Frog Squad II GB Chat

JOCKNEY

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can’t open that link Stu, however replacing Aussie roundels should be pretty easy. There’s a few good AM sheets around. 

Ah sorry forgot it was a members only forum 

edit: also nearly had another potential entry,  my local now has a second hand revell issue of what turns out to be the frog he111 for a nice price, was tempted but just discovered I've sold the airfix decals I was thinking about using on it and the nice price evarporates if I've got to buy a set of decals for it....so maybe not, it is not that much smaller than the shack Ive already ruled out for space reasons    Edit2: I think I have another definite subject, stumbled across some nice mirage v decals I forgot I had as they were on a model decal sheet filed as the other type on the sheet, I’m so using a spare heller nose to convert the frog iii now, I’ve also started my Neptune hoping to get it all done this year 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 6:05 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Which I believe has roundels with slightly mis-shapen (almost pregnant) looking kangaroos, so these at least will need to be replaced with proper proportioned kangaroo roundels. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Usually that’s ESCI decals. 

Looking good so far, mirage has arrived this morning, will get the Skyhawk in the new year and have a third possible entity, saw a build of the saaf Canberra b12 in all over pru blue, just need to check it can be done with the frog/novo decals and that will be my third definite entry :)  edit forgot the spit and the meteor in my local, thats 3 definete and 2 probable 

syhi9afx3ely.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

I have an Eastern Express Sea Venom, an AModel Gipsy Moth 60G and I think I have another Hasagawa OV-10A Bronco in the stash.  Obviously these are not FROG but from moulds nonetheless.  I am sure the question has been asked.  I will ask it again.  May I include these?

• Like 1

@John Masters… all good to go with the Sea Venom and Gypsy Moth as these were  original Frog designed tools. Unless the Mohawk comes in a  Frog Box, I’m a little less likely to allow this one as it is from an original Hasegawa moulding. My preference is to stick to Frog (design or box) for this GB where possible. I’m sure there’s enough subjects and choices out there to keep everyone happy. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Unless the Mohawk comes in a  Frog Box, I’m a little less likely to allow this one as it is from an original Hasegawa moulding. My preference is to stick to Frog (design or box) for this GB where possible. I’m sure there’s enough subjects and choices out there to keep everyone happy. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I find it difficult sometimes to trace the lineage on Scalemates.  😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I find it difficult sometimes to trace the lineage on Scalemates.  😁

All good John, thanks for asking in advance to avoid any issues (as minor that they could ever be). 
I’ll admit, we’ve allowed Stu to build a non Frog boxed, Hasegawa moulded A-4 Skyhawk, however Stu has sourced a set of original Frog decals, so we’ve let this one through. We don’t want to play GB Host Policeman here, just trying to stick to the core subject where at all possible. 

Cheers and thanks for understanding.. Dave 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Saw a build of the saaf Canberra b12 in all over pru blue, just need to check it can be done with the frog/novo decals and that will be my third definite entry

As far as I know, the SAAF Canberra’s were initially painted Silver as Frog have presented their scheme. I’ll have to check references, however do believe there was an interim silver upper / PRU blue lower scheme prior to the all over PRU blue scheme being used until these aircraft were phased out of service. As for decals, the hi-viz castles and large serials were gradually toned down to small items, then obliterated altogether, so best to check a date period that you want to model and go with how it looked at that particular point in time. If your decals are shot, I’m sure a number of us can help you out if needed. I built one of these during the last GB and it’s still one of my favourite kits parked in the cabinet. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

As far as I know, the SAAF Canberra’s were initially painted Silver as Frog have presented their scheme. I’ll have to check references, however do believe there was an interim silver upper / PRU blue lower scheme prior to the all over PRU blue scheme being used until these aircraft were phased out of service. As for decals, the hi-viz castles and large serials were gradually toned down to small items, then obliterated altogether, so best to check a date period that you want to model and go with how it looked at that particular point in time. If your decals are shot, I’m sure a number of us can help you out if needed. I built one of these during the last GB and it’s still one of my favourite kits parked in the cabinet. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Had another look, the build in question was 452 rather then 453 as per the kit, but looking at it I should be able to do it using the kit decals and xtradecal smaller code letters from the spare box :) https://imodeler.com/2014/10/english-electric-bi-mk-12-canberra/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

I have an Eastern Express Sea Venom, an AModel Gipsy Moth 60G and I think I have another Hasagawa OV-10A Bronco in the stash.  Obviously these are not FROG but from moulds nonetheless.  I am sure the question has been asked.  I will ask it again.  May I include these?

