Dragon PzKpfw. IV Ausf. F2(G)

Getting close to finishing this one up.  A few small details left (the wheels are off until I paint and install the tracks, which are already assembled). I’ve had this kit (and some other Dragon Pz IVs) in the stash for more than a decade and now I can’t understand why I didn’t start one of these ages ago.  Very nice, fun kits.

51018390151_67fa9ee82f_b.jpg 51018486197_a0328d1412_b.jpg 51018486137_43efb6ec0d_b.jpg 51017660218_84b5c31a50_b.jpg

• Like 15

This is fantastic! Great job, I really like it.

It's painted RAL 8020, right? Which markings are you going for?

I built Dragon Pz IV D, and enjoyed it very much. Really like these kits. Have Dragon Pz IV E and F1 waiting in my stash.

Nenad

• Like 1

Your IV looks great, the paintwork and weathering is excellent.  Particularly like the paint effect on the exhaust, looks really good and very realistic. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Like 2

I decided to go with the kit decals rather than risk screwing up painting the markings.  Red paint (which I’d have used for “Red Four”) is unforgiving if you make a mistake-very difficult to correct!

These will be blended/weathered when I install the tracks.

51024116566_681c65607e_b.jpg 51024215427_bf5e889454_b.jpg 51024116636_86bebc34f9_b.jpg 51023387733_09c3df75d7_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 13

Looks really great.
The new box at the back looks like a real, much better than the old one. Great tank, I really like it! Will the tracks be left black?

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vytautas said:

Looks really great.
The new box at the back looks like a real, much better than the old one. Great tank, I really like it! Will the caterpillars be left black?

Vytautas

Thanks! That resin box was bothering me every time I looked at it.

I’ll add some more browns for track washes and finish with dust when I put it on a base.  It actually has dark grey with one application of both track wash brown and dust, but it’s too faint, so will have to reapply.

Just gets better, really like what you've done with the paintwork and weathering. 

May I ask how you achieved the finish on the exhaust?

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just gets better, really like what you've done with the paintwork and weathering. 

May I ask how you achieved the finish on the exhaust?

Cheers

Darryl 

I usually paint them either the old Humbrol Gunmetal or, since the good old stuff is no longer available, flat black enamel on occasion.  This was the old formula Humbrol which I have a tin or two that are practically dried up (the newer stuff doesn’t work) and then some dark rust-colored pastels.  I don’t like bright orange or over-rusted mufflers since they don’t look like anything I’ve ever seen in the wild and these tanks didn’t have a long enough shelf life to get bright orange mufflers.

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, f matthews said:

I don’t like bright orange or over-rusted mufflers since they don’t look like anything I’ve ever seen in the wild and these tanks didn’t have a long enough shelf life to get bright orange mufflers.

Exactly, when you consider the life span of these, the colour and patina you've achieved looks just right. Take a look at a year or two old exhaust it can go from a pale grey / buff colour to a dark grey / brown, as you've depicted. 

Brilliant thanks, gives me something to experiment with!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...