1/72 Fujimi CH-124, full interior, Eduard PE, BelcherBits, custom decals

First build thread, so why not detail what I'm doing with an older 1/72 Fujimi H-18 Flying Tigers Sea King to convert it to the 443 (MH) Sqn. 60th Anniversary CH-124 (12407).

Here's the stash that I've been accumulating for quite some time.

IMG-4250.jpg

My plans for the build;

1. Try to recreate a full interior mostly from memory (obviously within reason, it is 1/72 after all).
  2. Sliding rear cargo door.
  3. Open side crew door.
  4. Modify the airframe to Canadian spec (circa 2004).
  5. Custom printed decals.
  6. Fold the MRH.
  7. Maybe fold the pylon (due to storage space).

I still remember being a young technician trying to help install this exact vinyl livery on A/C 407.  Once it was done I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, and I always wanted to have a model of it on my shelf.  In reality, I spent most my time trying to help rid the A/C of 6 million bubbles around the button-head rivets so the Hornet wouldn't fly-off on its own.. haha.  Still do this day I miss the smell of LPS3 or a Sea King hangar.. Those were great memories with an awesome squadron.

Pretty much first thing I did was build the Eduard side facing console.  Yes, it's not 100% accurate to what's in a CH-124.. But, it's pretty close.

IMG-4254.jpg

Then moved on to carefully cutout the side crew door and add some PE steps.  I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to install the tiny step reinforcements.. I doubt anyone would see them anyways.  

IMG-4255.jpg

IMG-4256.jpg

Next, I started filling the exterior cavities that needed to be filled.  Or to be more specific, the center tank gravity feed boss and the extra window behind the LH sponson strut.

IMG-4253.jpg

You can also see that I extended the floor to meet up with the tail boom.  

Obviously I had to start smoothing any visible fuselage interior walls.

IMG-4257.jpg

That's about it for right now.  I've got to figure out how to make some interior bulkheads and shelves now that I can start designing the interior.

• Like 5

An excellent choice, had a real affinity with the Seaking mainly in the RN but also had these in plant when I worked on the CH149. Lovely aircraft, looking forward to seeing this going together.

• Like 1

Not much actual "building" today, just a lot of computer work trying to design the rear cabin fuselage stations.. The good and bad thing about this aircraft is what you see on the exterior (rivet lines), is what you have to reverse engineer on the interior if you want it to look correct.  After all, there's no insulation covering anything back there.  Hopefully once I get the stations installed there'll be enough material that I can wrap some thin styrene to seal up the gaping hole that leads into the doghouse (transmission area).

Right now I'm just waiting for the PVA glue to set before cutting out each station from the 0.75mm styrene sheet.

IMG-4259.jpg

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

How did you draw the rib outlines accurately?

Initial course measurements of the LH fuselage were taken with a depth micrometer at as close to regular intervals as I could along the planned station path.  You'd think this would net accurate results immediately; unfortunately, it doesn't due the diameter of the probe tip used and the complex curved interior shape of the fuselage.  After I inputted those readings into Adobe Illustrator I had a very wrought shape of the fuselage interior with a large amount of error.

After I mirrored the part; then proceeded to smooth out the path using curves.  After a few rounds (six to be exact) of print/cutout/test CAD work (cardboard aided design) to verify that everything was ok..  I, settled on the final thickness and shape to reflect some reference photos I found online.

So yeah.. that's how I did it.  It was a long process.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, zibbit said:

Initial course measurements of the LH fuselage were taken with a depth micrometer at as close to regular intervals as I could along the planned station path.  You'd think this would net accurate results immediately; unfortunately, it doesn't due the diameter of the probe tip used and the complex curved interior shape of the fuselage.  After I inputted those readings into Adobe Illustrator I had a very wrought shape of the fuselage interior with a large amount of error.

After I mirrored the part; then proceeded to smooth out the path using curves.  After a few rounds (six to be exact) of print/cutout/test CAD work (cardboard aided design) to verify that everything was ok..  I, settled on the final thickness and shape to reflect some reference photos I found online.

So yeah.. that's how I did it.  It was a long process.

Rough take off for a smooth landing.

• Like 1

Sorry for limited updates so far; as there's not much to report.  I'd say this is proving to be more tedious than I had originally imagined.  I've found out that polystyrene REALLY doesn't like "hot glue", or more specifically Tamiya extra thin cement.  It much prefers slower (cooler) glues with I guess less solvents in them, like Modelmasters black. 

Anyways, I got all of the stations cutout.

IMG-4260.jpg

Then started glueing them into place.  Unfortunately you have to wait until each station dries/cures completely before moving on to the next station as there's not much strength until that happens.

IMG-4261.jpg

I think I'm going to have to install the two major longerons that run down each side of the fuse to connect all the stations together to provide a little extra rigidity.  This should be fun to install the rest of the interior and paint it.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 2

Small update for today.  

I managed to get the all the rest of the stations installed, along with framing in the sliding side door frame, and a couple black-box shelves just aft of the door frame.  Can you tell electrical wasn't my forte?  haha  

Essentially I'm trying to concentrate on items I've had to look at on checks, bumped my head on while moving around the A/C, cursed at because it was in the way, or bruised my knuckles on.

That being said, I'm pleased that the fuselage halves still close up, and all the stations appear to be in approximately the right spot and perpendicular to the floor or existing features..

IMG-4263.jpg

IMG-4264.jpg

IMG-4266.jpg

IMG-4268.jpg

Now it's time to figure out how to create the Sonar, bathtub, and maybe a few black boxes for those shelves.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 1

Today managed to install a couple longerons providing a little strength to the fuselage stations. Plus you can see I installed one of the black boxes for on the LH rear parcel shelf.  I think the RH shelf is going to stay empty because you won't be able to see anything on it once the model is closed up.

IMG-4280.jpg

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 4

Now that the fuselage framework construction is for the most part completed, it's time to start playing around with the furniture.

So, I started with the rear cabin seat since it'll be the most prominent detail looking through the sliding side door.

IMG-4281.jpg

The kit provided unit left much to be desired because it looked like it was rigid concrete park bench.  So, I pulled out the trusty Dremel with a round bur tip and went to town removing material to simulate sagging cloth draped over a steel frame.

Then, I cut off the backrest because on the real A/C it's not one piece.  Each seat had their own cloth back support where we conveniently stored spare life vests for the occupants.  The straps holding the backrest were attached to a rail via some hooks to facilitate quick tension adjustments or life vest retrieval.

To simulate that, I used a combination of styrene strips and flat stock.  I still need to build some life vests to hide behind each backrest and three sets of seatbelts.  But, it's a start.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 1

Having everything one color sure changes the look of the model..  primary color I used was Iso thinned XF-53.

IMG-4294.jpg

Might have to add the bathtub to the model just to break up the grey.. after all, 95% of the time we had one installed anyways.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 1

Side facing console is done.  If I remember correctly the electronics are probably 2 generations newer than what we had.. however, it's just barely visible eye candy when it's viewed through the crew door so I doubt anyone would notice anyways.

IMG-4296.jpg

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 2