but it would be nice to consider building another just for nostalgia sake. 

First viewing of this ‘Novo’ brand was back in Australia a few years later at a local Target store. I don’t recall them being on the shelves too long, however they were cheap and I bought the Attacker and Vickers Vimy. I cried for hours when the Attacker decals disintegrated in water as I didn’t have suitable spares. The Vimy was a nightmare and I botched it up big time, never mind the decals! 

It’s nice to see that modellers still hold Frog kits quite dearly. Like every other manufacture, they produced Spitfires, 109’s and Mustang’s but these were slightly different versions which filled those modelling theme gaps quite nicely. 

This promises to be another great GB. Hopefully we will reduce the stash, rather than add to it, which is a sad trap I fall into during every Classic GB. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Frog  were a late arrival in my first flush of modelling

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It’s nice to see that modellers still hold Frog kits quite dearly.

Thanks Troy and Dave, agree with everything you said.

• Like 3

For me in the 1960s, Airfix kits were available in every Woolworths and even my local newsagents (a big twirling display stand with series one baggies on it). However, you could tell if a toy shop had a modelling enthusiast on the staff, because it would stock FROG kits and balsa wood as well as Airfix kits. Nirvana!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I seem to remember Novo kits were widely stocked by newsagents, presumably because they were much cheaper than the Frog ones they replaced. 

Although even when they were new I couldn't get the Novo decals to work !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

do you still happen to have the Blackburn floats?    I have some Frog Shark decals if needed? 

I happen to have - er - five Sharks in the stash, plus the one I have built, plus an extra set of decals. Not quite sure how that happened...

(nor can I explain the six Wallaces or five Blenheims. 🤔)

Novo started just after I had left school and home and packed my modelling career away, so I didn't come across them for another twenty years.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

On 04/01/2024 at 12:05, AdrianMF said:

Not quite sure how that happened...

Just seems to for some reason....  Perhaps they are an alien species that are breeding and we just don't notice?  

On 04/01/2024 at 11:22, JOCKNEY said:

Although even when they were new I couldn't get the Novo decals to work !

I still recall the disappointment of painting my 22p from Woollies Barracuda,  and the decals proceeding to disintegrate,  and not having anything suitable,  as I was not quite 11, I had no way to get any replacement so kit was never finished....  

This would be early 1977,  as I know we had just moved house, and the Novo kits were at a bargain price,  IIRC being a 1/3 cheaper than a similar Airfix kit.  

Possibly liquid decal film would work on the Novo ones,  I think the big problem was lack of a proper top layer.

Though it seems for many years packs of leftover Frog decals would be sold, there are plenty floating about on ebay even now.

I'm also here to @Glen   to find something in the stash and join in....    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is the moment have been waiting many months for, the Frog Squad II GB.

As you can see our own GB Tsar @Enzo the Magnificent has led by example and listed his builds already !

Please feel free to start your build threads, we kick off on the 13th January. 

Your hosts for this one are @Rabbit Leader aka Dave and I, @vppelt68 is co-hosting the Twins GB so although he will be taking part he will rightly be focusing on the Twins GB.

Good luck everyone 

Cheers Pat

• Like 6

Great to see that Enzo has now activated this Frog GB to ‘current’ status…. although we still have a few days before the official start date. 
Now is the time to finalise your choices, collect all your references in one easy location and ensure your decals are good to go. It’s a long GB, so there’s still plenty of opportunities to obtain AM items or even contemplate building more than one Frog kit. 

I am really impressed that those who have already posted their kit choices have included the Frog ‘F’ number as part of the thread title. This little addition makes it easy to spot a Frog GB thread for all of us to view and follow. 

I’m expecting another pleasant and nostalgia filled GB, so get on board and absorb what kit bashing was like for many of us (as kids!) during the 1960’s and 70’s. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

• Like 5

Thanks, I'm glad to be relieved! There are indeed the WW2 Twins and then NATO 75th GB overlapping each other and this one, so a busy first half of the year anyway for me 🙂

Now I must go find a big rattle can of flat white paint for my 🐸 🏰!

• Like 3

Pat @JOCKNEY … Quick question ? Im pretty sure my build will be a Frog Blenheim Mk.I. Since it was bought 2nd hand I still need to confirm it’s a Frog kit ? If it isn't Im pretty sure the Revell re-pop of the Frog Sea Vixen would qualify wont it ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Pat @JOCKNEY … Quick question ? Im pretty sure my build will be a Frog Blenheim Mk.I. Since it was bought 2nd hand I still need to confirm it’s a Frog kit ? If it isn't Im pretty sure the Revell re-pop of the Frog Sea Vixen would qualify wont it ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f190-bristol-blenheim-mk1-or-mk1f--147661

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just as Big Stu said  have a look at his Scalemates link, if not I'm sure the Sea Vixen will be a great substitute  :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

28 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just as Big Stu said  have a look at his Scalemates link, if not I'm sure the Sea Vixen will be a great substitute  :like:

Cheers Pat 

Im pretty sure it is, it’s in a plastic baggie though. I need to go over it piece by piece to double check for parts and stamps. Im pretty sure the decals only have RAF & Romanian options though no Finnish ? They also don't match the photo of the decals in the Scale-mates pages. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im pretty sure it is, it’s in a plastic baggie though. I need to go over it piece by piece to double check for parts and stamps. Im pretty sure the decals only have RAF & Romanian options though no Finnish ? They also don't match the photo of the decals in the Scale-mates pages. 

