Recon Panther

F9F-5P Panther, US Marines, September 1956 - MCAS El Toro, CA

51016637937_9fa4be1598_o.jpg

Kit: Revell F9F-5P Panther (Recon) (#04582)

Scale: 1/48

Paints: Vallejo Model Air, Vallejo Metal Colour

Weathering: Flory Models Wash, Mig weathering Products

Revell Recon Panther based on the 90's Monogram kit. No big issues with the kit, even if it feels/looks a tad dated. Decals were bit problematic at first but finally they conformed to the surface.

51016543471_a60af644de_o.jpg

51016638002_1c07afe5ef_o.jpg

51015813538_985396e9d3_o.jpg

51016638067_2c98799eb9_o.jpg

51016543371_665ca05b65_o.jpg

51016637797_9f34e21e73_o.jpg

51015813203_4938a72d85_o.jpg

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Reini - I love the weathering effect you have achieved on the Gloss Dark Sea Blue. Also like the white canopy framing - is that decal inside/outside?

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

@worcesterjohn Sure thing.

I painted the model black first. Then painted over the model with very light grey/white using the Vallejo Weathered Paint stencil, creating lot of light spots over dark base.  You can freehand it too, no problem but its very fast with the stencil.

Next I painted over the model using my choice of paint (in this case Vallejo USN Glossy Sea Blue) - very lightly first. Then repeat until you are happy with the base shading showing thru still enough but not too much. 

Next, after the decals and varnish, I applied Flory Models Grey wash and wiped off the excess. And to finish it off, some focused streaks with Ammo MiG Streaking Effects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reini said:

@worcesterjohn Sure thing.

I painted the model black first. Then painted over the model with very light grey/white using the Vallejo Weathered Paint stencil, creating lot of light spots over dark base.  You can freehand it too, no problem but its very fast with the stencil.

Next I painted over the model using my choice of paint (in this case Vallejo USN Glossy Sea Blue) - very lightly first. Then repeat until you are happy with the base shading showing thru still enough but not too much. 

Next, after the decals and varnish, I applied Flory Models Grey wash and wiped off the excess. And to finish it off, some focused streaks with Ammo MiG Streaking Effects.

Reini, that's hugely helpful..a mini masterclass ! I don't have an airbrush. so I will have to recreate your effect with a brush and a rattlecan (I've picked up a tin of Testors Model master Dark Sea Blue, so we'll see how that comes out) The weathering stencil is an interesting idea, I'll look into it and I've been recommended the Flory washes before so will I'll get some of the grey. I guess the secret is to avoid overdoing it, as from all accounts the Sea Blue Gloss was tough as old boots and the carrier based aircraft in particular were very well looked after, so often looked surprisingly clean. Thanks again for revealing your secrets :)

• Like 1