Cyber-Hobby 1/72 Sea Venom FAW.21

I gave everything a Dark Dirt wash when I got in from work and wiped off when dry.

Undercarriage and sundries were stuck on so she's on her feet.

ac25ILd.jpg

GBxMW9c.jpg

LwOlO6v.jpg

qYGAR9x.jpg

i5tlwJV.jpg

GtbBphD.jpg

bjiCkA7.jpg

Just need to fix the pitot that I broke off and scratch up the air intake vanes and she'll be ready for a final satin coat, canopy unmasking. some white decals strips on the canopy and then I'll fit the wings.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes, looking very nice indeed Alistair.   If I didn't already have too many kits in the stash, I would get one of these. 

Great work fella 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's not a bad wee kit.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Good work Ali, she's looking very smart :) 

I'm a bit worried about the transfers on the canopy though - they're not on the masking are they?

Nah, I'm sure they're not, but be careful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good work Ali, she's looking very smart :) 

I'm a bit worried about the transfers on the canopy though - they're not on the masking are they?

Nah, I'm sure they're not, but be careful!

Thanks Ced,

I've just had a quick look and I think they're off the masking but I'll run a fresh blade along them before unmasking just to be on the safe side.

I still have a couple of the dotted yellow stripe decals so they can be patched if necessary.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking very, very nice, Alistair!

Thanks very much.

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Gosh, I look away for a few days and come back to find a masterpiece! Very nice work Alistair, especially in wrangling those stripes into place!

Craig.

Thanks so much but I think masterpiece may be a little much. :D

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

This is looking fantastic, beautiful colours! I remember making the Frog kit, they’re tiny aren’t they. 

Thanks very much,

They're really small, I was  surprised when I opened the box.

20 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Not far from the finishing line now Alistair.

All looks good from this part of the world.

Simon.

Thanks so much.

Not too far now.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Back to the observation about wing span: I don’t have a dimensioned drawing for the FAW.21 but a pretty good reference gives the wing span as 42’ 11”. Measuring the kit parts, I get a wing span to the outboard side of the tip tanks of 42’ 9”” plus or minus about 2”. However, continuing on to tip of the fins on the tank, the span is 44’ 8”. Note that aerodynamicist will ignore the fin and maybe even the tip tank but the deckhands will want to know the actual width of the airplane. The tip tank width is a little under 2 feet, so it seems that the reduction in the kit’s wing span, if in fact there should be one (or a modeler would be inclined to make one), might be one tank width. Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing or butt line data for the span dimension?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fitted the intake vanes. Had to use stretched sprue as I couldn't get the brass parts I'd cut to fit in successfully.

A couple of coats of Satin Varnish and unmasking later.

PyHyaku.jpg

a0RWZx1.jpg

FyMF1rf.jpg

cc0iPq9.jpg

cOz4T2Z.jpg

Ced called it about the canopy transfers though. They lifted in a couple of places with the masking.

I thought I had some spare ones with the kit but must have chucked them in the bin whilst tidying up, Luckily I had something very similar on a Lightning stencil sheet.

These were sliced in two and then placed over the missing bits as they were extremely close in colour.

MVmvlRJ.jpg

I tried using white transfer paper sliced to get the white canopy stripes on but it was too sticky and stretchy without a top coat, so MicroScale Decal film has been brushed on and it will be left to dry and then I'll finish off the canopy tomorrow or sometime in the next couple of days.

Then it'll be the tail clear pieces and it'll be done.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wow, Alistair, she's turned out wonderfully well, an absolutely brilliant result!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Not quite finished yet. She's up in my display case at the moment with a toothpick propping up the slightly drooping wing until the glue sets properly.

I've just got the white canopy strips to put in and glue in the clear pieces on the tail.

Plenty of opportunities to mess it up. :D.

Chuffed with the results so far.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, azscearsy said:

Hi Alastair,

That looks fabulous.

I have wondered about this kit for sometime but having seen your build, I will definitely be getting one.

Great job

Andy

Thanks Andy,

That's very kind of you.

It's a nice wee kit with some fit issues but nothing a little care and attention can't overcome.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I got back from work this evening and I'm calling her done.

Jf2RUqZ.jpg

The white stripes are out of scale but they were as thin as I could cut them without tearing the paper.

RFI Here

I would like to say thanks very much to everyone who has reacted or commented on this thread for the support and encouragement you have given me.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7