Riich Models RV35005/1:35 Skoda RSO-Radschlepper Ost

Another one getting attention on the bench this month is Riich Models excellent Skoda RSO Radschlepper.  These look increasingly difficult to get hold of these days, at least from my tinterweb searching abilities from the UK, and I wish I had purchased another. It is beautifully moulded with sharp detail and a real snap together Tamiya-esq fit.

spacer.png

This monster metal wheeled goliath comes with a complete engine, two load-bed options and a fret of PE to replicate the more delicately sized parts.  Care is needed drilling multiple holes in the wheels and the only fit issues I found was the fuel tank sat a touch high on the chassis impeding the cab fit.  Easy fix to shave a little off as the connection is hidden. Even easier if you know about it beforehand😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A Notek headlight was sourced from the parts bin and some fine copper wire was used to simulate the engine pipework. The white putty strip on the fender is the filled in locating slot for the missing drivers side engine panel

spacer.png

This is almost at the same stage as the Ferdinand because I mixed a bunch of different Dunkelgelb paint mixes knowing both kits would not receive any camo. I figured a monochrome finish would benefit from a slight colour modulation to spice things up. Both this and the Ferdinand received a Red Oxide primer (Tamiya fine rattle can) and the wooden areas of the RSO a fine coat of grey to simulate the wood underneath.  Then a couple of coats of hairspray were sprayed to allow me to chip and scratch down to the primer.  The paint surface always appears very 'scratchy' dry and flat during the hairspray chipping stages but once a varnish coat and a pin wash applied it comes to life.

For both this and the Ferdinand I am using Tamiya acrylics.  The Ferdinand received a far greater degree of modulation although both went through the same painting process. I started with a Red Brown for the lower hull and running gear, then a mix of Red Brown and Dark Yellow a little higher up. Dark yellow was the next coat that just concentrated on the lower casemate area and all upper surfaces. This was followed by a Dark Yellow 2 lightly sprayed on higher areas of the hull and horizontal surfaces. To finish up a Dark Yellow 2 and Flat White mix highlighted just the horizontal surfaces.  As each of the mixes often received more than one coat, they were deliberately kept light so I could still agitate the hairspray and get right down to the primer with some of the scratches and chips. 

Various light sand coloured Vallejo paints were then brushed on to raised surfaces like bolt heads and handles so the detail would pop once a pin wash was applied.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A couple of light coats of satin varnish were then applied. Although the modulation is hardly noticeable on the above pics, they are a lot more pronounced in reality.  Overall, I thought the colour looked a little too sandy, so I added a little Clear Yellow X-24 to the X-22. 

Various mixes of Abteilung oils were then carefully applied as a pin wash and left to dry for a few days. Happy it was dry enough any overspill oil work was carefully blended in. The contrast of the pin wash, the slight modulation and the brush painted highlighted areas can now be seen to greater effect.

spacer.png

Progress so far

spacer.png

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

What an unusual model, looks good though, painting is excellent..

Ed

Thanks Ed

Some WIKI history of the Radschlepper

It was designed by Ferdinand Porsche in 1941 and produced by Škoda in Mladá Boleslav. Around 206 vehicles were produced between the years 1942–1944.

The idea of a heavy multipurpose tractor, intended for the prepared invasion of the Soviet Union supposedly came from Adolf Hitler. In 1941 Ferdinand Porsche prepared a design of a four-wheel drive tractor, distinguished by its large diameter - 1.50 m (4 ft 11 in) - steel cleated wheels. The vehicle was powered by Porsche's own design air-cooled, inline-four petrol engine of 6023 cc displacement. As a starter, a two-cylinder petrol engine (half of KdF-Wagen engine) was used.

Final development and production took place in the Škoda automobile plant in Mladá Boleslav, in what was then the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. The RSO went through its first trials in 1942, but results were disappointing; high weight and narrow wheels caused high ground pressure, causing the tractor to get stuck easily even on relatively solid surface. On icy surfaces, the vehicle was almost impossible to steer. Fuel consumption was also unfavourably high. Production still went ahead despite these problems, with around 200 tractors produced during 1942–1944. Because of their faults, they were never deployed on the Eastern Front; instead they served in Normandy and the Netherlands. Some of them supposedly participated in the Battle of the Bulge.

No vehicles are known to have survived to the present day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues blending in darker oil mixes to give the vehicle a well used and worn in appearance. Subtle shadows and highlights were added to the the metal work areas and the wooden components treated to more of a 'wash' to bring out the wood grain in the panels.  Next up is to work on those massive metal wheels

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8