Getting into car modelling for a beginner

MBM

3 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Hi, not sure is the answer from me, but it has been discussed on this forum. Andy

Thanks Andy, much appreciated, I'll check it out.

M

• Thanks 1

@MBM welcome to the :worms:

TL;DR the Revell kit builds well enough, but isn’t accurate around the roof. If he loves E-Types this may or may not annoy him. He could wait for the convertible, which will be more correct (the coupe kit has the shorter convertible windscreen, which is why the roof is too low). Or he could wait for the rumoured retooled coupe body, if it ever arrives. Or buy one of the Heller kits, which look right but are more difficult builds... The existing Revell convertible is 1/25 and nearly 60 years old, but it ain’t bad...

nest,

M.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:57 AM, MBM said:

...advice that I can pass onto him would be greatly appreciated...

have patience and don't think his initial efforts a waste if they don't measure up to those he admires in magazines or internet photos. try to explain the years it takes to duplicate the efforts of experienced modelers and for now, focus on "the basics".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MBM said:

33 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

have patience and don't think his initial efforts a waste if they don't measure up to those he admires in magazines or internet photos. try to explain the years it takes to duplicate the efforts of experienced modelers and for now, focus on "the basics".

Hi Charles,

Thanks very much, I'll pass on the link to him.

I would agree with that 100%, I find even with around a decade of modelling experience under my belt I compare my work to others and this is something I've told him firmly and I'll pass on your advice too from a car pro!

Best wishes,

M

• Like 1

Grab one of those Molotow pens for touching up Chrome, far easier and he can do it himself. And yes, window masks are amazing but I think those are specific to the Japanese manufacturers (not sure).

• Thanks 1

I’m no expert, but having been a beginner for quite a few years now, I would have to agree that you need to spray the body, it’s something that doesn’t look right unless it’s smooth. To start with, I had Halfords primer, car paint and clear coat. My spray booth was a cardboard box in the garden 😂  Even now I have an airbrush, I still tend to brush everything else

I had a friend who bought the Revell E-Type convertible & he gave up as he found the engine too hard. But as I’m sure you know, the easiest kits aren’t always the most rewarding 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

Grab one of those Molotow pens for touching up Chrome, far easier and he can do it himself. And yes, window masks are amazing but I think those are specific to the Japanese manufacturers (not sure).

Good idea, I forgot those are useful for small touch ups. Is the Molotow colour the exact same as the kit plastic mostly? 

It does seem to be this way but with some aircraft kits other manufacturers seem to be including them more often these days.

Thanks,

M

30 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

I’m no expert, but having been a beginner for quite a few years now, I would have to agree that you need to spray the body, it’s something that doesn’t look right unless it’s smooth. To start with, I had Halfords primer, car paint and clear coat. My spray booth was a cardboard box in the garden 😂  Even now I have an airbrush, I still tend to brush everything else

I had a friend who bought the Revell E-Type convertible & he gave up as he found the engine too hard. But as I’m sure you know, the easiest kits aren’t always the most rewarding 

Thanks,

Yes I would agree 100% there. I'm in the process of refurbing some old aircraft models I did when I was a kid and they're brush painted, light and day between my kits of today and those I did back then. I think on cars it would be even more noticeable the difference between spray cans and brush painting. 

I forget sometimes that its easy to use spray cans in a box in the garden! I'm so used to airbrushing......

Is it possible to leave the engine out or is it connected up to the front wheels? If it's to tough I'm sure he'll be able to just to close the bonnet and just not paint it/detail it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MBM said:

Good idea, I forgot those are useful for small touch ups. Is the Molotow colour the exact same as the kit plastic mostly? 

It does seem to be this way but with some aircraft kits other manufacturers seem to be including them more often these days.

Thanks,

M

I can't generalize, but at least it won't be something that really draws your eye there instantly.

10 minutes ago, MBM said:

Thanks,

Yes I would agree 100% there. I'm in the process of refurbing some old aircraft models I did when I was a kid and they're brush painted, light and day between my kits of today and those I did back then. I think on cars it would be even more noticeable the difference between spray cans and brush painting. 

I forget sometimes that its easy to use spray cans in a box in the garden! I'm so used to airbrushing......

Is it possible to leave the engine out or is it connected up to the front wheels? If it's to tough I'm sure he'll be able to just to close the bonnet and just not paint it/detail it?

I’ve not built it myself, (but did buy one after my friend said he gave up), but most car kit engines can be seen from underneath, but there’s no reason to add the fiddly bits if you’re not interested in showing the engine

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2021 at 10:35, cmatthewbacon said:

@MBM welcome to the :worms:

TL;DR the Revell kit builds well enough, but isn’t accurate around the roof. If he loves E-Types this may or may not annoy him. He could wait for the convertible, which will be more correct (the coupe kit has the shorter convertible windscreen, which is why the roof is too low). Or he could wait for the rumoured retooled coupe body, if it ever arrives. Or buy one of the Heller kits, which look right but are more difficult builds... The existing Revell convertible is 1/25 and nearly 60 years old, but it ain’t bad...

nest,

M.

Thanks, 

I think I'll suggest the Revell kit then, I don't think he'll be a stickler for every shape and detail being just right, anyway I hope I'm not wrong there....! 

Cheers,

M

On 10/03/2021 at 17:40, MBM said:

Thanks,

M

It's not exactly the same colour as kit plastic, but it is pretty close and you'll have to look closely at the model to see the difference. It also goes over kit chrome (well, Tamiya and Revell chrome at least) so if there's a large proportion of a piece which needs patching up you can get away with doing the whole piece without having to strip the chrome first.

• Like 1