One of the frog issues has Romanian decals, here’s a photo of the parts https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=596433326&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB598GB598&hl=en-GB&q=frog+blenheim&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjM9Pf0zsyDAxWbg_0HHccUBl0Q0pQJegQIChAB&biw=428&bih=751&dpr=3#imgrc=jDrLB_FZAxC0dM

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

. Im pretty sure the decals only have RAF & Romanian options though no Finnish ?

the Frog Blenhiem had RAF, Romanian and Finnish options.   But it has been issued by various places in the east, and by Revell 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04102-bristol-blenheim-mki-if--122565

I presume these are eligible, as they were tooled by Frog, but never issued by them? 

164208-24595-60-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/red-star-rs-1-4-red-star-model-kits--164208

PS  there is some of the story of these kits here

http://aviamodelism.ru/kits/F308/F308MiG-3.html

cheers

T

• Like 2

Yes @Troy Smith as you’ve mentioned those Red Star kits were all designed by Frog for the Russian market. They are most certainly eligible and deserve to be built if anyone if thinking that way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

They are most certainly eligible and deserve to be built if anyone if thinking that way. 

I did pick up the LaGG-3, Mig-3 and Yak-3 a while back,  but I know I have various other Frog about,  I'll have to have a rummage,  but from memory

Vengeance, DH Hornet, Hellcat, Wildcat, Corsair, Hurricane, Hunter, FGA9 and F1 (started) Mirage III, Boston, Ju87, Blenheim, Beaufort....

question is how and why do I have them?*  

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Perhaps they are an alien species that are breeding and we just don't notice?  

looks like I was onto something....  or perhaps not...

*Vengeance, - as the one I had age 5 I filled the wheels with glue and they melted....  no one helped so I bought one a few years ago

DH Hornet, - stashed since late 70's, and another bagged one from unwanted model club raffle prize

Hellcat, via a job lot on ebay.... no decals,  but had some from another ebay job lot, bad listing, job lot of decals and in the pic but NOT mentioned in description a FS595B fan deck!!! 

Wildcat, Corsair, Ju87 - job lot of kits for daughter which never got done.... add in a Novo D.520 to that

Hurricane, sealed Frog (ebay job lot) and Novo - ebay job lot

Hunter, FGA9 ebay job lot with Novo Hurricane and decal less Hellcat...

and F1 (started) model club cheapy

Mirage III, unwanted club raffle prize

Boston, - stashed since late 70's, bought in Stoke circa 1978 IIRC

Blenheim, Beaufort.... recent, from an old mate clearing out parental home,  

there are possibly some more....    a Frog spawn F-82 a mate give me... what else in will I find in the dimensional vortex that is the stash? :frantic:

PS - a couple of Sea Venoms, spawn not originals, a Frog Wyvern and spawn, La-7,   again part of a job lot.... I'll need to dig the box out and see if they have bred...

I think I need one of these...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/07/mouse-secretly-filmed-tidying-mans-shed-every-night

The mice I had in the loft didn't help like this... and took ages to catch.  

Edited by Troy Smith
finding out the secret plot that Frog kits breed....
  • Like 5

Hello Pat @JOCKNEY and @PhantomBigStu Turns out I have an original Frog kit #190 for the Blenheim. Sadly the seller added Beaufighter decals to the baggie. But I have found a great looking F.A.A. Scheme from 771 Squadron based at RNAS Hatston Orkney. They operated the Mk.I from 1941 till 1943. I think I can cobble what I need from my spares. This is the boxing I have.

SUSWhi9.jpeg

The Mig-3. Is listed on scalemates as Frog #308. I have the Emhar release of it. Does it count and if so should I start one or two builds ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f308-mig-3--1101787

Dennis

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Pat @JOCKNEY and @PhantomBigStu Turns out I have an original Frog kit #190 for the Blenheim. Sadly the seller added Beaufighter decals to the baggie.

Dennis

I have the decals from this rlease spare if you need them 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I have the decals from this rlease spare if you need them 

Thanks Stu .. I think I will stick with the 771 Squadron plane. Its a bit different and not to hard to get the stuff I will need from spares. 

• Like 1

Elsewhere @Rabbit Leader asked "A question popped into my head the other day “Are there any Frog kits that can still hold their own in today’s market?”.". Rather than go OT in a build thread.

There are still Frog Kits which remain the only example ever kitted in their scale, so in that respect - yes. For example many of the entries in the Trail Blazer series. As to other kits then Frong kits were of a standard applicable at the period in which they were made and priced to that level.  In fact many do hold their own in today's market otherwise it would not be worthwhile companies regularly reissuing them,

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Mig-3. Is listed on scalemates as Frog #308. I have the Emhar release of it. Does it count and if so should I start one or two builds ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/frog-f308-mig-3--1101787

Dennis

Hi Dennis 

Your Mig is all good so 2 builds :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1