Build opinions 1/48 Airfix vs. 1/48 Bronco P-40C for AVG

Tokyo Raider

Hi Guys...  planning my build schedule.  I wanted to know your opinions on 1/48 Airfix vs. Bronco P40C...

I have both kits.  The Bronco looks better in the box, but it has too shallow of a cockpit (not too much issue as i close up canopy) but the canopy shape is not accurate.

Airfix looks good, but not the surface detail of the bronco.  But how do these kits BUILD?  I am trying to decide which to build for an AVG subject.

Thanks!  Bob

Edited by Tokyo Raider

• Tokyo Raider changed the title to Build opinions 1/48 Airfix vs. 1/48 Bronco P-40C for AVG

The Bronco P-40 has a shallow cockpit with the cockpit floor being much higher in the fuselage than it should be. In fact, the cockpit floor in p-40s was the upper surface of the wing. This is the same inexplicable error that Trumpeter made. That said, in other respects, the Airfix kit is more accurate and straightforward to build though there is little exterior rivet detail. 
If you don’t care about the cockpit issue with the Bronco kit, then it can be made into a nice model that at least looks the part externally. For that matter, so can the Trumpeter kit.

The biggest problem of the Bronco kit for me is the fabric control surfaces are really wavy and not realistic.

I love that the Bronco kit has split flaps deployable...  i ordered some resin control surfaces for hobbycraft, will see if they can fit on the Bronco p40.

Like Seawinder I have only built the Airfix kit, quite recently and recall a joyous build.  The nose area is a little fiddly with the multiple inserts but otherwise a really good fit and easy build. Cockpit had a few ejector pin parks in the sidewalls that needed filling but are not easily seen once built.  Not sure the P40 was festooned with visible rivets, and the Bronco ones look a bit too prominent to my eye but each to their own.

Here is mine finished.

https://ipmsavon.org.uk/build-page.php?page_id=118

• Like 2

I found myself actually smiling on multiple occasions as I built the Airfix kit - it was that enjoyable. I was extremely pleased with the end result using kit decals and would happily build another should a subject catch my interest.

As a lifelong P-40 fan the short, flat-bottomed cockpits of certain kits kills them for me. Even with a closed cockpit.

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I found myself actually smiling on multiple occasions as I built the Airfix kit - it was that enjoyable. I was extremely pleased with the end result using kit decals and would happily build another should a subject catch my interest.

As a lifelong P-40 fan the short, flat-bottomed cockpits of certain kits kills them for me. Even with a closed cockpit.

Your post reminded me. I also found myself smiling as I built mine. I was also building a Tamiya D520 at the same time and both kits were such a joy after some other "nasty" builds they really lifted my mood.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 3:33 AM, neilh said:

Your post reminded me. I also found myself smiling as I built mine. I was also building a Tamiya D520 at the same time and both kits were such a joy after some other "nasty" builds they really lifted my mood.

Thanks guys.  I need a smiling build!  I am building a tamiya mosquito currently and want to keep smiling...  so i will build the airfix p40 next!

On 3/9/2021 at 12:32 AM, Seawinder said:

I had a really enjoyable time building the Airfix P-40B, and I found the detail quite adequate. Can't comment on the Bronco kit as I don't own it.

FWIW, pics of my Airfix build here:

https://seawinder.smugmug.com/2020-Models/Curtiss-P-40B/

Nice job on that P-40 , Pip !

mine is mostly built with under-surface color and base-coat for top and ready for 2nd layer camo as soon as I whip up some masks.

• Thanks 1