Beechcraft King Air 200

45 (Reserve) Squadron, RAF Cranwell, 2021

Mach 2 kit as marketed by Two Six Models

I picked this one up from Models For Sale a few months ago, mainly because it included a really nice set of decals for the current RAF training version.

The kit was typically Mach 2 – lots of flash, nearly unusable transparencies, wings at odd angles if you assemble it straight from the sprue, brittle plastic, etc. Ironically the cabin windows were moulded quite well and would have been usable, but alas the windows were too small and had to be drilled out a bit (there was also a window missing which had to be added) so in the end I used Humbrol Clearfix. I had to find another nosewheel as the kit provides 5 identical wheels but the nosewheel should be bigger than the mains. My replacement is a tad on the large size but there were so many compromises on this one that I just wanted it finished. The props were completely unusable and I replaced them with a set modified from the Airfix F27 Friendship, including cutting off the blades and resetting then in feathered pitch. All undercarriage doors were replaced. Numerous coats of Halfords grey then white primer, followed by Appliance White, reasonably covered the huge expanses of Milliput. Undersides were Xtracolour Roundel Blue. The decals were nice and I got there in the end. None of the above was a surprise – I’ve made enough Mach 2 kits to know what to expect now – and actually it’s good old fashioned enjoyable modelling.

IMG_5463

IMG_5465

IMG_5466

IMG_5457

IMG_5456

IMG_5453

IMG_5468

IMG_5469

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work Chris, I assume it's 1/72 like Mach2's other kits? Shame they don't make this in 1/48 otherwise I'd get it straight away. How big is it overall?

I like the subtle weathering, very realistic to the real thing.

Cheers,

M

1 hour ago, MBM said:

Excellent work Chris, I assume it's 1/72 like Mach2's other kits? Shame they don't make this in 1/48 otherwise I'd get it straight away. How big is it overall?

I like the subtle weathering, very realistic to the real thing.

Cheers,

M

Hi there. Yes it’s 1/72. Wingspan about 22cm. Thanks for your comments

Brave man, taking on a Mach 2 kit! Well worth it though, it has come out very nicely and it is great to see a more unusual subject like this.

Cheers

John

That is a great result Chris 🏆 You would not know you started with the Mach 2 kit.

I am tackling my first Mach 2 kit and it is not as bad as everyone makes out IMHO. Have a few more in the stash.

:thumbsup:

Stunning work on a difficult kit. That's a livery I have never seen. I used to provide security for the Governor if Florida ( Jeb Bush) who flew in a white over orange King Air. Wanted to build that aircraft, but could only find it  offered by the same manufacturer, so I demurred. Great job. Thanks for Sharing

Beautiful job on this!  I have always loved the King Air, its a lovely plane.  Have to agree with MBM - I wish this were available in 1/48.  Actually, after reading what you needed to do to get this to come out I wish it were available in 1/48 from someone else.