P-51D Cockpit Sets & Masks (for Eduard) 1:48

P-51D Cockpit Sets & Masks (for Eduard)

1:48 Eduard

boxtop.jpg

Eduard’s new Mustang kits are growing in number, and their recent Weekend edition (84172) is just one of many.  If you’ve changed your mind and decided that you want to augment the detail, then now’s your chance.  Two sets of mask and Photo-Etch (PE) for that kit, and some new SPACE 3D Printed sets for the -10 and -15+ blocks, which bring the latest technology in 3D printing on decal paper to the fray, coupled with a sheet of PE that complements their detail.

P-51D-5 Weekend Zoom! (FE1141)

This set contains one pre-painted nickel-plated fret of PE that holds a complete replacement instrument panel as a lamination of three printed parts; a leather(?) pouch behind the pilot’s head armour; a set of four-point seatbelts; a substantial upgrade of the instruments and equipment in the fuselage sidewalls; a grille and splitter for the radiator intake on the exterior, details for the ends of the flaps; patch under the intake; a stay for the cooling flap; openers for the tail wheel well; a template to scribe a panel under the wing; anti-sway braces for the pylons; perforated spacer for the lower lip of the canopy, plus a ring-and-bead sight as back-up for the gunsight.

fe1141.jpg

bin.jpg

Masks (EX740)

Supplied on a sheet of yellow kabuki tape (not pictured), these pre-cut masks supply you with a full set of masks for the canopy, with compound curved handled by using frame hugging masks, while the highly curved gaps are in-filled with either liquid mask or offcuts from the background tape.  In addition, you get a set of hub/tyre masks for the tail-wheel, allowing you to cut the demarcation perfectly with little effort, as well as masks for the gunsight lens and landing light.

bin.jpg

P-51D-10 SPACE 3D Printed Cockpit Set (3DL48003)

Part of Eduard’s new range of combination 3D Printed decals with a pre-painted PE sheet to complement the details.  The 3D Printed sheet contains a brand-new one-piece instrument panel with glossy dial faces plus a substantial number of dials, smaller panels and a bunch of small placards.  The PE set has a set of four-point seatbelts; levers for the throttle quadrant; ring-and-bead backup sights and sway braces for the wing pylons.

3dl48003.jpg

bin.jpg

P-51D-15+ SPACE 3D Printed Cockpit Set (3DL48004)

Part of Eduard’s new range of combination 3D Printed decals with a pre-painted PE sheet to complement the details.  The 3D Printed sheet contains a brand-new one-piece instrument panel with glossy dial faces plus a substantial number of dials, smaller panels and a bunch of small placards.  The PE set has a set of four-point seatbelts; levers for the throttle quadrant; ring-and-bead backup sights and sway braces for the wing pylons.  If you’re wondering if you’re reading the same paragraph twice, I can assure you that you aren’t.  The difference between the two sets is slight though, with some changes to dials on a couple of parts being the only difference between them.  They are different however, and it’s entirely appropriate to have the two sets.

3dl48004.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

Excellent detail throughout, and if you have buyer’s remorse about the level of detail in your Weekend kit, those extra sets are going to save your bacon.  The 3D Printed panels lend themselves well to the layered look of WWII aircraft, and the end result is realistic, with little effort needed to apply them.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

It would be great to try and do a side-by-side between these, their LooK set and the Quinta Studio version to see the difference. What the manufacturer's are putting into these details just seems to be getting better and better. In fact its actually caused me to stall on a couple of builds in the anticipation (or rather 'hope') that one of the manufacturer's will bring out Space/3D sets for those (I'm thinking the oft neglected British subjects such as the Tornado, Harrier and Jaguar). Even then I'm hoping I'll still have enough time to actually fit them and get enough of the kit done before yet another manufacturer ups the ante with a cockpit set that actually has working switches! 😮

4 hours ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

Can anyone explain the "3D" part of the description - are there multi-layer items or something else?

They are decals but they are 3D printed so they have relief but apply as decals. Its not easy to see in the pics, and I think the Eduard ones have less definition than others I have seen.

• Like 1