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@John Masters… all good to go with the Sea Venom and Gypsy Moth as these were  original Frog designed tools.

IIRC, AModel later produced their own, totally new, version of the DH60G (possibly with the same box art as their original FROG re-pop?).

There are many differences between the two kits, but the most obvious is that the later Amodel comes with two sets of wings (early/late style).

Also, the FROG kit has its lower wing is split into two parts (port/starboard).  The later Amodel has one-piece lower wings.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Appreciate the additional information @CliffB. I may have jumped a bit too early on the Gypsy Moth this morning so if its a completely new tooled kit and not something similar to the Frog design then I’m afraid it will be deemed ineligible for this GB. Apologies @John Masters, however can you please verify your Gypsy Moth kit with the parts shown within these original instructions and self assess its suitability. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

can you please verify your Gypsy Moth kit with the parts shown within these original instructions and self assess its suitability. 

I checked...Scalemates doesn't have the plans for my specific kit but an interweb search revealed that they look much different and the moulds are different too.  So no dice.  That's ok.  Thank you again for the heads up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, Mjwomack said:

I'm thinking that there's going to be so much interest in the airfix Gannett soon, I'll go very retro and get the frog 1:72 version. It's such an ugly bird that I can't help but love it 

I DID men this, when I wrote it, but then this fell off Santa's sleigh and right into my lap. OK, it was Mrs Santa's sleigh because she knows what I like...

20231226-164015.jpg 

So, it's back to exhausted and flash castings for me....

20231226-164129.jpg 

I might well go for the Atlantic Models P/E set to tidy up the railings etc. But I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP! For the instruction sheet

20231226-164242.jpg 

A very rushed office photocopier edition, and no resolution whatsoever for the decal placements. I've managed to find copies of the assembly ages on the fabled t'internet. But if anyone is able to share a copy of the painting/ decl placements, I'd be very very grateful... I think and I think not putting 'oilplug' where it should be 'fireplug' or vice versa would be a good thing

TIA

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I DID men this, when I wrote it, but then this fell off Santa's sleigh and right into my lap. OK, it was Mrs Santa's sleigh because she knows what I like...

20231226-164015.jpg 

So, it's back to exhausted and flash castings for me....

20231226-164129.jpg 

I might well go for the Atlantic Models P/E set to tidy up the railings etc. But I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP! For the instruction sheet

20231226-164242.jpg 

A very rushed office photocopier edition, and no resolution whatsoever for the decal placements. I've managed to find copies of the assembly ages on the fabled t'internet. But if anyone is able to share a copy of the painting/ decl placements, I'd be very very grateful... I think and I think not putting 'oilplug' where it should be 'fireplug' or vice versa would be a good thing

TIA

Don't know if this helps.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Don't know if this helps.

Pete

It helps in that the general advice is, 'Don't go there!' But I won't be building to that excellent standard, and it's one of those kits that I've always fancied; so I'm diving in (well on the 13th Jan I will be)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

It helps in that the general advice is, 'Don't go there!' But I won't be building to that excellent standard, and it's one of those kits that I've always fancied; so I'm diving in (well on the 13th Jan I will be)

The author of the thread is still active on BM so he may be able to help with info, and I thought the pics might give you an idea of the location of some of the parts and decs. I could not see the "Plimsol" loading line markings on his kit though I would have thought they would be near the bow, but it does show the placement of the names, BP/Shell badges, funnel band and at least one of the "No Smoking" decs. The only Frog ship kit I ever built was a destroyer.

I did note his comment about it being a crap moulding so good luck!

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeddahbill said:

This old kit is certainly a challenge, but it is not overly difficult to improve, just tedious.  Have a look at the link above and if you have questions I will be pleased to help.

Regards,

Bill

Huge thanks, please don't block me when the PMs start pouring in like a hole below the waterline. Straight off it won't be anywhere near your standard of excellence but I'll be trying for something presentable.

• Like 3

Well, here are the 4 I hope to build.

DSC09346-crop DSC09348-crop

I also have the Novo Swordfish which, given time, might get built as a pre-war floatplane and the Gloster Whittle E28/39, but I remember how much work Dave @Rabbit Leader had to do on his in the first Frog GB in 2019 to get the dimensions correct, so I might not bother with that one! Both the Vimy and Wallace were originally moulded as civilian "record breakers" and although the Vimy was subsequently re-released as an RAF machine it still needs a fair bit of work according to a conversion article I have to hand. Whether or not the Wallace also gets converted to a service machine remains to be seen.

Pete

• Like 7